Menu

Suggestions for spelling and writing for third grade?

gandpsmommy

I need ideas for a writing curriculm and spelling resources for my third grade son.

We are using MCT Language arts for grammar, poetry, vocabulary.

I have used All About Spelling and Writing With Ease in the past with my older child, but I'm not sure they are what my son needs.

He really dislikes writing, but he is pretty good at it when I can get him to do it. He has a very difficult time memorizing spelling words just for the sake of memorizing, but he remembers words that he wants to learn to spell. He can spell words that are phonetic.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Terri

How is his handwriting? What do you think about sentence compositions?

I am working intensely with a tutoring student right now, that I predict will only be doing handwriting, spelling, copy work, and sentence composition for "writing" for at least 6 months.

I am head over heals in love with How to Tutor and the Spalding cursive handwriting instructions in Writing Road to Reading 6th edition.

For copywork and sentence composition, I am OCD about the model sentences I present. I don't pick them for literary quality, but for how efficiently they model a grammar concept. I generally pull them from grammar workbooks and handbooks.

I was just taken to task over the weekend by a friend who also tutors. She complained I don't like to move out of my comfort zone and don't expect my students to either. I disagree. They have experienced so much failure. I like to present a set of steps, reaching high, but evenly spaced without obstacles on them. I think writing curriculum often expect too much too soon, without proper preparation.

I've started using sight word lists for handwriting practice, as well as the HTT lesson copywork. I expect very little composition out of a student who cannot write many sight words quickly.

I think the proof of slow and steady is when a student hugs you and says, "I didn't think I would ever be able to do that!"

I like to present intensive phonics/spelling at the same time I teach cursive handwriting. I think they are a marriage made in heaven.

His handwriting is really good when he takes his time. He detest writing, though. He doesn't mind it when he chooses to do it on his own, (writing stories about our dog over the summer, or writing down lists of items he wants to add to his rock collection, etc.). He really resists it in school, though.

His handwriting is really good when he takes his time. He detest writing, though. He doesn't mind it when he chooses to do it on his own, (writing stories about our dog over the summer, or writing down lists of items he wants to add to his rock collection, etc.). He really resists it in school, though.

I find that resistance, whether it is myself or a student, is usually rooted in lack of mastery in a foundational area. When I go back and identify and shore up the weak spot, the resistance often disappears.

Or the resistance has to do with non academic issues, like lack of sleep, not enough good food, or a general character issue.

Wherever the problem shows up, the hole is often one or two or even three steps backwards. I like to go back to where there is no resistance at all and the look at the levels between no resistance and where the student "should" be and see if it's just ONE missed thing, or whether I have placed a student too high.

I also look at how WIDE the curricula I'm using is. I often use NARROW curricula, that allows me the time to move through it more slowly, and repeat lessons.

I know I'm talking in generalizations and not offering you a curriculum name or a quick fix.

One series I've seen lately, that look useful in certain situations is the Evan-Moor daily 6-trait writing. They are mini lessons that can be applied to general writing.

When I'm trying to systematically teach composition, I personally like Climbing to Good English, because it is narrow, leaving me time to remediate and repeat lessons.

I looked at the Killgallon sentence composition and didn't like the samples I saw. I don't like literature as models. It's doesn't feel as systematic and efficient as possible. I never looked much at the rest of MCT. I hope others can be more help.

After I read your original post again, I feel like I'm writing in circles as not answering your question.

I like Rod and Staff for both. I really like it for the English. Writing is included. I like the writing instruction more and more as the years go on (4th grade and up) but it begins in 3rd.

The spelling is simple and traditional, but it gets the job done. For my natural speller, the spelling word selections are too easy. She uses it a year ahead and the focus is more on the vocabulary work than the spelling. For my 3rd grader that needs a lot of spelling help 3rd grade is right on target. We add spelling tiles once a week for some kinesthetic aspects to the program.

My son was a reluctant reader and VERY reluctant writer. We used Phonics Road last year and sent him to PS this year - he still has to be pushed to write in lower case (because he taught himself bad uppercase a long time ago and so it's easier for him), but when he does it's very neat. The phonograpms in PR help with the non-phonetic words. We didn't get to the spelling instruction, but Spalding is supposed to be great (PR is based on Spalding).