Menu

I live in a weird world...

My province just electe its first female Prime Minister. In lots of parts in our world, she would be a target just for being female.

But no... Not where I live, her gender is barely mentioned, She's a target because she speaks the majority's language???

I will be praying for the one dead - a technician, and one critically injured.

Strange, strange, world.....

That's so sad about the shooting, but I am glad for Quebec. Seriously, the liberals have tolerated corporatists and anti-labor/ anti-democratic to their political detriment. I'm not surprised the Quebecois are getting fed up with it, and ready to go radical if need to be safeguard their values.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/05/world/americas/canada-election-shooting/index.html

I don't believe there's any specific Quebec values to be defended, apart from the fact that we're more left-wing than anywhere else in North Amrica. Even our right wing is to thhe left of everybody else....

Just for the record, and I know no one asked, but I feel the need to say I did NOT vote for the elected party. I definitely do not share. *their* values, even if I'm in their target population....

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/05/world/americas/canada-election-shooting/index.html

I don't believe there's any specific Quebec values to be defended, apart from the fact that we're more left-wing than anywhere else in North Amrica. Even our right wing is to thhe left of everybody else....

Just for the record, and I know no one asked, but I feel the need to say I did NOT vote for the elected party. I definitely do not share. *their* values, even if I'm in their target population....

lol, I understand, but it wouldn't offend me if you did share them. I certainly do. And look at my location. Talk about being displaced!

There was another thread about Canadian elections a few days ago, and until that point, I'd never heard of ANY of this. Is my head buried in the sand that much, or are our news outlets just not reporting it?? Sorry for the chaos up there... I hope things settle quickly.

You had to dig down some sights to see anything. I only found it because I read this thread and went looking.

The Quebec voters have elected a separatist government yet again.

I personally hope their agenda is fulfilled and that the Quebec people get what they have clearly mandated their leadership to do.

I'm tired of feeling that we are held hostage by this one province.

(surprised that we are being allowed to talk Canadian politics???)

I personally hope their agenda is fulfilled and that the Quebec people get what they have clearly mandated their leadership to do.

Canadians are so much nicer about politics than Americans. Plus, this feisty Americans would LOVE to see any Canadian being slightly less than polite:lol:.

It's a minority government which will not be able to get a referendum. We won't be leaving the country - yet. Really it's a minority in this province that wants to separate, but a very vocal one.... I'm sorry you feel we're holding you hostage. Canada is just a weird country, a weird family where we all get on each ohter's nerves at times....

Canadians are so much nicer about politics than Americans. Plus, this feisty Americans would LOVE to see any Canadian being slightly less than polite:lol:.

... Sorry, I tired. I couldn't bring myself to say anything that might be considered rude.

The closet I got was I find that it's rude (I at first wrote unpleasant - but changed it to the more powerful rude) of people treating someone badly due to what language they speak, or prefer to speak.

I hope that any differences between the English and French can be settled in a way that makes everyone as happy and content as possible.

... Sorry, I tired. I couldn't bring myself to say anything that might be considered rude.

The closet I got was I find that it's rude (I at first wrote unpleasant - but changed it to the more powerful rude) of people treating someone badly due to what language they speak, or prefer to speak.

I hope that any differences between the English and French can be settled in a way that makes everyone as happy and content as possible.

:iagree:to the bolded.

I don't mind reading about Canadian politics here because American news hardly notices most of the world exists. I was on vacation once in Florida, talking to a Canadian man. I asked him about an election, and he thought it meant I knew they just had an election (which I didn't). Boy was he excited to meet an American he thought (wrongly) knew anything about Canadian politics!

I don't mind reading about Canadian politics here because American news hardly notices most of the world exists. I was on vacation once in Florida, talking to a Canadian man. I asked him about an election, and he thought it meant I knew they just had an election (which I didn't). Boy was he excited to meet an American he thought (wrongly) knew anything about Canadian politics!

So did you 'fess up or bluff? :)

Exactly. You know when I was in high school we had a teacher that talked about this often. Quebec has been threatening to separate for decades and honestly a good chunk of Canadians are more than happy to let them do so. Anyway, the teacher I had used to say that by living were we do we would actually fair quite well if Quebec split. The maritimes would be screwed big time. Ontario already thinks it is the entire country anyway, but really has little other than gov't. The western provinces and territories hold pretty much all the resources that Canada needs. In the end if Canada was to split apart, the western provinces and territories would come out on top, so he figured let them split. It will not impact us out here negatively 1 bit.

It's a minority government which will not be able to get a referendum. We won't be leaving the country - yet. Really it's a minority in this province that wants to separate, but a very vocal one.... I'm sorry you feel we're holding you hostage. Canada is just a weird country, a weird family where we all get on each ohter's nerves at times....

To hold hostage may not be quite the right word. Mais peut-être d'extorquer?

Threatening separation, insisting on (and getting) its own separate nation status, its own tax system, its own citizenship system, yet still taking the lion's share of transfer payments.... this is what the rest of Canada sees and knows of Quebec. QC routinely passes laws that would be considered openly discriminatory in other provinces. It makes no sense looking in from the outside.

Even on this board, what everyone else seems to remember about homeschooling in Canada is the trouble Quebecers always have. And, the rest of the Canadian homeschoolers feel like we have to justify for ALL the other provinces and remind them that only Quebec seems to have this problem. We all get judged on that, as if the whole country is just like Quebec. It isn't.

Either way, it is uncomfortable to be francophone or live in francophone communities outside of QC and be judged on the doings of QC just because we share the same language sometimes, or all the time, or even just have a French last name. At times like now, uncomfortable isn't the right word either.

J'adore la langue. Je deteste la politique.

Edited by Audrey
clarity

My province just electe its first female Prime Minister. In lots of parts in our world, she would be a target just for being female.

But no... Not where I live, her gender is barely mentioned, She's a target because she speaks the majority's language???

I will be praying for the one dead - a technician, and one critically injured.

Strange, strange, world.....

Cleo, I'm coming at this from a different perspective, so here are my 2 cents as a Quebec anglophone.

First off, she's the premier, not the prime minister. Canada only has one prime minister. Quebec is still part of Canada the last time I checked.

Second, she's not a target because she speaks the majority language, she's a target because she is blatantly racist against those who don't have it as their first language. The things she has said lead those of us who struggled to learn French rather than being lucky enough to grow up fluently bilingual feel that she will make our lives a living hell.

Third, totally agree with you about the shooting. I don't agree with the woman's politics, so I am leaving, not killing people. There's no justification for the violence that happened last night and I hope they throw the book at him.

Still friends, I hope. :tongue_smilie:

Exactly. You know when I was in high school we had a teacher that talked about this often. Quebec has been threatening to separate for decades and honestly a good chunk of Canadians are more than happy to let them do so. Anyway, the teacher I had used to say that by living were we do we would actually fair quite well if Quebec split. The maritimes would be screwed big time. Ontario already thinks it is the entire country anyway, but really has little other than gov't. The western provinces and territories hold pretty much all the resources that Canada needs. In the end if Canada was to split apart, the western provinces and territories would come out on top, so he figured let them split. It will not impact us out here negatively 1 bit.

But it would be a terrible thing if the Maritimes had to "be screwed," IMO. They've done absolutely nothing to deserve that.

Cleo, I'm coming at this from a different perspective, so here are my 2 cents as a Quebec anglophone.

First off, she's the premier, not the prime minister. Canada only has one prime minister. Quebec is still part of Canada the last time I checked.

Still friends, I hope. :tongue_smilie:

Sorry, my bad. It's the same ord in French for both positions, and I never pay attention. I should, I know. But they're just the same thingin my mind, just at different levels, by virtue of being the same word in my native language. No political sub-meaning was intended. We simply have a provincial "premier ministre" and a federal "premier ministre"

I'm very tempted to move too, but I'm staying to take care of my parents, and to allow my husband to take care of his mom. Plus my ancestors plowed this land, dammit! But I really don't like what's happening. Thankfully it's a minority government, and it won't last long. I'm just hoping the next one won't be a majority

Either way, it is uncomfortable to be francophone or live in francophone communities outside of QC and be judged on the doings of QC just because we share the same language sometimes, or all the time, or even just have a French last name. At times like now, uncomfortable isn't the right word either.

J'adore la langue. Je deteste la politique.

and it's even uncomfortable to be a francophone in Quebec who doesn't mind speaking English, who raises her kids bilingually with no fear of them losing their French identity. And yet to be judged like a separatist crazy whenever I

leave the province.

Sorry, my bad. It's the same ord in French for both positions, and I never pay attention. I should, I know. But they're just the same thingin my mind, just at different levels, by virtue of being the same word in my native language. No political sub-meaning was intended. We simply have a provincial "premier ministre" and a federal "premier ministre"

I'm very tempted to move too, but I'm staying to take care of my parents, and to allow my husband to take care of his mom. Plus my ancestors plowed this land, dammit! But I really don't like what's happening. Thankfully it's a minority government, and it won't last long. I'm just hoping the next one won't be a majority

No, MY bad. I didn't think to translate it in my head first. My apologies.

I don't think this government will last long, either. I'll be really interested to see her "solution" for the university tuition nonsense.....she promised to cancel the tuition hike in her first 100 days in office, but that just hits the taxpayers harder, so hard to see how she plans to make it all balance.

and it's even uncomfortable to be a francophone in Quebec who doesn't mind speaking English, who raises her kids bilingually with no fear of them losing their French identity. And yet to be judged like a separatist crazy whenever I

leave the province.

I never thought about it from that perspective. I wonder if QC francophones will be targeted at border crossings and airport security checkpoints elsewhere?

leave the province.

I can imagine that it would be, and I truly sympathize.