Menu

Hybrid Cars . . . a problem

My library has parking for hybrid vehicles right up front. I don't know why, but I do know that you cannot HEAR these things backing up. I never thought about it until one backed out right in front of me. I was surprised. I never thought about what a tip-off the engine noise was until that moment. Wow. They need to beep or something. It was a bright day so I didn't really see the tail lights.

That's all.

I'd bet you're in CA. It's an old law in CA that there had to be parking right up front for electric cars. Businesses needed to provide a recharging station for the electric cars.

Living in a rural town with many very loud trucks means I LOVE how quiet hybrid cars are. No revving of engines to make a girl look at you or the like.

I'd bet you're in CA. It's an old law in CA that there had to be parking right up front for electric cars. Businesses needed to provide a recharging station for the electric cars.

Living in a rural town with many very loud trucks means I LOVE how quiet hybrid cars are. No revving of engines to make a girl look at you or the like.

NO, I've never seen this. I'm in Maryland and it's not a thing here. They built a new, awesome library and this parking is up front. NOW I know to pay attention, but some beeps or chimes would be nice.

That is true. It's particularly dangerous also in neighborhoods. I don't know the current status, but I believe there is a federally mandated change coming soon. Of course, it would only affect the newer cars and not cars already built.

I was very happy to find a "Hybrid/Low Emission" parking spot at a hotel in the DC area recently. I thought it was silly, but I parked there anyway.

post-39326-13535087484071_thumb.jpg

post-39326-13535087484071_thumb.jpg

I was very happy to find a "Hybrid/Low Emission" parking spot at a hotel in the DC area recently. I thought it was silly, but I parked there anyway.

We love the very few spots we find that have chargers. While we are never in danger of running out, it's nice to be able to charge up while we are out of the car doing something.

Not long ago, my husband was downtown and a tow truck was parked in the electric vehicle parking spot in front of the building he needed to go into. There was very little other parking available. Because the sign said "Electric vehicles only - all others will be towed" my husband called the tow company and told them to move it. He said the guy was apologetic when he came to get the truck.

I have a Highlander hybrid, so it is not a little car. I cannot tell you how many times I have almost hit something because other people were not paying attention. People just step right out in front of me or allow their kids or pets to run out in the road without looking. However, I would hate to have a beeper on my car and have to hear it all the time because too many people listen and don't look for cars. Also, I think those of us with these cars are used to it and have learned to be extra careful in parking lots and neighborhoods because of this very reason.

:) Beachy

In the interest of fairness, the driver didn't almost hit me or anything. I was just surprised to see the car move in front of me. I DO pay attention in the parking lot, but watching for a silent vehicle to suddenly start moving just was not in my realm of experience. If it were nighttime, or even less sunny, I probably would have seen the tail lights, but with no noise, or lights, or exhaust smoke to tip me off it was a surprise.

NOW I know to watch for this, and I'm sure we'll all get more and more used to it as more hybrids hit the roads. I just hope that a lot of people don't get hit by cars while the safety bugs get worked out. Some sort of external noise when the car is started . . . something not too maddening for the driver, wouldn't be out of order. Maybe a nice chiming sound that can mainly be heard on the outside? I don't know the answer. I just know it's something I never even thought about before that car surprised me.

I'm in Maryland and it's not a thing here. They built a new, awesome library and this parking is up front.

Hey, I know that library. ;) I'm there at least once a week. I was there the other week and heard some moms talking about starting SOTW! :lol:

We own a Prius, though it isn't the car >I< drive. But when I did, I was always very careful about backing up or about approaching bikers/pedestrians to make sure they knew I was there. I wish ours had a back-up camera!

Hey, I know that library. ;) I'm there at least once a week. I was there the other week and heard some moms talking about starting SOTW! :lol:

We own a Prius, though it isn't the car >I< drive. But when I did, I was always very careful about backing up or about approaching bikers/pedestrians to make sure they knew I was there. I wish ours had a back-up camera!

Isn't it awesome ?!?! I'm tempted to pack a lunch for the rooftop patio and just spend the day there. I might even bring the kids :-) Did you notice how the view on the roof is just the trees? No traffic or parking lots. I LOVE it.

Isn't it awesome ?!?! I'm tempted to pack a lunch for the rooftop patio and just spend the day there. I might even bring the kids :-) Did you notice how the view on the roof is just the trees? No traffic or parking lots. I LOVE it.

One week when my hubby was out of town, I got a sitter, went to Starbucks for a drink, and took it to the roof-top patio and enjoyed my coffee with a book I just pulled off the shelf. Ahhh, bliss!!

I remember when this started to be discussed as an issue with the Prius. There was some discussion floating around in NY that they were going to mandate the cars make some sort of automatic BEEP sound :001_huh: My poor friend was almost in tears at the thought of NYC streets filled with engine sounds, honking etc and now BEEP. Thank goodness it didn't happen.

There are enough hybrids in my town that my kids know to look for them when walking. It might take a generation to adapt, lol.

I'm in the San Diego area. A lot of people here drive in the parking lots like they do on the streets...reckless. I can't even tell you how many times people have started their cars, backed up with speed and THEN slammed on the brakes and THEN finally decided to look as pedestrians had to jump out of the way for fear of getting hit. Unfortunately not only do you need defensive driving, you need defensive walking here We have gorgeous beaches, great weather and lots of things to do though so I keep telling myself it makes up for some of it. :tongue_smilie:

Brenda