Menu

Uh Oh? 6yo DS watching the "big girls"

My son is in a gymnastics class for boys aged K-2. He's been really enjoying it, but the schedule has changed this week now that school has started. Now the boys are sharing the gym with the team practice. Think 18 tweenage and teenage girls in leotards. He couldn't even focus on his coach today, as he kept watching the girls run, stretch, and do flips on the trampoline. When it came time to leave, he asked if we could stay a little longer to watch the other kids practice. When I asked which kids, he stated, "the big girls". When I asked why, he told me, "I can't really say; I'm just thinking about when I'm older."

:svengo:

Is this a signal that we need to have a talk with him? He'll be 7 in a month, if that makes a difference. Is this just a normal stage of curiosity that I don't have to worry about? DH is out of town for the week, and I'm floundering on this one!

Is he thinking of when he's older as in, maybe he'll be able to do those things when he's older, or is he thinking of the girls specifically. If my 8 year old son came out with that, he would usually mean that he is thinking of being older, because he's watching older kids.

ROFL!!! Well, my 6 YO has been known to crash my shopping cart in the grocery store because he was flirting with 'the big girls' and not watching where he was going, so I can relate!!

I wouldn't worry too much about it. They don't know WHY they are so fascinated yet. Just have the usual age-appropriate talks with him for now, the rest can wait. Puberty is not going to rear its ugly head next week for your son, don't worry.

Nope. Thought of that. In the car, I talked about how they were really good at gymnastics, since they'd been practicing for so long. Then I asked if he hoped he could do some of those moves someday. "Not really." As we got closer to home, he said out of the blue, "When I get married, I'm going to marry an older girl."

Me: "Like the girls we say doing gymnastics."

DS: "Yes, one of them."

Me: "Oh, which one."

DS: "I don't know yet. One who's bigger than me. Not my age."

IME, little boys can sometimes just be fascinated with older girls/women without knowing exactly why.

Once, when my son was about age 5, he became absolutely enamored with a waitress we had, a cute girl in her 20s. She had her hair up in a ponytail, tied with a pink ribbon that completely fascinated him! :lol: He watched and watched her, pointed her out to me, and even told her to her face that she was pretty when she came to our table. TOTALLY out of character for him. I was floored. He's 9 1/2 now and I haven't seen anything like it since.

Anyway, all that to say. . . don't stress about it!

Edited by LemonPie

Nope. Thought of that. In the car, I talked about how they were really good at gymnastics, since they'd been practicing for so long. Then I asked if he hoped he could do some of those moves someday. "Not really." As we got closer to home, he said out of the blue, "When I get married, I'm going to marry an older girl."

Me: "Like the girls we say doing gymnastics."

DS: "Yes, one of them."

Me: "Oh, which one."

DS: "I don't know yet. One who's bigger than me. Not my age."

Yep. An older girl just like mom. :001_wub:

I did have a boy at the beach this weekend turn around and take one look at me and declare, "I love you!" He then made kissing sounds, kissed his hand, and blew it to me. Before this, he was chatting with another boy about what he would do if he got a big dog.

My husband appeared to think I made this up. "And how old was he?" he asked. I thought it was totally hilarious.

For that matter, when I was about twenty, I went to visit my aunt for the day, when she taught third grade. One boy kept doing things like rolling his eyelids inside out to impress me. I found that hilarious too. Little boys are pretty funny.

My son is in a gymnastics class for boys aged K-2. He's been really enjoying it, but the schedule has changed this week now that school has started. Now the boys are sharing the gym with the team practice. Think 18 tweenage and teenage girls in leotards. He couldn't even focus on his coach today, as he kept watching the girls run, stretch, and do flips on the trampoline. When it came time to leave, he asked if we could stay a little longer to watch the other kids practice. When I asked which kids, he stated, "the big girls". When I asked why, he told me, "I can't really say; I'm just thinking about when I'm older."

:svengo:

Is this a signal that we need to have a talk with him? He'll be 7 in a month, if that makes a difference. Is this just a normal stage of curiosity that I don't have to worry about? DH is out of town for the week, and I'm floundering on this one!

When my 10 year old was six he used my camera to take a picture of his auntie. As I was scrolling through the pictures of the day I came across a picture of my sister's boobs - no face, no body - just a shot of her boobs. Granted, she has implants and wears low cut shirts...

Anyway, I flip-flopped between thinking it was hilarious and worrying that I was going to have something to worry about. Ds has not had an unhealthy interest in watching girls - in fact, he doesn't really have an interest or not. Maybe he just pointed the camera in the wrong direction. Maybe your son just likes to watch the advanced tricks the girls do. It hasn't morphed into an issue over here and I just look back on it and laugh...and remind my 16 year old why we don't wear cleavage shirts.

Just laugh and start planning what you are going to do w/ your grandchildren some day. My son has been in love w/ girls since birth. He had girls giving him their phone numbers in preschool-he would just grin from ear to ear. In kindy, he came from school one day, crawled under his desk, drew a big heart and wrote his initials + some girls initials. It's still there! :D No need to go crazy or have some "talk" w/ him. He's just being a boy.

My husband tells me a story about when he was in elementary school how he noticed his teacher's boobs. He wasn't really sure why, just "noticed" them. Not in a pervy way, though it totally sounds like it when I write it out.

No personal experience as a mom and I :svengo: to think about it, but my husband turned out alright. He's just very visual.

Please don't make a big deal about it.

FWIW,

When I married my husband, his little brother was 5 years old. He fell "in love" with me instantly and decided that HE was going to marry me instead of his older brother. ;)

:001_wub: OMG!! Is that not just the most adorable thing EVAR?!

When I was 8 my favourite cousin in the whole wide world got married and I felt all lovey over her dh. Fast forward a few decades since then and I don't know what all the fuss was about. (He did resemble Magnum, P.I., though so I'm sure you could see where I was comin' from there at age 8.)