Menu

Best Way/Curriculum to Correct Poor Writing Habits?

AnnaM

I messed up. I did not correct my 7 year old while she was learning to form her letters because I was so focused on making sure my leftie had good handwriting. The result has been a leftie with amazing handwriting and a rightie whose writing is barely legible and who has very poor habits such as starting all of her letters from the bottom and so on. I know she CAN do it right, but she is just not in the habit and I feel like I spend a lot of time getting on to her and not getting anywhere with breaking the habits. Can anyone suggest a program or method that will help me? I am actually thinking of starting all the way over with her using the Abeka penmanship program.

Edited by AnnaM

Copywork every day, short sentences. Purchase a handwriting journal with the three guide lines. I use this one although I found it for about half the price at Target. The journal really helped my kids see their improvement over time. Sit next to her and make sure she is forming her letters correctly. Pick one letter from the sentence and make that the "perfect letter of the day." Below the copywork, write three copies of the letter, narrating the process. Have her write three perfect copies with you narrating the process. Do this every day until you see she is writing the letters correctly in all her other work.

Spalding's Writing Road to Reading 6th edition cursive instructions are very explicit and look nicer than Handwriting Without Tears. I recommend HWT for students with a severe disability, but prefer Spalding for average to mildly disabled. Many gifted right handed students CAN handle a slanted hand, but I prefer to teach everyone Spalding's vertical hand.

AFTER doing Spalding's cursive, THEN I would remediate her manuscript. Spalding cursive and manuscript have the same clockface vertical instructions, so the manuscript remediation will be almost instant AFTER the cursive has been mastered.

The 6th edition instructions are WAY better than this sample of the 5th edition instructions, but it gives you an idea.

You should be able to borrow the book through interlibrary loan. It's a very popular book.