Menu

MOH...

MrsMe

What do you think about MOH Volume II & III? Do they add extra living books to read or do you think MOH is enough on it's own? Are the activities busy work or are they truly worth while and add to the program?

It looks like everything is in Volume II, but Volume III you need a companion guide in which there are no samples to see that I've found.

I'm not sure I like what we're doing this year. Our program uses MOH III half way through the year and I thought to use that with part of MOH II now so we can stick with the rotation. But I think this year is drawn out and we're having time issues and I thought to maybe do MOH would simplify our schedule this year.

What does it entail and how long do you spend on it?

What do you think about MOH Volume II & III? Do they add extra living books to read or do you think MOH is enough on it's own? Are the activities busy work or are they truly worth while and add to the program?

It looks like everything is in Volume II, but Volume III you need a companion guide in which there are no samples to see that I've found.

I'm not sure I like what we're doing this year. Our program uses MOH III half way through the year and I thought to use that with part of MOH II now so we can stick with the rotation. But I think this year is drawn out and we're having time issues and I thought to maybe do MOH would simplify our schedule this year.

You can view a sample here:

http://www.christianbook.com/mystery-history-volume-2-church-middle/linda-hobar/9781892427069/pd/427060?event=1016BIP|1484897|1016

Personally, I prefer SOTW with Activity Guides. Much more doable in my opinion.

I've have MOH vols I and III. MOH III text is beautiful and chock full of info, but the activity guide is loaded with things but I know we won't ever do them. I might have my 13 yo ds read the text on his own and discuss it with him, but I won't use the activities.

I like SOTW because it's succinct, has simple easy activities, easy maps and it gets done. Also, my 9 yo dd can read it on her own if I need her too.

What do you think about MOH Volume II & III?

I really like MOH here. We used volumes 1 & 2 instead of the scheduled Sonlight spines back when we did cores 1 and 2 (now called B & C). And, I am doing them again now with Sonlight G & H & 200. My high schooler is actually reading through MOH 2 and 3 this year with some Core 200 and Core W history & lit books--kind of our own eclectic mix. I started him with Glencoe, but several times I couldn't believe the book would only give a sentence or two of information on a topic that MOH had given us much more info. I let him have the choice to switch, he read MOH for a few days & decided he liked that better.

My 8th grader did MOH 2 last year & is working through 3 this year, along with the first half of SL H.

Here's a post on how I've used MOH in earlier years, I don't have my update for this year up yet. Keep meaning to do that!

Do they add extra living books to read or do you think MOH is enough on it's own?

In the appendix of 2 and the companion guide in 3, you can see book lists to add. I really like Sonlight, so I either go by what they do for that time period, or I pick and choose. I just find that easier for me than choosing from all the options in MOH.

As for whether MOH is enough on its own--I think that depends on the age of the student and what they like to do. My kids don't really like doing timelines and note cards, and since they are older, I want them to have more interaction in some way. My 8th grader is reading the Famous Men books along with MOH for history, does the quizzes and some exercises, and then I let her pick & choose from the activities, from any age level.

Since my son is doing 2 volumes in one year, I'm having him focus mainly on MOH, with a few Core 200 history books (Church of the East, 100 Most Important Events in Christian History...)

Both kids do T-notes, which is similar to the concept of the note cards. Draw a T on the page with a narrow left column and wide right column. On the left, write a name or event, and on the right, do bullet points of who, what, where, when, why, & how--whatever you want to remember. It makes it really easy to study, too.

Are the activities busy work or are they truly worth while and add to the program?

I think there is a good variety--everything from simple crafts to doing more research and writing papers--it just depends on the age & learning style of the student. For example, my crafty daughter loved making roses when she studied the War of the Roses this year, and it helped her remember the details more clearly. My son would have never chosen a project like that and for him, it would have been a waste of time. For her, she remembered as well if not better than writing a paper.

I don't have her do a project for every lesson, just one per week, and that usually gives her 9 to choose from. It works out well here.

I much prefer the set-up in volume 3! The book you read from is lighter, plus it has color pictures, which the companion guide doesn't need.

I make my high schooler spend an hour per day on history, my 8th grader spends 30-60 minutes depending on the day. I try to aim for at least 45. Younger kids, you could easily read the lesson in 15-20 minutes and call it a day, and then do one activity on day 4. It's easy to do more or do less depending on the age and stage of the child. Early levels, the material is mainly for exposure, older kids you want more retention and mastery.

HTH some! Merry :-)

So Merry, is MOH II in black and white? Because I have MOH III to go with the program and it's beautiful! I love it. But it's a turn off if MOH II is black and white. Sort of takes away the beauty of it all.

So the activities that are choosable, are they doable? It doesn't sound like you're spending oodles of time finding wierd supplies to create something or is that just part of picking and choosing what is best?

One more question, does it give you a schedule, or do you create your own?

Sorry Abbeygurl4...I couldn't find the Companion Guide sample for MOH III. Abbeygurl4, did you think the activities were all too cumbersome?

So Merry, is MOH II in black and white? Because I have MOH III to go with the program and it's beautiful! I love it. But it's a turn off if MOH II is black and white. Sort of takes away the beauty of it all.

So the activities that are choosable, are they doable? It doesn't sound like you're spending oodles of time finding wierd supplies to create something or is that just part of picking and choosing what is best?

One more question, does it give you a schedule, or do you create your own?

Yes, MOH 2 is black & white, like MOH 1 (I think you said you have that?)

No, we don't spend oodles of time looking for supplies, but my dd also improvises if we don't have something.

I think the basic scheduling info is in the front of MOH 1 also...you do 3 readings per week, and then can decide how much other time you want to spend on mapping, timeline activities, note cards, additional activities, other reading and so on. I've never done well with everything scheduled out exactly (and when I have that type of schedule, I invariably neglect to look at it and just get into a flow that works for us instead!). But their suggestions make it easy to make the program fit whatever learning style you want.

Also, Levels 2 & 3 only have 28 weeks, so it's easier to fit in--you do 7 weeks over the course of 9 weeks if you want, and have 2 extra weeks for other reading or projects.

HTH! Merry :-)