Menu

Swim team...

Because of all the exercise, my dc preferred to eat small snacks instead of a meal. They liked cup of noodles. I know it's not so healthy, but it is quick to prepare (we bring a thermos of hot water) and it is warm, which is nice on a cold day. They also like veggies and dip because it is easy to grab a couple carrot sticks at a time. They will eat salad with chicken. A wrap is also easy because they can eat a few bites or half at a time without getting so much food that they end up feeling sick. They also like eating small bowls of oatmeal. Smoothies are nice on a warm day. They also like taco salad. Probably not the healthiest because of the tortilla chips. but they like it after they finish their events.

half a sandwich (peanut butter and anything works great)

noodles of any sort

baked potato

So, my kid has found that her best pre workout food is...PopTarts. :001_huh: I know, I know. In my defense, the Olympic team eats Krispy Kreme doughnuts at practice!!! Basically, let them have any type of snack you would normally allow. It will be very unlikely to cause any problems with them eating dinner after practice!

I usually give mine a light snack before swim practice. Fruit, half a sandwich, a hard boiled egg. After practice I normally have these muffins ready for them:

1 1/2 cup water

1 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats

1/4 lb butter

2 eggs, well beaten

1/2 cup honey

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 325.

Boil water. Turn off heat and add oats. Stir in and melt butter and let cool. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well. Bake in greased muffin tin for 20 minutes at 325.

Sometimes I use chocolate chips instead of raisins. Sometimes, I use both.

This summer (we had morning practices), it was smoothies and a homemade muffin...for winter practices, a lot of times we'll have apples or celery with peanut butter dip, yogurt parfaits and graham crackers, a PBJ sandwich, meat & cheese "rolls", grapes/strawberries/melon

Really, anything. Although, by the time practice ends, and we get home, it is too late for dinner... so we bring things more like picnic lunches and have our "bigger" meal at lunch.