Menu

Multiple schedules?

DragonFaerie

Does anybody use different types of schedules for each of their kids? I tried the timed block schedule today (ie. 9:00 - 10:30 Language Arts; 10:30 - 11:00 math; etc.). DD loved it, stayed right on schedule, and finished school with time to spare. DS, on the other hand, was totally stressed out by the time factor and was freaking out over running out of time on things. What did work for him was doing his assignments in the order I assigned (instead of having the freedom to choose, which takes him forever!). So now I'm thinking that I will continue with the timed schedule for DD, and for DS, I won't assign any time constraints, but I will continue to assign his work in a specific order (getting his more frustrating subjects done earlier in the day and saving the fun stuff for last). Does anybody else have to work with different schedules/planning styles for their kiddos?

We have the SAME issue!!!

How old is your son? My dd is 12 / ds is 9. With mine, I think it's just the maturity levels in each being so different. And dd is just a "tad" on the ADD side! Her LIFE consists of LISTS!!!!!! So, for her, the block schedule was AWESOME!!!

I tried what you're thinking -- just not putting an "end" time on the block schedule. What I found was my ds took that and RAN with it! He LOVES science and reading, but other subjects drug on!

If you think it's just a maturity issue, I'd say give it another day or two. After about a week, ds was on board as much or more than my daughter. Wears his watch every day and keeps track of his own schedule. Pretty awesome (now!).

Hope ya'll get it figured out!

We have the SAME issue!!!

How old is your son? My dd is 12 / ds is 9. With mine, I think it's just the maturity levels in each being so different. And dd is just a "tad" on the ADD side! Her LIFE consists of LISTS!!!!!! So, for her, the block schedule was AWESOME!!!

I tried what you're thinking -- just not putting an "end" time on the block schedule. What I found was my ds took that and RAN with it! He LOVES science and reading, but other subjects drug on!

If you think it's just a maturity issue, I'd say give it another day or two. After about a week, ds was on board as much or more than my daughter. Wears his watch every day and keeps track of his own schedule. Pretty awesome (now!).

Hope ya'll get it figured out!

DS is 9 and doesn't even own a watch! LOL... This is a kid that doesn't just march to the beat of his own drummer. He has his own orchestra, heavy on the percussion section! :lol:

He did enjoy getting finished with school in a nice timely manner today (as opposed to finishing after dinner time!), and he agreed that my plan of getting his harder stuff done earlier was a good idea. This realization, of course, came after he melted down over writing, and Spanish, and grammar.....