Menu

BSA Citizenship in the Community - what film...

Follow me Boys!!!

(love that movie so much I bought it on amazon.)

Oh, how did I not remember that one! Thanks!

I would still love to hear other titles so ds can make the choice (except he will have to watch Follow Me Boys even if he chooses something else for this requirement:D).

per this link http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Citizenship_in_the_Community

Movies With a Meaning

Note: Only watch a movie..."With the approval of your counselor and a parent..."' Please do not add links for anything above a mild PG-13. Please note the ratings and reasons for the ratings for each film.

12 Angry Men One man, Henry Fonda, sways a jury and saves an innocent man. NR but would be G today.

Amazing Grace Chronicles the struggle of William Wilberforce to stop the British slave trade in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. PG for disturbing images of slavery.

A Man For All Seasons The story of Sir Thomas More who challenged King Henry VIII'sdivorce and remarriage. Rated G.

America's Godly Heritage Chronicles the faith of the nation's forefathers. Not rated.

Angels in the Outfield A young boy asks for a miracle to bring his family back together and to have his favorite baseball team win the season. PG.

Balto Animated story of a dog that leads a sledding team across Alaska in order to get medicine for a sick girl. PG [1:14]

The Blindside The true story of Michael Oher, a homeless boy who became a first round Baltimore Raven draft pick with the help of a caring woman and her family. PG-13.

Cars A hot-shot race-car named Lightning McQueen gets waylaid in Radiator Springs, where he finds the true meaning of friendship and family. G

Fly Away Home An adventure to save orphaned geese. PG.

Follow Me Boys The story of how one guy starts a Boy Scout troop to help the town. NR.

Forrest Gump One slow-witted but good-hearted man is at the center of key events of the 20th century. "Stupid is as stupid does." PG-13 for brief sexual content and war scenes.

Gettysburg Great historical account of Colonel Joshua Chmberlain who held Little Round Top though greatly outnumbered. Out of ammunition, Chamberlain orders a charge instead of retreating. PG for war scenes.

Gods and Generals Stonewall Jackson and the Battle of Manassas. PG-13 for war scenes.

The Great Escape WWII POW escape. NR, but some violence.

Guns of Navarone WWII Allied soldiers attempt to destroy the German big guns. NR. Some violence.

High Noon A marshall faces a man just released from prison where he was put by the marshall. His own town refuses to help & the odds are high he will not live. NR. Gunfight at the end.

Hoot Saving a population of endangered owls. PG for mild obscenities.

Invincible The true story of Vince Papale, a 30-year-old bartender from South Philadelphia who overcame long odds to play for the Philadelphia Eagles. PG.

It's A Wonderful Life The message in this film is one of courage and sacrifice for the greater good as George Bailey, a man with big ideas about seeing the world, continually forsakes his own desires to do what is right for the town. The second message is that each life important. No matter how insignificant we feel we are, we are all inextricably linked to each other and play an important part in the fabric of one another's lives.

Luther All about Luther, the father of the Reformation. Rated PG-13 for violence.

The Man Who Planted Trees A lone shepherd changes the character of an entire valley.

Mighty Ducks Emilio Estevez stars as a lawyer doing community

service who becomes coach to a pee wee hockey team. PG.

Mr. Holland's Opus A frustrated composer (Richard Dreyfuss) finds fulfillment as a high school music teacher. PG.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington One of Jimmy Stewart's signature roles as an idealistic senator caught in the corruption of the political machine. NR.

October Sky The true story of Homer Hickam, a coal miner's son who was inspired by the first Sputnik launch to take up rocketry. PG.

One Night with the King The story of Esther. Rated PG for mild violence, suggestion of sensuality.

Pay It Forward Like some other kids, 12-year-old Trevor McKinney believed in the goodness of human nature. Like many other kids, he was determined to change the world for the better. Unlike most other kids, he succeeded. Rated PG-13 for mature thematic elements.

Phenomenon - John Travolta is hit by a light and becomes very smart and addicted to learning. PG. 123 minutes.

The Prince of Egypt Animated story of Moses. Rated PG for violence.

Remember the Titans The true story of a newly appointed African-American coach and his high school team on their first season as a racially integrated unit. PG.

Rock and a Heart Place Volunteering never sounded so good.

Rookie of the Year A twelve year old boy lives every boy's fantasy when he gets to pitch for the Chicago Cubs. PG.

Rudy True story of a boy who struggles with life in order to realize his dream: to play football for Notre Dame. PG

Spartacus The slave, Spartacus, leads a revolt against a corrupt Rome. NR.

The Ten Commandments The story of Moses. NR.

The Three Musketeers Comedic interpretation of the classic novel.

We Are Marshall When a plane crash claims the lives of members of the Marshall University football team and some of its fans, the team's new coach and his few surviving players try to keep the football program alive. PG.

Wow, joyful, that is an extensive list - and I see where it came from! DS usually goes straight to the MB worksheets and I guess he didn't see the resource list at the bottom of the requirements page - I sure missed it!

Thanks for linking it.:)

Oh, one I wondered about is Amazing Grace (William Wilberforce and the abolition of slavery in England). Think that would count?