Menu

FIAR - Five in a Row questions

happyhome

Can I have some help with FIAR? I took my ds (7) out of public school late last year. He's going into 2nd grade. He was really bored and frustrated in school and learned to dislike learning and books in general....sigh.

He's been home for six months now and I can finally see my bright eyed beautiful boy coming back again. I thought for our first full year homeschooling we would try something gentle and slow to remind him that learning can be fun. A friend recommended FIAR. It looks like a good fit....good books, easy short lessons, fun topics. I think it's the perfect intro along with some FLL and WWE thrown in.

Now I am trying to decide what FIAR level. He's a good reader but I think Beyond FIAR would be a bit too much to start off with. He's smart, quick and doesn't like "baby" stuff. He's a "say it once and he gets it" kind of kid. He likes to talk about things....ALL kinds of things. And he likes that FIAR is reading and talking and doing.

So, I'm trying to decide between 3 and 4. I've heard that 1-3 are interchangeable and that 4 is a step up. How do I make the decision? I've looked at the sample lessons and I can't really tell a difference. 4 is alot more expensive too...don't really know why that is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

4 is a step up from 1-3, it's made for 7-8 year olds, who are ready to go more in depth than younger children, but aren't quite ready for Beyond FIAR. If you want to try out volume 4, you can digitally download the individual units, pick one that you or your library has the book for and see how it goes. Ariel really liked the one unit we did around that age, but I had already bought her full curriculum for the year and were using it as a break from our regular studies.

I had the luxury of having all the volumes of FIAR available to me when I did it with dd. Two of my friends had homeschooled their kids with it and passed it on to me. Please don't discount Volumes 1-3 because you think they are too babyish. There are excellent stories in every volume of all levels.

I believe my dd was an 8yo 2nd grader when we did FIAR. I went through the volumes and picked out which books I thought my dd would like (I also had my friends tell me the "Don't Miss!" books that all six of their kids loved). Once I had my books picked THEN I picked the activities to do with it and adjusted them for her level if needed. Some of those books in the first three volumes are quite a long read.

Some of Dd's favorites from Vol. 1-3 were:

How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World

Cranberry Thanksgiving

The Story of Ping

Make Way for Ducklings (just this spring we saw the statue in Boston Gardens and she was beside herself, she had to have her own copy of the book bought in Boston)

Owl Moon

The Salamander Room

I suggest that you forget about the number on the front of the book and take a look at which books are in each volume. I would pick the volume or volumes that have the books you think your son would be interested in and start there ;)

If you haven't found it yet, http://www.homeschoolshare.com/five_in_a_row_resources.php is a great resource for FIAR.

FIAR is so adaptable to different levels, have fun with it! :D

Aurelia - I've read that it's a step up but what does "step up" mean? I've looked at the books and they seem similar for Volume 3 and 4. Is it just the content of the lessons? Or is it the number of topics covered? Or is it the writing or projects that are expected? The FIAR boards seem to have many ideas about how to customize 1-3 for older children. Without having seen the books, it's hard for me to see how these "plans" differ from what is already in there. I really wish their sample pages were more comprehensive. Ugh!!

Downloading a Volume 4 lesson is a great idea but, again, having not seen Volume 3, I wouldn't know how to compare it. I guess we could see how that goes and if it goes well, just order Volume 4? I'm just not psyched about making a $75 mistake:confused:

Edited by happyhome

Angel....THANK YOU!!!! Start with the books!!! Duh!!! I can't believe I didn't think of that. I'm going to print the book lists and head to the library with him tomorrow. He'll choose the books and THEN I'll choose the volume.

And thank you for that link. GREAT stuff there too. I haven't gone through it in depth but it looks good so far. If you can think of any other resources with ideas of how to add on to each lesson for older kids, I would love that too.

I am so excited about this curriculum. I think it's going to be a great fit. Great books, my sweet boy and lots of fun! I can't wait.

I have vols 1-3 and 4. My dd is 7 yo. She has done a few of the vol 4 books, but we had to pass up some of the lessons. I have saved the more difficult books for when she is 8.

I agree with the above poster who said don't discount vol 1-3. There is a LOT in there that is very suitable for a 7 yo. This week we are rowing Finest Horse in Town. We are covering how an author can write 3 stories into 1; art lessons on water color, movement, overlapping and more; counting by hundreds, working with clocks, multiplying by 2s; horses, ice houses and leaves changing color.

Other books cover topics like elements of a story, alteration, use of quotations, italics, contrast and compare, sea life, plants, clouds, some countries, oceans, cultures, some states, compass directions, some history such as slavery, civil war, ww1; grouping and a whole lot more.

Add the cook book and you have home ech. Add the Christian Character Supplement and you have Bible.

If you are interested in adding chapter books to your rows there is a archive thread at the top of the FIAR forum. It contains chapter books that make good go alongs for each row.

By step up what is meant is some of the books are longer and the content of the lessons is deeper. There are a lot more lessons too. Each book takes 2 weeks to row instead of 1.

Aurelia - I've read that it's a step up but what does "step up" mean? I've looked at the books and they seem similar for Volume 3 and 4. Is it just the content of the lessons? Or is it the number of topics covered? Or is it the writing or projects that are expected? The FIAR boards seem to have many ideas about how to customize 1-3 for older children. Without having seen the books, it's hard for me to see how these "plans" differ from what is already in there. I really wish their sample pages were more comprehensive. Ugh!!

Downloading a Volume 4 lesson is a great idea but, again, having not seen Volume 3, I wouldn't know how to compare it. I guess we could see how that goes and if it goes well, just order Volume 4? I'm just not psyched about making a $75 mistake:confused:

I second the suggestion to start with the books. I am using FIAR with three kids who are on the young end for vol. 1-3 and I chose a list of titles that seemed well suited to that. I plan to use FIAR for at least a couple of years, so I plan to "row" some of the more mature titles that I skipped this year in the future. I did buy all 3 volumes so that I could pick and choose. You may find that you want more than one volume.

On getting approved for the FIAR forum, since I had a hard time with that, too... They require your real name in some form. No "handles". So if you were trying to use the same name you have here, they wouldn't approve that. :glare: Hope that helps!

Thanks Erin. Just used my first name and last initial to sign up...maybe that will work. Thank you for your thoughts on having volumes 1-3. I like being able to choose as the little guy lights up. Following his lead is critical this year. Great idea. Over to the swap boards now to see if I can find some good used copies. Thanks!!

Oh Ping is great! If you want to add to it you could get a picture book about China or the vid Big Bird in China (my 7 yo dd still loves this!). Or maybe a book about ducks. The buoyancy experiment is fun. If you get anything from Home School Share, my dd really enjoyed the print out of the order of events cards. We still sit on the floor and eat Chinese sometimes. :D

Yeah!!! My account on the FIAR boards was just approved!!! Btw, "loomed" the books is really "looked" at the books....darn tablet speak! Thank you to all who chimed in. It's 1-3 for us right now based on book selections.....happy days rowing ahead!

Oh yay!

Make sure to check out the archives for more ideas if you want them.

I have a file box. One file folder per book. In the files I have any printouts of ideas or notebooking pages, etc that I want to use with a book. A list of go-along books would be good to have in the files as well. It is easy to just grab and go because I did a little leg work at the beginning of the year.

But I also know that if we are having a topsy turvy week I can just use what is in the manual without adding a thing and all is good.

Enjoy your rowing time with your ds! :D

Yes, I've been to their forums. They're great. I tried to register to post my question there but I haven't been authorized (second time trying:glare:). Hopefully they will let me sign up!! Thanks for the bump!

If you let me know your user name {it has to be a real name} I can get you approved Super Quick. You can pm it if you want.

As for the price difference. Volume 4 has the Bible, Cookbook, & manual all in one. The First 3 volumes don't have that as you'd purchase the Bible & cookbook bits separately from the manual.

Generally people do Vol. 1-3 for 1 week per book where as for Vol. 4 they do about 2 weeks per book. Thus why they say it's a step up. We found Vol. 4 to be very on par with Vols. 1-3, all be it heaps more to choose from in regards to lessons/topics to choose from. :)

Yeah!!! My account on the FIAR boards was just approved!!! Btw, "loomed" the books is really "looked" at the books....darn tablet speak! Thank you to all who chimed in. It's 1-3 for us right now based on book selections.....happy days rowing ahead!

Have fun! Dd loved our FIAR year. If you have Netflix streaming, add Wild China to your list of fun extras for Ping.

We are wrapping up our row of Ping. It's been so fun! My kids already knew and loved the story, so it's been fun to read it with a new set of eyes. My favorite go-along books have been a couple of little non-fiction books from the library on Ducks and China, plus the storybook Daisy Comes Home. Daisy has so much overlap with Ping that I thought it was uncanny the first time we randomly pulled it off the library shelf and brought it home. Then I read the jacket and the author said her favorite childhood book was Ping. It's has similar themes on purpose!! Plus, it's just a darn cute book. I think we need to own it. :tongue_smilie: