Menu

School math is challenging and the kids are getting Bs - WWYD?

SKL

So, I'm new to this "grades" stuff, and I'm wondering what you guys do about this.

The kids' school is using Singapore math, which is proving to be a challenge for them, as it should be IMO. They don't have math readiness / comprehension isues, but for whatever reason their scores are in the 80's thus far (about 1.5 weeks in).

I always planned for my math "afterschooling" to be along the lines of encouraging mathematical thinking in general, and working on "practical skills" such as telling time and counting money. I expected that the school math would be easy and I wouldn't directly address their school assignments at home.

So you experienced folks - what do you do? I could go online and find practice problems and such for the units they are in. But I hate to "beat a dead horse," iykwim. I think there can be too much of a good thing. Other than going over their graded work (once I ever see it . . . :glare:), I'd rather not rehash their school assignments at home.

Do I just keep doing what I was planning and trust them to catch on? They're bright kids, but not math geeks by any stretch.

Is it likely they are just getting used to the school stuff and I shouldn't pay too much mind to the early results? Or do I just point out they may need to be a little more careful in their work, and see if things improve?

I do want to say I'm thrilled that the school posts the grades online on an ongoing basis. :001_smile: With today's technology, I can't imagine waiting until November to find out how my kids are doing (the way my parents had to).

Have you looked at their graded math papers and see what the problem is?

We got all papers sent home, at least at the end of the week, tons and tons of stuff.

My strategy would depend on the nature of the issue: do they have trouble with the concept, do they not understand the wording of the question, are they running out of time, are they distracted in class, does the teacher want the answer in a particular format, are there other requirements to fulfill for a full score?

What version of Singapore Math-

Math in Focus, Primary Math US or Primary Math Standards Edition?

I think a great supplement would be Visible Thinking. It is published by Marshall Cavendish and is from Singapore. It goes along with Singapore Math but outlines the steps to solve a problem in a systematic way. So for example in Visible Thinking 1A the first chapter on counting which goes along with the first chapter in Singapore Math will go over ways to count such as crossing out items, keeping your pencil on the paper and drawing over items, and reviews that it is easier to count in rows than scattered objects. Each chapter will review what has been taught in Singapore by going over different ways to solve a problem including word problems.

I don't know what grading scale your school uses, but when we were first starting out in Singapore (at home) I was a little worried due to scores in the 80s. However, when I went to their website, it appeared that in Singapore scores in the 80s were actually A's. We were using the Standards Edition (long before the US version came about). This is located in the FAQ of singaporemath.com

What is the grading scale used in Singapore?

A* to U Grade System

A*: 91% and above

A: 75% to 90%

B: 60% to 74%

C: 50% to 59% (passing grade)

D: 35% to 49%

E: 20% to 34%

U: 0% to 19% (Ungraded)

50% is the minimum passing mark for primary school math.

A*distinction (91% and above).

Note: some schools adopt the Band System from Primary 1 to Primary 3 (or Primary 5). By Primary 6, most schools would have switched to A* to U Grade System.

Should we use this grading scale with the tests for Standards Edition?

Probably not. The tests for the Standards Edition should be graded according to typical US grading scales. Tests in Singapore, and sample tests in supplementary books we import, will have a greater percentage of challenging problems.

Definitely check with your kids' teachers to see how they are grading and what scale they are using.

Edited by CynthiaOK

I

What is the grading scale used in Singapore?

A* to U Grade System

A*: 91% and above

A: 75% to 90%

B: 60% to 74%

C: 50% to 59% (passing grade)

D: 35% to 49%

E: 20% to 34%

U: 0% to 19% (Ungraded)

50% is the minimum passing mark for primary school math.

A*distinction (91% and above).

Note: some schools adopt the Band System from Primary 1 to Primary 3 (or Primary 5). By Primary 6, most schools would have switched to A* to U Grade System.

Should we use this grading scale with the tests for Standards Edition?

Probably not. The tests for the Standards Edition should be graded according to typical US grading scales. Tests in Singapore, and sample tests in supplementary books we import, will have a greater percentage of challenging problems.

Definitely check with your kids' teachers to see how they are grading and what scale they are using.

those are for secondary level. Aka, middle school, NEM and DM

I will check where they missed on the qs

those are for secondary level. Aka, middle school, NEM and DM

I will check where they missed on the qs

Jenny, this is what was quoted to me way back in early 2000 (I used the Federal Test Papers) when we began with Singapore. There was no US edition at that time...from the way the FAQ reads, one would assume it is for the primary grades. If that is the case, perhaps the FAQ should be revised.

Edited by CynthiaOK

To answer some questions commenters have asked:

It's Singapore Math in Focus, 1st grade.

In this class, 92% is a B+ and 93% is an A-.

The teacher gives the graded work to the kids about 1-2x a week, but my kids aren't that great about bringing it home timely. :glare:

Today I did get a pile of papers, and it seems they are getting the concepts pretty well. The mistakes seem to be more carelessness/rushing.

I do get a frequent complaint from my visually challenged learner that she has trouble finishing her written work on time. She claims that she has to rush through it in order to be allowed out for recess. She also seems to misunderstand instructions at times. I know that listening / understanding directions in general is an issue for her, and I'm trying to work on that.

Any suggestions for helping a child who struggles to keep up with seatwork in the classroom?

Why is a kid that young getting graded and does it matter whether she gets an A or a B. I know our systems are different but that seems insane. Of course you want her to fill any gaps but who gets 100% in tests unless the test has deliberately made too easy