Menu

Why am I having a hard time teaching Classical Composition?

Abbeygurl4

I'm using Memoria Press's CC Fable stage and I just don't get it. I don't think dd is getting it either. I keep reading the Teacher's Guide over and over and it doesn't make sense to me. Does my child really need to know the definitions for "anemographia", "dendographia", "chorographia" and so on? It all seems so confusing to me and dd.

We're also doing Classical Composition: Fable Stage. I don't find it confusing, but the Latin names for the various Figures of Description are tough to remember and pronounce. I see them as a helpful listing of specific ways to add detail to a story because a lot of people find it overwhelming if you ask them to just "make the story more descriptive." If they tell you to use anemographia, for example, you know to look for where wind is mentioned in the story, and/or where you could insert a mention of some wind. Then get descriptive in those parts regarding the wind specifically.

If you're embracing the progymnasmata, I think learning the Latin terms for the Figures of Description should be accepted as part of that. My son is also taking Latin, so I definitely want him memorizing the terms.

HTH. :)

We're also doing Classical Composition: Fable Stage. I don't find it confusing, but the Latin names for the various Figures of Description are tough to remember and pronounce. I see them as a helpful listing of specific ways to add detail to a story because a lot of people find it overwhelming if you ask them to just "make the story more descriptive." If they tell you to use anemographia, for example, you know to look for where wind is mentioned in the story, and/or where you could insert a mention of some wind. Then get descriptive in those parts regarding the wind specifically.

If you're embracing the progymnasmata, I think learning the Latin terms for the Figures of Description should be accepted as part of that. My son is also taking Latin, so I definitely want him memorizing the terms.

HTH. :)

I read the appendix and it said what you just said. :blush: I guess I should read more thoroughly. It does make sense to know the terminology in that light.

Thanks for responding.