Menu

Disappointed in First Start Reading

eloquacious

Since there were only tiny fragments of Books A and B viewable online, and none whatsoever of C and D, I decided to go ahead and order it. It turns out that I should have paid more attention to the subtitle of the books: Phonics, Reading, and Printing.

I was really hoping that this was the workbook to accompany Classical Phonics - meaning that the reading instruction was in Classical Phonics, and this was the writing component. And yet, more than half the pages of these "workbooks" are for reading instruction, both individual words and phrases/sentences. If we were learning to read and write at the same time, I'd say this is fine - though I would still prefer that the reading instruction be in a separate "teaching guide" and the writing portion in the workbooks. It seems that it's an awful lot of wasted paper. If you're going to use this method again, you could have much cheaper book sets if the reading portion and writing portion were separated. As it is, I now have three workbooks and none of them go beyond CVC words. I didn't buy Book D, but no doubt it's more of the same!! Since Classical Phonics is a revision of Word Mastery, and that has a FAR more impressive scope, I had hoped that these books would truly progress - that is, by Book C and D we'd be writing more advanced words, but NOPE.

Anywho. Back to square one.

I'm not really sure what you are complaining about? :confused: It is written for Kindergarten (and used in schools with kids who have no prior reading instruction at all). Book D does get into some long vowel sounds, but the reasons we love it are the exact reasons you don't like it. FSR is about the only reading program on the market that spends the entire K year on CVC words, and some kids really need that.

Even if we were learning to read CVC words now, I think I would prefer the "reading" portion in a separate book and then the "writing" (and drawing) portion in the workbook. Since we mainly wanted it for the writing practice, it seems like a lot of wasted pages.

Ah, I see. Yeah, FSR does integrate reading and writing - it is part of MP's philosophy that they reinforce one another and is an intentional part of the program. Bummer that it isn't what you are looking for though, can you return it? MP has great customer service.