Menu

Question about the sequence of math after Algebra I

Guest akviola

Guest akviola

Hello,

My daughter just finished Saxon Algebra I. Should she take a full year of formal Geometry and then move on to Algebra II, or the sequence of the courses does not matter that much?

Thank you for your insights.

Hello,

My daughter just finished Saxon Algebra I. Should she take a full year of formal Geometry and then move on to Algebra II, or the sequence of the courses does not matter that much?

Thank you for your insights.

It depends on the editions. Normally geometry is included in Algebra 2 and and advanced math. You do not need to take a separate geometry course. You would simply move to Algebra 2 after Algebra 1 if you are using Saxon.

I believe they have some new editions that do not include geometry.

We use Saxon. We did Saxon Algebra I, then Jacob's Geometry, then Saxon Algebra 2, Saxon Adv Math and Saxon Calc.

We really felt that the Saxon program did not include enough Geometry (from dh and my perspective) as Geometry teaches logic and reasoning.

Therefore, we were happy when Saxon added a separate Geometry text. It's much easier to stay with the Saxon methodology. (Jacob's teaching method is completely different--one kid loved it, one kid hated it.)

Algebra 2 includes about 10+ lessons of Geometry at the end, and Adv Math includes about 19 lessons of Geometry/Trig at the beginning. However, for our situation, it was just not enough.

I believe Saxon without the year of Geometry is sufficient for the ACT/SAT, however.