Menu

Applying for a job...WWYD?

I need to go back to work part time. I'm looking at the applications and they want a complete job history including any time that I was unemployed.

We were self-employed. I worked from home many years even when homeschooling, but I have at least six or seven years that I didn't work and only homeschooled.

What is the best way to list this? Do I just put 'Homeschool Mom'? Or 'Homeschooler'? And what do I list as a job description? It seems simple enough, but I want to make it sound as good as possible. WWYD or what have you done if you've applied for a job?

How you list things depends on the job you're going for. If it's an admin job, then emphasize the organizational aspects, any writing, anything you did regarding field trip groups or coops or what-have-you. If it's an education job, then emphasize that aspect. If it's a creative job, ditto. Ask yourself - what have I done in the past that someone looking to fill this job would like to know about me? What have I done that will help me to do this job well?

What is the best way to list this? Do I just put 'Homeschool Mom'? Or 'Homeschooler'? And what do I list as a job description? It seems simple enough, but I want to make it sound as good as possible. WWYD or what have you done if you've applied for a job?

I put "Homemaker" and included preschool and elementary level education as a responsibility/skill. My reasoning being that homemaking encompasses much more than just schooling, and that it avoids many people's immediate negative reaction to the word homeschooling.

I'm sure it all sounds like total BS, but at least it accounts for the time.

(I did get the job, but don't really think putting "Homemaker" vs. "Homeschooler" made any significant difference.)

How you list things depends on the job you're going for. If it's an admin job, then emphasize the organizational aspects, any writing, anything you did regarding field trip groups or coops or what-have-you. If it's an education job, then emphasize that aspect. If it's a creative job, ditto. Ask yourself - what have I done in the past that someone looking to fill this job would like to know about me? What have I done that will help me to do this job well?

:iagree:

I would count the time I worked from home as self-employed.

I would count the time I homeschooled only as "stay at home mom." Some feel differently, but I'm not willing to give out more information on a job application. We all know what kind of stereotypes are out there, and I would assume it wouldn't help me get the job (although it may not hurt me).

Do you have any volunteering that you could include during either of those time periods? When I added up my volunteering on a list, I surprised myself.:D

I would stay away from the words "homeschooler" or "stay at home mom." If you have to write either of those, I'd use "home educator" or "stay at home parent."

To some people, the words "mom" or "homeschooler" have a negative connotation.

After writing out a job description, I thought the title of Home Educator fit nicely. I think I will use that.

Thanks to each of you for your help.