Menu

Civil War - early elementary

KrissiK

I'm not going to do SOTW4 with my boys this go-round, but I would like to do a brief Civil War study before we start on California history in a month. We're just finishing up SOTW3, but I'd like to tack on the Civil War, just because of its importance in our US history. The books I've gotten... they're good for older elementary, but I've got a 3rd grader and a 4th grader and I'd like something along the lines of a picture book with a lot of text (I got some good ones for Rev. War, but I can't seem to find any for Civil War). Any suggestions?

We sorta stumbled into the Civil War earlier this year by way of the Five In a Row title, "Follow the Drinking Gourd". We read D'Aulaire's "Abraham Lincoln", a book called "Lincoln Shot: A President's Life Remembered" (mostly just read sections not the entirety, it is in the format of an old newspaper). My then 2nd grader read a good chapter book on the Gettysburg address called "Three Minute Speech: Lincoln's Remarks at Gettysburg". He did copy work on the address and even memorized it! Another good Gettysburg battle and address was this one.

Patricia Polacco's books on the Civil War are great. "Just in Time Abraham Lincoln" about the battle at Antietam. "Pink and Say"

Henry's Freedom Box is beautiful. The illustrator, Kadir Nelson, is a favorite of mine.

"Brown Paper School Kids: US Kids History: Book of the Civil War" is awesome.

All my kids liked this book too and it has historical context after each chapter along with craft/project ideas to do if you want --- "The Last Safe House: A Story of the Underground Railroad".

Harriet Tubman books were loved, like this one.

These 2 Nest videos on Abraham Lincoln and Harriet Tubman were good.

I'm sure we read others and I'll list them when I think of them, but hopefully this will help a little.

My DS loves the Interactive History books. They have one for the Civil War that we will be using this year. We are also going to be reading Civil War Sub: The Mystery of the Hunley and Duel of the Ironclads.

I've seen this one mentioned several times - The Civil War for Kids. As well as these readers - Escape by Night and The Last Brother.

When you get Henry's Freedom Box make sure it is the one by Ellen Levine. It's a wonderful book. There is a newer one by a different author and I hate it. The author changed history because she thought her version flowed better. I don't think the note at the end makes it better.

Dual of the Ironclads is the perfect boy Civil War book. My son liked it so much I'm going to get a copy.

We read many other Civil War books but these are the only two I would highly recommend.