Menu

Experienced student enrolled multi-schools (HSing & Reg School)

Guest Robin4Ascii

Guest Robin4Ascii

I am so pleased to have stumbled upon this group searching for homeschooling support resources.

I was wondering if any one else has been or is in a similar situation of enrolling your child in multiple schools or supplementing day school with home instruction. I would love to hear about other family's experiences, tips and traps, time-management strategies and working with a teenager's ADHD.

My story.

This is my first year homeschooling while my 10th grader is also enrolled full-time in a regular CCC day school.

She is also enrolled for a 1/2 unit Driver's Ed @ online, public school; and I am HSing her for credit recovery (Algebra 1 and 9th grade English).

For this credit recovery homeschooling curriculum, we use (as directed):

• SAXON Algebra and
  • G4W (Grammar for Writing - Blue (9th gr))
  • with EWCO (Everyday Words of Classical Origin) for spelling and vocabulary
  • supplementing with the day school's assigned Literature readings

I coached her for the first time this summer with HSing for credit recovery in Religion using the same series as her high school. I say coach but it was generally self-directed. I set the schedule and graded the quizzes.

This is my third time using multi-school enrollment. She supplemented her middle years with online Math instruction (gr 4-6). It made a tremendous difference with catching her up. The last two years, I supplemented her math instruction using IXL.com for online skill drills by micro sub-topics and grade. However, she developed extreme text anxiety for many of her classes because of the overwhelming amount of homework required and a lack effective instruction (pacing, scaffolding, no projects) that she had become accustomed to in public school.

I wanted her to have a faith-based high-school education in a smaller setting than our community's three 2,000 student warehouses ... oops I mean high school.

This is how it came about that my daughter is thrice enrolled. I am dreading Algebra simply because now I will have to teach her instead of the online course doing most of the work.

• 3 weeks later...