Menu

First day of Kindergarten...

I was so excited to be homeschooling this year. DS is starting Kindergarten today and he was excited to be doing school at home. On my Facebook page this morning all my friends were posting pics of their kids going off to their first day of school and I made a comment on my facebook status about my DS starting kindergarten today and we were homeschooling. I was so bummed to go back later and see that several people had written comments negatively about homeschooling in general and the whole socialization topic that everyone always wants to talk about. I was hoping for just some comments about good luck with school and congrats on DS being in Kindergarten and things of that nature. Instead I got lots of negativity. :glare: I don't feel like defending why I homeschool and defending the whole socialization issue. Ugh...so annoyed. Why do people have to comment on things they don't even understand in the first place?!

By the way, our first day of Kindergarten went great! :D

I was so excited to be homeschooling this year. DS is starting Kindergarten today and he was excited to be doing school at home. On my Facebook page this morning all my friends were posting pics of their kids going off to their first day of school and I made a comment on my facebook status about my DS starting kindergarten today and we were homeschooling. I was so bummed to go back later and see that several people had written comments negatively about homeschooling in general and the whole socialization topic that everyone always wants to talk about. I was hoping for just some comments about good luck with school and congrats on DS being in Kindergarten and things of that nature. Instead I got lots of negativity. :glare: I don't feel like defending why I homeschool and defending the whole socialization issue. Ugh...so annoyed. Why do people have to comment on things they don't even understand in the first place?!

By the way, our first day of Kindergarten went great! :D

I don't bother defending it. They can think whatever they want to think. I have been cleaning out my facebook list though and slowly only allowing people in it that are supportive or at least know how to shut their mouths about things. I'm sorry your first day wasn't encouraged and supported by the people in your life.

Congrats on the first day being a success otherwise though!

I'm so sorry you did not have the support you needed from your friends on your first day. Unfortunately most people do not mind sharing their negative thoughts on homeschooling. It's going to happen all the time, so now is the time to prepare yourself. Not to say that you won't run into a lot of people who are very supportive of homeschooling... There ARE a lot of people out there who think highly of it, including teachers and parents who send their kids to public school. Sometimes, though, the negative thoughts seem to be more common.

With that being said, I hope that you had a GREAT first day! Kindergarten is such a fun year! Enjoy this year and your little one!!

Sorry you had such negative reactions to posting about starting K at home. I have never had anyone say negative things to me when we were homeschooling...but I did notice that this year we had to put the kids in PS for the first time, that when I posted the ritual first day of school pic I had over 40 people like it with lots of comments...when I'd post homeschooling ones in the past I'd get less than 10 and maybe one or two comments. And I've had several real life comments like "So now you'll be a big kid!" They meant it nicely but come on... my kids weren't babies just for homeschooling. It has irked me to no end..... So I understand where you are coming from.

Congrats on a great first day. K is fun!! I've done it twice with mine. :)

I'd be tempted to post a comment back like "Thanks for all the support and encouragement, today went great!". but sometimes I'm passive agressive that way.

Haha. Me too!

I don't bother defending it. They can think whatever they want to think. I have been cleaning out my facebook list though and slowly only allowing people in it that are supportive or at least know how to shut their mouths about things. I'm sorry your first day wasn't encouraged and supported by the people in your life.

Congrats on the first day being a success otherwise though!

Yep, what she said. I don't defend our decisions, and I don't care where you send your kids to school.

And you survived your first day, that's a big step!

:grouphug:

I'm sorry there were negative comments on your FB post. That just stinks.

I would suggest you ignore the negatives and keep posting your success stories . . .

And on the first really cold, icy, dark and snowy day don't forget to post how you are all snuggled up in bed together, still in pajamas, reading a classic book and drinking hot chocolate while everyone else is bundling up, shoveling driveways and scraping ice off car windows. :D

I'm sorry there were negative comments on your FB post. That just stinks.

I would suggest you ignore the negatives and keep posting your success stories . . .

And on the first really cold, icy, dark and snowy day don't forget to post how you are all snuggled up in bed together, still in pajamas, reading a classic book and drinking hot chocolate while everyone else is bundling up, shoveling driveways and scraping ice off car windows. :D

:iagree:

Sorry you experienced this! But you know that you've made the best decision for your family and that's all that matters! Like someone said up thread, on the first day of nasty weather make sure you post how you are all cuddled up nice and warm doing school :)

It will get better as time goes on; I've been at this for many years now and no one even asks anymore "well are you ever going to send them to school?".

I'd be tempted to post a comment back like "Thanks for all the support and encouragement, today went great!". but sometimes I'm passive agressive that way.

I would add the comment, "Bless your hearts! We had a great day, thanks!"

I'm glad your day went really well. :party:

And when they start complaining about school, teachers, schedules, homework, you'll just happily stay silent. :grouphug::grouphug:

Both great ideas. ;). I'm glad you had a good first day. :001_smile:

Congratulations on your first day of Kindergarten! I hope you have a wonderful year! I post about homeschooling all the time. My haters either got tired of trying to convince me that homeschooling was horrible or blocked me. LOL

I figure I put up with every picture of a booger that comes out of their kid's nose that I can post what I want about my kids! :tongue_smilie:

Me too! As PP said, living well is the best revenge.

On the worst winter day, post a picture of the snow outside and then a picture of a fire, hot chocolate, and say, "I'm soooooo glad I don't have to go out in this awful weather. Yay for homeschooling!"

But I'm just snarky in that way...

I think that a dose of loving sarcasm is the best medicine for that kind of thing.

Perhaps something like, "Socialization?!? I never thought of that. I did notice that he was starting to get weird already by the end of the first day here. I'll be sure to keep an eye on it! ;)"

That is so rude! Friends are supposed to back you up. I wouldn't let it pass, I'd post something sarcastic to let them know you do not welcome unfriendly comments on your fb, and unfriend them if they continue. That is just not nice and I'm not going to get all flustered and defensive, but I will not be walked on by people who call themselves friends. Today is the first day of school for most of Ontario so there were a lot of posts on fb from my friends, I don't say anything negative about them sending their kids to ps, I usually like their pic and move on, or comment if they are good friends. We had a fun day to kick off our year, we went bowling first, then out for lunch, then book shopping, donuts, and a movie. I surprised the kids, they thought they'd be cracking the curriculum today, so they were thanking me all day for everything and bragging to each other about how lucky they are to be homeschooled! :D I posted a pic of the kids bowling on fb captioned "first day back to school!" - everyone else gets to brag, so can I-;) and thankfully I got nothing but nice comments, one of my friends said "I'm pretty sure a couple of my kids would love to come live with you". ;)

I want people to get a nice glimpse of our homeschooling lives so I post neat pictures through the year regarding hs- first day of homeschool skating where there are dozens of happy, normal looking children having fun and socializing on the ice, cool field trips, my kids reaction as their homemade volcano exploded for science, or the special ones where my kids are laying on the floor in front of the fireplace on a blanket with their schoolbooks and mugs of hot cocoa, dd dressed up in a princess dress with a tiara doing math out on the grass with the sun shining down on her, and she's singing. :001_wub: They're all candid shots of our real hs life, a sweet life! Last year we had very little snow in our part of the country and one particular day we finally got dumped on, but not quite enough for ps to cancel classes- but all the hs moms I know gave the kids the day off to play all day in the snow- we got the only hill in town all to ourselves for tobogganing! Post stuff like this and let them know that they can think what they want, but you love what you're doing and so does your son, and most of them will back off, lots will even wish sometimes that they could hs. :grouphug:

:iagree:

It really gets under my skin when people have negative things to say about homeschooling. I didn't put negative things about public schools or private schools when my friends posted FB pics of their children's first day of school. I just posted things like, "I hope they have a great day." I just don't get why people think they have a right to judge our decision to homeschool. Don't give these "friends" of yours another thought. Enjoy homeschooling!:)

:grouphug: I'm sorry that made your first day less than great! :grouphug:

Instead of jumping to sarcasm, passive/aggressive or snarky, I'd suggest the following:

"This is my Facebook page. If you don't agree with my educational choices, that's fine but refrain from commenting here. Here is a safe place for me to share. Likewise, I will keep my comments about YOUR educational choices either positive or I won't post at all. If you can't respect this boundary, I will limit your ability to see my school related posts."

Then don't engage.

Those are the people I'd be deleting. I have zero interest in Facebook "friends" who are looking to criticize my family's choices or leave snippy, rude, argumentative or negative posts on my wall. Nope. No time or patience for that.

:iagree: Unless they are family I would de-friend them. Real friends wouldn't do that, if their concerns were worth voicing they would do it in a less public manner. Family comments I might respond to or delete.

Because Facebook turns nice normal people into, well, kinda jerks. Apparently every Facebook post has invisible writing that says TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT MY CHOICES.

I hope you can make a little circle of people who are supportive of your choices, and then share your excitement with them.

I'm sorry you had negativity from "friends." Maybe you need to post one of those hilarious youtube videos on homeschool socialization . . . .

Not sure what ones you are talking about but i'd like to see them!

Those are the people I'd be deleting. I have zero interest in Facebook "friends" who are looking to criticize my family's choices or leave snippy, rude, argumentative or negative posts on my wall. Nope. No time or patience for that.

just so happens the main offender was an aunt...:glare: which really irks me because i'm friends with her daughter(my cousin) who wants to homeschool her kids but hasn't taken the step...now i know why, her mom is against it!

By the way, I did finally comment back...here is what i said

I'm not homeschooling because it's "not a nice world". I'm not trying to shelter him so he doesn't know whats going on in the world. As for socialization, that's not a problem. he's involved with lots of play groups, homeschool groups, church, wednesday night programs, circle time at the library and many other things where he interacts with others. School isn't about socialization anyway. it's about education. you dont send children to school to be socialized, you send them for an education. Going to school doesn't necessarily determine your future social skills. a lot of people are not a fan of homeschool, because they do not understand it. There was a lot I didn't know either when i started last year. i've met a lot of homeschoolers who are shy and quiet and sit in the house all day and read and only talk to their families, and i've also met ones who are outgoing and smart and "socialized". It's all about how you homeschool and what influences you are exposed to.

A few other frirends defended me as well with thier comments::

"there are also public schooled kids who are quiet and shy or loud and obnoxious kids and some in the middle. Is there really anything wrong with being quiet? God made us all different! If you are quiet that does not mean you are a failure...there is much growth and potential for all of us, being quiet or shy when you are 5 has nothing to do with if you will be a successful adult or not. Homeschooling has so many wonderful benefits, Janell hit just a few... each family has to choose what God wants for them...but don't stay away from homeschooling because of socialization. (sadly that is such a misunderstood "myth" of homeschooling)"

"Don't sweat it, we've been doing it for the better part of 15 years...Hannah is a senior this year, Megan a junior...and you know how "sheltered" and "un-socialized" they are (ha, ha). In fact, they are about to leave for swing dancing downtown...homeschooling is not the cure-all for everything and is not for everyone...it works for us and will for you too"

I know this is just the beginning of how people will react I just need to be able to defend myself(or not) without getting mad or upset.

Ah. I have an aunt (retired school teacher) who was the only person in my family not in favor of my choice to homeschool. I sent her an email saying I understood she had different feelings about homeschooling than I did and that I didn't expect to change her mind, but that I'd made my decision and I hoped she would respect that and that it wouldn't change our relationship and she responded favorably and has been no problem. If she had carried on making negative comments, I'd have told her more firmly that my choice was not up for discussion and that I would appreciate it if she would keep her negative comments to herself so as not to impact our relationship. interested questions or gentle requests for assurances are one thing, but negative attitudes are another.