Menu

recommend age for these books

kahlanne

I recently bought four books at a yardsale due to their beautiful covers, Jack and Jill, Under the Lilacs, and Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott and Third Girl by Agatha Christie. I read Little Men and a collection of short stories as a teen however Agatha Christie is new to me. Anyone familiar with these four titles? What age could I use each as a readaloud. I have an 11 year old 5th grader.

I love the Louisa May Alcott Books! I re-read the three you mentioned over and over. :) I'd think she would be a perfect age to start them now. Also, the book Rose In Bloom is the sequel to Eight Cousins and is another gem not to be missed. I just thought Agatha Christie wrote for adults so I am afraid that I am no help on that one. Sorry!

See I knew the name Agatha Christie but wasn't sure if it was appropriate for children. Then again books for kids are more intense than some written years ago for adults. :glare:

My daughter doesn't like to read at all. She is a tomboy so anything romantic is out even if age appropriate. She hated the Little House books which I loved as a child.

Jack and Jill might be a good fit then. If I remember correctly Jack breaks his leg because of Jill (she is a tomboy) I think. He is laid up all winter and she keeps him company because she feels bad etc. It was a fun read for me but then I loved little house and anne of green gables.. Of course if you need a home for those books. :)

Jack and Jill might be a good fit then. If I remember correctly Jack breaks his leg because of Jill (she is a tomboy) I think. He is laid up all winter and she keeps him company because she feels bad etc. It was a fun read for me but then I loved little house and anne of green gables.. Of course if you need a home for those books. :)

:iagree: Jack and Jill would be a great one to start with!

I started reading Agatha Christie's books at age 12. They are "murder" mysteries, but they are very gentle "British cozies." They don't usually have much, if any, gore.

I don't remember "Third Girl," so either I never read it, or I didn't like it enough to read over and over.

I read a fair amount of Agatha Christie around the age of 14. I have not read Third Girl (that I can remember) but all the ones I read were fairly mild. Some of what they deal with is quite British and also set very much in the 1960s which means some research might be needed to understand certain things.