Menu

Needing help picking foreign language curriculum...

cookiemama3

I have two boys, grades K and 3. My 3rd grader is more than ready to do a foreign language. Of course, my K grader just wants to do whatever big bro is doing. So, here is my dilemna....

Is it better to use a curriculum or just collect my own materials? Has anyone had luck with Rosetta Stone with kids this young?

This is something that I am so eager to start, but I don't know where to start. Family members tell me to try Rosetta Stone- which sounds great, but it's a HUGE investment- which is fine, so long as we have success with it.

Advice? Suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

I was brought up bilingually and my mom was a French teacher for years. I asked her opinion on how best to raise my kids bilingually in a home where the father doesn't speak the language. She said at this young age it is all about training the ear to understand the sounds of the language and get used to the inflection, sounds, etc. With DVD's coming in mutliple languages she encouraged me to use play their favorite movies in their language. We went through all our DVD's and listed which ones were in French, Spanish (the 2 most common). So when I need a break - I pop in a movie in French and feel no guilt :)

My oldest asks for German- I'm not sure why or how he became interested in German.

My kids started German last year when they were 5 and 6 years old. It is this year when they started Saturday German class that they are learning much faster.

This website has the old Foreign Service Institute textbooks and audio files for German and Spanish as well as other languages.