Menu

Disability/Welfare in WA state. HELP!

I have a friend in her 50's, no kids at home, who appears to have a chronic illness (I posted about her last year asking for help in getting a diagnosis) but so far is still undiagnosed. She started getting sick about four years ago and has slid downhill ever since. When I talk to her via phone, she can only say a few words and you can instantly tell that it is taking everything she has to attend to conversation. She's been through tons of doctors but none can figure out the diagnosis. That, I think is the major problem....no diagnosis...lots of wait and see or new trials, AND stuck trying to get help via the state.

She doesn't have any money. She cannot work. Her dh left her about seven years ago.

She called me last night to ask for help. I'm going to see her Friday to record her (She knows this) so she doesn't have to repeat herself. I will also take notes.

Her biggest needs are: a) help selling her house....she's out of money. b) getting a social worker.

We're in WA state so if anyone has experience or knows someone who does, getting this kind of help for an UNDIAGNOSED person, please respond.

This is so hard. I know I can help her get her house sold but the social work/welfare stuff is a big unknown for me.

Thank you!

I'm certain she does. I'll ask if she's done this. Thank you!

Because it is so hard for her to talk for long periods or even think for that matter, she hasn't been able to go to bat for herself but something in the back of my mind says she did try to get a social worker but was denied. I think it has everything to do with being undiagnosed. :glare:

She should contact a disability attorney. They usually work for a percentage of the disability payments, so she wouldn't need money to pay the attorney up front.

:iagree:

Because most people are denied disability the first time they apply. The attorney will go to bat for her and when she gets her disability she will get "back pay" which is her disability pay from the date she first applied. The attorney will get usually 1/3 of this as payment.

Edited by melissad2

I don't know anything about the specifics you are asking about, but I would think that even if they can't come up with a diagnosis, they could still determine that she is disabled and what the specific nature of the disability is (cognitive impairment or whatever).

:iagree:

Because most people are denied disability the first time they apply. The attorney will go to bat for her and when she gets her disability she will get "back pay" which is her disability pay from the date she first applied. The attorney will get usually 1/3 of this as payment.

Is this the case even with a diagnoses? I applied 2 months ago and have 3 diagnoses so far. I am hoping I will get approved. Now I am worried that maybe I won't simply because it's my first time applying. Is this really true?

Is this the case even with a diagnoses? I applied 2 months ago and have 3 diagnoses so far. I am hoping I will get approved. Now I am worried that maybe I won't simply because it's my first time applying. Is this really true?

My mom and her brother both had multiple diagnosis with multiple dr statements and both were denied several times. YMMV. Most people I know that have applied were denied the first time for one reason or another.

I've been compiling a list of questions for the meeting with my friend on Friday. Are there any other ideas y'all think I should ask? I have others that have come to mind. As I'm typing them, all I can think about is how draining this meeting is going to be for her. :(

Does it depend on the diagnoses?

Yes its true. MOST people are denied the first time no matter what the diagnosis. Usually you have to go to court to be approved.

OP- I would get on your county's Job & Family Services site and look up the services they offer. Food Stamps/Cash Assistance, etc. If you go apply you will get a caseworker and they SHOULD point you in a direction for other means of help. Most hospitals have social workers and you can contact them as well.

Yes its true. MOST people are denied the first time no matter what the diagnosis. Usually you have to go to court to be approved.

OP- I would get on your county's Job & Family Services site and look up the services they offer. Food Stamps/Cash Assistance, etc. If you go apply you will get a caseworker and they SHOULD point you in a direction for other means of help. Most hospitals have social workers and you can contact them as well.

Thank you. Not the best news. I have no idea how I will make things work if I can't go back to work and I don't get approved. :confused:

Thank you. Not the best news. I have no idea how I will make things work if I can't go back to work and I don't get approved. :confused:

I would make sure to keep going to any and all dr appointments and making sure your DR is on the same page. You can contact a disability lawyer even now and they can help you from where you are in the process.

I would make sure to keep going to any and all dr appointments and making sure your DR is on the same page. You can contact a disability lawyer even now and they can help you from where you are in the process.

I do. I need the help. I am really thinking the lung issue is what might get the approved but the others I don't know. I will look into this. I would hate to wait another two months and then be denied. It's all ready been a long wait.

I hope the OP is able to get help for her friend. Sorry to hijack...I really needed to get some info on this.

I do. I need the help. I am really thinking the lung issue is what might get the approved but the others I don't know. I will look into this. I would hate to wait another two months and then be denied. It's all ready been a long wait.

I hope the OP is able to get help for her friend. Sorry to hijack...I really needed to get some info on this.

I know OH has a list of what is considered disability on their SS website. That doesnt mean if its not on there you are denied. I would think your state has a similar site with info.

Sorry to hijack. :(

She needs to go to DSHS and tell them that she needs to go on GAU/Disability Lifeline. They will help her find a primary care dr. to treat her for the disabling problem. This also provides some living expenses. If the problem is longer term and she is not able to work, she should start the process of applying for social security disability; she will likely need a lawyer for this and plan on it taking 2 years or so to go through.

She needs to go to DSHS and tell them that she needs to go on GAU/Disability Lifeline. They will help her find a primary care dr. to treat her for the disabling problem. This also provides some living expenses. If the problem is longer term and she is not able to work, she should start the process of applying for social security disability; she will likely need a lawyer for this and plan on it taking 2 years or so to go through.

What kind of help is there (usually) while a person waits? I know in WA one must have a residence. She's hoping to sell her house, I believe, but that can only carry her so far and there's no telling how long that might take either.

I don't understand this. If there is a list of conditions on the State Website, which there are for California as well, why is it so hard and take so long if you have multiple doctors and test confirming that is what you have to get the help you need? 2 years is crazy to me. :confused:

What kind of help is there (usually) while a person waits? I know in WA one must have a residence. She's hoping to sell her house, I believe, but that can only carry her so far and there's no telling how long that might take either.

I really hope she gets the help she needs. She is lucky to have a friend help her. I find this this all very scary.

I don't understand this. If there is a list of conditions on the State Website, which there are for California as well, why is it so hard and take so long if you have multiple doctors and test confirming that is what you have to get the help you need? 2 years is crazy to me. :confused:

I would guess for two reasons: 1) other people's money doesn't come cheap and 2) tons of fraud, unfortunately.

The idea that a disability lawyer takes a cut of the disability money-- that makes me uncomfortable. Is that really how it has to work?

Unless you can find one that will work pro bono, or you have the money to pay them up front. People do like to get paid for their work, after all. ;)

Unless you can find one that will work pro bono, or you have the money to pay them up front. People do like to get paid for their work, after all. ;)

Yup. I mean, you want an attorney who specializes in disability and social security law, not one who does a hodge podge of everything and none of it overly well. So if s/he specializes in disability and social security, s/he needs to be paid somehow. And generally, the risk is on the attorney since many of them take a portion of the pay out if they win for you and get nothing if they don't.

I would wager many (most?) people fighting to get disability payments aren't rolling in $$ to pay an attorney. :grouphug: