Menu

What else is like BA 3C variables chapter?

FairProspects

Strongly suggest checking out Zaccaro and Challenge Math, and his other books as well. He writes books for gifted math kids

My mathy boy hated curriculum. We used some of singapore 2A, and he did some time4learning, but otherwise we've mostly done murderous maths, Zaccaro primary challenge, some random worksheets, and LOF fractions. We started on LOF decimals but took a break for the summer

Strongly suggest checking out Zaccaro and Challenge Math, and his other books as well. He writes books for gifted math kids

This is what I'm thinking too after we finish the BA variables chapter. I'm looking into some of the Key to books also since I don't think BA 3D will be available to help with fractions when I need it.

We got our copy yesterday (+ prealgebra for me :D).

Did you look ahead? What do you think about the way they do long division? I was looking at it in the morning and it is a bit confusing to me. My son can do it (we covered it in SM), but with a slightly different approach. It looks the same on paper, but we worked more from left to right (hundreds to ones) rather than all at once. Now that I am reading my post I am making no sense :glare:

Rivka, I may not be remembering correctly, but did you use MEP before Beast? When DD was younger, I printed out some parts of MEP 2 or 3 that had easier variable work. Perhaps similar Beast ones are in MEP 4?

Yes, we did. I keep finding myself saying things like, "Okay, this is just like when you were adding box plus triangle..."

Would Hands On Equations be good for this? Anyone have experience with it?

Are you all talking about the variable expressions for the patterns? HoE is not about that particular section, but it's mainly word problems using linear algebraic equations. The user will need to simplify however.

We're not done with HoE, or even at the half-way point, so maybe someone else can chime in. But DD chooses to solve all word problems the HOE way, not SM way. Too bad because I like the bar method, but I draw them for her. I suspect it's the drawing that bothers her, even though she doodles constantly.

About the variable expressions for the patterns, I thought it was interesting that the child could use factoring from 3B to derive the expression and then simplify. Or not.

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the presentation. This program might work for my 4 years old who likes building:)

Do your children like the program? Thanks.

Yes. They love Ben and learn a ton from his videos and their weekly online lessons. He is unique. I wish I knew about him when my older dc were in early elementary. His non-traditional approach is refreshing. :)