Menu

This is DS first day in PS in years -- as a senior!

When we moved here, the PS put two of my sons in 9th grade b/c they would not accept their grades and coursework from homeschool. They should have been in 10th grade. (DS1 had attended PS in 9th grade, so he didn't have a problem.)

So the two boys decided they preferred to attend cyber school.

DS3 decided to go to the PS this year. He is in 12th grade. Hopefully DS2 and DD, also seniors, will take care of him.

I am a nervous wreck. DS3 went to 1st grade in PS and to a little over a semester at a parochial school in 8th grade. Otherwise, he has never stepped foot in a school building until Friday, when we registered him. Not true... I did send him to orientation with his siblings, so he could tour the school.

[deleted personal material]

He is very intelligent, and this is probably good for him. I just wish he was at home today, starting cyber school.

He is wearing jeans today for the first time ever. His siblings persuaded him to wear them to fit in, instead of wearing sweat pants. He also got a hair cut, so he doesn't look like a young Einstein any more, which is good.

I just have to hope that DS2 and DD make sure he is okay. His backpack has very little in it (no books yet), so hopefully he will find everything he needs.

School started last week, but enrolling him has been a 2.5-week process, which we did not anticipate. I think they were too busy or too unorganized and inefficient to enroll him before last Friday.

I have a call in to the guidance counselor. I hope she calls me back. She impressed me, but that doesn't mean she gets it about how DS3 is doing.

Please don't quote my post. I'll have to delete a lot of it in case DS2 comes home and reads it.

Edited by RoughCollie

:grouphug::grouphug:

Mine was a bit overwhelmed in middle school, and chose to come home for high school. By the time he was in college, he said he thought he should have gone to at least a year of high school. :glare::D No pleasing them...

See how it goes. He'll either learn to swim, or learn how to use flotation devices...

Or, he'll get out of the water and tan on the beach. Either way (if you get my weird metaphors), he'll be ok. :grouphug: Let him try.

Keep us posted. Does he have any special help? In our school district he would likely have 1 class a day of directed study where a teacher helps them through any problems, helps them with homework, etc. They also match up new students at our school with a mentor/peer for the first 2 weeks or so so that they have a lunch buddy, etc.

My 2 girls with special needs both started highschool today.

My two just started their third full day of high school today. Before this they've never gone to school.

Even for them, who as far as I know are neurotypical, their biggest worries don't seem to be the classes themselves, but the 4 minutes between classes, and how are they ever going to get there on time? Especially if they have to go to their lockers? And will their lockers open (seems they can manage the locks just fine before/after school, but in those 4 minutes, the locks become very stubborn). We spent a whole night with a map trying to figure out when the most efficient routes between classes and and how to minimize the trips to the locker, and between which classes they should go...

Edited by matroyshka
fixed double negative

:grouphug:

Much of what you write reminds me of my non-jean wearing son.

He went to public high school part time last year after homeschooling since grade 1. He took chemistry and for labs the teacher would just tell the kids to find lab partners. My son floundered around at this seemingly simple task. Eventually the teacher started to assign lab partners.

This year he is going full time. When I ask him about lunch (does he know anyone to sit with, etc) he tells me he barely has enough time to sit and eat much less talk to anyone. Also, he generally carries all his books with him because the classes are too spread out for him to make it to his locker in those 4 minutes. Homework is a long drawn out process, but he does apply himself to it without complaint of even prompting although keeping track of it all needs some fine tuning, apparently. This morning he told me he wasn't sure where two of his physic's labs were. He can't remember whether or not turned them in already. :001_huh: I think he has so much to keep track of, his mind is over loaded. Or at least, that is what I am going with! :willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

I hope all goes well for your son. I am right there with you on the anxiety.

Thank you for all your kind words, prayers, and :grouphug:s.

I have not heard from the guidance counselor. Everything is probably okay. There is nothing wrong with her -- I liked her a lot -- so I need to get over it. It's not like DS3 is a helpless 6 year old. I'm just so used to taking care of him and making his path smoother. This experience will be good for him -- get him used to not having me do that, teach him how to operate in the Real World.

My DD will likely step into the breech. That is both good and bad. She gets things done, and she will look after her brother. Whether he will want her to is the question.

I know DS2 was planning to change his schedule so he can eat lunch with DS3. DS2 is very unhappy about that situation.

DS3 has an appointment at the doctor at 1:45, so I am picking him up at 1:20. At least I don't have to worry about him finding and getting on the right bus until tomorrow.

The big thing I have to do is not mother hen DS3 when I pick him up. I'll be matter-of-fact and supportive and not act all anxious about how he made it through 6.5 hours without Mommy. [deleted personal material]

Meanwhile, groundhogs are cutting through our yard to get to the woods behind the house. I've seen 3 so far, but Aidan has seen or heard many this morning. He is running around from window to window, barking, growling, and howling out of the blue, and I'm about to jump out of my skin.

Edited by RoughCollie

The big thing I have to do is not mother hen DS3 when I pick him up. I'll be matter-of-fact and supportive and not act all anxious about how he made it through 6.5 hours without Mommy.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I know exactly how you feel.

ETA:

Last week each kid missed the bus --but on different days of course. Both times one of them was off the bus waiting for the other one. The other one was already on the bus. I just can't believe they EACH did it separate times. We have to go over all these details.

Edited by Trilliums

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I know exactly how you feel.

ETA:

Last week each kid missed the bus --but on different days of course. Both times one of them was off the bus waiting for the other one. The other one was already on the bus. I just can't believe they EACH did it separate times. We have to go over all these details.

We are definitely going over bus details this afternoon and tomorrow morning, so that DD and DS2 don't get on and let DS3 miss the bus! I do not want to hear, "Gee, we waited for him, Mom, and he never showed up!" DH will be on alert to go get him since his office is a few minutes from the school, and I'm at least 30 minutes away.

When we first moved here, on the first day of school, DS1 did not come home on the bus. I called DH at work and on his cell, and received no answer, which is not unusual. I called the school and the bus company, and no one knew where DS1 was. DS1 didn't have a cell phone and was in a totally strange place where he he knew no one. The school makes the students leave the building when school is over, and they won't let them back in.

As I was on the phone with the state police, DH drove up with him. Neither of them thought to call me, and both were surprised that an hour after DS1 was supposed to be home, I was worried. They had a 30 minute drive, and stopped at McDonald's, so they had plenty of time to use their common sense and call me!

The dog is going nuts again. I hope it is a groundhog, and not a serial killer hiding in the woods! (kidding)

I just realized that this is the first time I've been alone (except for the dog) for more than a couple of hours in 18 years. That is pathetic.

Edited by RoughCollie

I got a blow-by-blow description of DS3's day. It didn't sound too bad -- mostly, he was bored. They had to change his schedule for an unknown reason, so he is taking a ceramics class. He isn't thrilled about that. He said he was emotionally neutral all day.

At lunch, he purposely sat with people. They were talking about boring things, except one guy who was reading a physics book. I told him that guy was probably bored, too. This is a school at which their goal is to have high school students reading at the 10th grade level by 2016. This goal has been posted on the school doors for at least the last 3 years. If a student reads a book in school, everyone remarks on it and the reader has earned a reputation for being a genius (not a joke).

He forgot to give them his note to leave early to go to the doctor. He did handle it -- I went in and the attendance office sent an aide to retrieve him, but he showed up right after that.

The teacher talked about Buddhism in his comparative religions class, and left out too much information. The English class had little speeches to give about homework, all of which were negative and illogical. They did nothing in chemistry, including during the lab hour.

DS3 wonders why the books are so thick, given that they don't teach from them (so far) and that they only cover about 9 chapters per semester.

Meanwhile, DS2 called and said that DD was in the school looking for DS3. He forgot that DS3 left early so DD will probably miss the bus.

ETA: Hooray! DD made it onto the bus!

Edited by RoughCollie

As I was on the phone with the state police, DH drove up with him. Neither of them thought to call me, and both were surprised that an hour after DS1 was supposed to be home, I was worried. They had a 30 minute drive, and stopped at McDonald's, so they had plenty of time to use their common sense and call me!

The dog is going nuts again. I hope it is a groundhog, and not a serial killer hiding in the woods! (kidding)

I just realized that this is the first time I've been alone (except for the dog) for more than a couple of hours in 18 years. That is pathetic.

Oh my, our DHs sound similar too! :lol:

That is the kind if aspie thing I could see happening here. They all say it just doesn't occur to them ____________ (insert whatever is appropriate: to call, to ask, to pick up milk, to mention an upcoming trip, etcetc.)

Weren't your boys the ones who left a snake out for you? I'd be careful about telling them you are lonely during the day. They might find a way to leave some more animals to "keep you company".

Weren't your boys the ones who left a snake out for you? I'd be careful about telling them you are lonely during the day. They might find a way to leave some more animals to "keep you company".

I have a few snake stories, but no, the boys did not leave a snake out for me. One of their snakes died, and DH chased me around the house with it. That did not amuse me. Then he threw it in the snow and refused to get it back so we could dissect it.

Then there was the time my Mom and I lost my brother's green snake in our green shag carpeting. How we did that, I don't know, because I'm afraid to touch a snake. It was probably my Mom's fault. :D

Mine was a bit overwhelmed in middle school, and chose to come home for high school. By the time he was in college, he said he thought he should have gone to at least a year of high school. :glare::D No pleasing them...

See how it goes. He'll either learn to swim, or learn how to use flotation devices...

Or, he'll get out of the water and tan on the beach. Either way (if you get my weird metaphors), he'll be ok. :grouphug: Let him try.

:iagree: I did not read the original so I don't know the whole story, but I do think at his age, he should make the choice. He will learn a lot of things, good and bad, and it is an experience all of our kids have to face. My oldest son's biggest issue was seeing how truly mean/ugly/disrespectful his generation is. He was mortified.

We are definitely going over bus details this afternoon and tomorrow morning, so that DD and DS2 don't get on and let DS3 miss the bus! I do not want to hear, "Gee, we waited for him, Mom, and he never showed up!" DH will be on alert to go get him since his office is a few minutes from the school, and I'm at least 30 minutes away.

When we first moved here, on the first day of school, DS1 did not come home on the bus. I called DH at work and on his cell, and received no answer, which is not unusual. I called the school and the bus company, and no one knew where DS1 was. DS1 didn't have a cell phone and was in a totally strange place where he he knew no one. The school makes the students leave the building when school is over, and they won't let them back in.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:Be strong, mom. It is important to let your little fledgling fly and become a man.;) Trust me, I KNOW HOW HARD IT IS!!!!!

Ds20 struggled some in school. I made a HUGE mistake and he was so sheltered. there was so much he didn't know about, and I feel SO bad about not being better about discussing personal issues/uncomfortable things more. I didn't realize I made a mistake until it was too late and he was in school being made fun of because he didn't know certain things. :sad:

Anyway, he got pneumonia. He missed a couple of days of school and then INSISTED on going back. I was a wreck about it but didn't protest. He missed the bus after school. The bus dropped him off at 4:00. He never made it home so I went to the school with both dd's and went through the entire school, calling into bathrooms, etc. I drove from the school to home, back to the school, then home. The last time I went to the school a fire truck sped out and headed towards the shool. IT WAS GETTING DARK BY THIS TIME and even dh was driving around looking for him. When I saw the fire truck, I completely broke down. I was so hysterical that I had to pull over. Finally my phone rang. Ds had been sitting in the yard waiting for us. A neighbor saw him and offered him a ride home. :svengo: And he couldn't call earlier? He didn't call to tell me he missed the bus!

I was SO worked up, TWO HOURS LATER, and I was convinced that he had a hard time breathing and was passed out somewhere. BY the end I know the school staff were looking all around for him (they all knew him and adored him because he was always so kind and respectful. Beause of that he stood out.:glare:) and I believe I called the police by that time.

Siiiiiigh. That was six years ago and typing it all out has my stomach in knots!

:grouphug:RC!!!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:Be strong, mom. It is important to let your little fledgling fly and become a man.;) Trust me, I KNOW HOW HARD IT IS!!!!!

I was SO worked up, TWO HOURS LATER, and I was convinced that he had a hard time breathing and was passed out somewhere.

DS3 has Asperger's and I do tend to baby him. It is hard to let him manage on his own. He did it, though!

I only waited an hour, which was 1.75 hours since school let out. I had visions of him having been kidnapped dancing in my head.

My sons still use that example as proof that I am not a logical, rational person. They were truly surprised that I was so upset. They think I should have realized that DH had picked up DS1. What I should have realized is that any kidnapper would have immediately ditched DS1 just to get him to Stop Talking! :D

DS3 has Asperger's and I do tend to baby him. It is hard to let him manage on his own. He did it, though!

I only waited an hour, which was 1.75 hours since school let out. I had visions of him having been kidnapped dancing in my head.

My sons still use that example as proof that I am not a logical, rational person. They were truly surprised that I was so upset. They think I should have realized that DH had picked up DS1. What I should have realized is that any kidnapper would have immediately ditched DS1 just to get him to Stop Talking! :D

:lol::lol::lol:

I didn't know that about your son. Still, after he adjusts, he will be fine. It is awesome that his loving siblings are looking out for him.:001_smile:

Our families can't possibly understand a mother's torment and worry. I get it.;)