Menu

Dog pee

I'm at the end of my leash :glare: with my 8.5 month old dog. She STILL pees in the house! I just put my dd to bed and there's dog pee on the blanket. Gross.

I don't think she'd be very happy as an outdoor dog only, but I'm tempted to go that route. Either that, or whenever she's not in sight in the house, she'll have to be in her crate. Seems cruel. And I don't know if it's really feasible as we have a fairly open floor plan and it's easy for her to head off to find a nice "private place".

Will this end on it's own as she matures? I really like our pooch, but I'm totally disgusted by how long this is taking to train her! And I fear it will get worse as it gets colder and wetter outside as she's not fond of going out in the cold and wet. Do I need to go back in training and take her out on leash to pee every couple hours? Do some dogs just not ever get it?

She's a Beagle X Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

We started training her by taking her out on leash very often and praising her when she did her thing. Over the summer we let up, as the back door was always open and she started going out by herself.

Well, one of our Cavaliers is, right now, recovering from surgery to remove bladder stones. She's always had accidents in the house, and we thought she was just incredibly difficult to train. But then she started having little accidents in really odd places, like on my DD's lap, or in her bed, and I thought maybe she had a bladder infection. We took her to the vet, and they tested her. She definitely had an infection, and they wanted to x-ray for stones, too.

We were shocked to see the x-ray. She had HUGE stones. Her bladder was at least half full of them. She had surgery a week and a half ago and gets her stitches out tomorrow morning. Poor thing. I feel awful, but you know, she never seemed to be in any pain, she just had accidents all the time. The vet was shocked that she ever made it outside!

She hasn't had one accident since her surgery.

Just a thought! Besides that, the Cavaliers have been the hardest dogs to train of any that we've ever had. They took so long!

She's a Beagle X Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

We started training her by taking her out on leash very often and praising her when she did her thing. Over the summer we let up, as the back door was always open and she started going out by herself.

If the door is closed does she let you know she needs to go out? That's going to be a huge issue if she doesn't and the weather is colder. We have 8 month Chocolate Lab, we have a bell at the back door that he rings to let us know he wants out.

He eventually just got it, not sure what the magic thing was that made him stop going in the house.

I know this isn't the norm or the recommended thing to usually do, but every once in awhile I have a dog come here that needs me to catch it in the act of peeing a couple times and scare it. The pup will know that it's not supposed to be, but it's easier to stay inside than out. I have to make the bad be uncomfortable enough that it's not the easy thing to do anymore. For a couple of days I will basically shadow the dog. It tends to make a mess because when a person starts hollering and yelling the pup usually starts peeing more because it freaks out a little, but believe me, they'll avoid that situation again. After scaring it though, make sure you praise LOTS the next time it goes outside or it will just start avoiding peeing when you are in the near vicinity.

One of the few dogs I had to do that with was a beagle.

I agree with considering medical issues. UTIs are as common in dogs as they are in humans. A medical issue is the first thing you should always consider when a reliably trained dog starts having accidents again. Although in your dog's case it may be that she never really truly had the idea. If you're pretty sure it's not medical, then you need to go back to Housetraining 101. Take her outside. If she doesn't go, then she goes in the crate for a few minutes and then you try again. It shouldn't take long at all to re-train if you keep her on a consistent schedule. And make sure you clean all the pee spots very well, with a good enzyme-based pet stain/odor remover. Vinegar, baking soda and those type things just don't work well enough on odor that any dog, let alone one with a beagle nose, won't be able to smell it.

Beagles are evil. Good luck!

The most evil of all. Ours is 4 and we gave up he cannot come in the house anymore. He has to stay in the laundry room and in a crate at night. He went on my sons bed that was the end for me. That is beyond disgusting. We tried forever and nothing worked. I am not a dog person anymore at all because of him.

Going on the floor was bad enough but to use my furniture, no way. I had to buy a new matress and search for another matching comforter. Hundreds of dollars. After that I told the kids it was the laundry room or the pound end of story. My older son has autism and was told by all his docs he would never potty train took years but it happened.

Can't train the dog though so whoever said dogs are easier than kids never had a beagle

Beagles aren't ALL hard to house train. I had one who was exceptionally "clean." I think she would have literally busted a gut before she would've had any kind of accident in the house. She'd even wake me up during the night to take her outside if she was going to throw up. I can't take credit for it, we adopted her when she was two and she was already like that.

Edited by Pawz4me

I should add that behavioral problems with the beagles I've had here start disappearing when I give them a game or job to do. I will shred bologna into tiny pieces and scatter it all over the place and then let the dog loose with the command to find. It'll keep her/him busy for awhile and they seem to feel more content after that. I keep the rules for the game firm though. They have to stay at a sit while I throw the food. The challenge stretches them and tends to work their nose and mind enough to satisfy.

Short post because I am iPhone typing, so forgive any shortness in tone (not intended). There is nothing cruel about crating the dog to train it. Nothing. What is cruel is turning the dog out of doors or rehoming if the problem could've been fixed. I would crate and tomato stake. And don't punish for peeing anywhere--it'll only teach the dog to associate an unpleasant experience with peeing. The dog won't make the distinction that it's not the peeing, it's the location.

If she never has been fully trained then you need to start over, as if she is a 2 month old puppy. I tell people all the time that you need to be 100 percent committed for about 2 weeks, or potty training drags on for months and months...as you have here.

So...new rule. Dog is in the crate, or attached to you by a leash, or outside. Period. End of story. When you take dog out to pee someone goes with, and gives doggy LOTS of praise and a treat immediately if she does pee/poop. Do not wait to give the treat when you get inside, do it outside. Then, when doggy is empty doggy can come in and play some, but only in your eyesight. If you can't be watching the doggy then you put the doggy in the crate or on a leash. Period. Doing this for a few weeks so the dog becomes house trained is NOT mean. Leaving the dog outside the rest of its life is the alternative....2 weeks is nothing.

And get Nature's miracle to clean the spots the dog peed on...if it is carpet SOAK the spots with it.

Do you crate train it? Crating is NOT cruel, it is a necessary tool in training a dog. The dog should never be allowed out of your sight, for ANY reason whatsoever, if it is still having accidents in the house. It should never be allowed privacy to go into the bedrooms. Our dog is only allowed in the bedrooms if we are with him, otherwise we have a baby gate up so he cannot access the bedrooms.

If you can't watch it for whatever reason...doing dishes, taking a shower, ANYTHING where you need to turn your back or are not able to give 100% attention to the dog...it goes in the crate. The dog is NEVER given free access to the house if it is alone.

If you catch it have an accident, take it over to the spot and say "NO!" then immediately take it outside and tell it "Potty HERE" and stay there until it pees, then TONS of praise. Then you must take the dog outside regularly, at least every hour or so, but your dog may need more often. If it pees, then TONS of praise. Part of it is also restricting water after a certain hour, or for a certain period of time before you have to go somewhere and leave it for an extended period of time (shopping, etc).

Also, the crate has to be just big enough for the dog to lay down, so that it can't pee in one corner and go lay in the other one. Generally, a dog will not want to lay in its own filth, and at 8.5 months your dog should be able to hold it. I have a teeny tiny dog (4.5lbs at 7 months) with a teeny tiny bladder, and he is able to hold it overnight or for a few hours while we are gone. He has been fully potty trained 24/7 for almost 2 months, and we crate trained him.

I know this isn't the norm or the recommended thing to usually do, but every once in awhile I have a dog come here that needs me to catch it in the act of peeing

This is what happened with our current puppy. She learned very quickly that she was supposed to pee when she went outside, but she didn't seem to get that she couldn't go inside, too. We crate trained and tomato staked her, but she would get out of my sight occasionally. I once found her peeing on the floor, and surprised her with a loud "NO" and clapped my hands, followed by taking her outside.

That did the trick. She's never done it again.