Menu

please recommend a non stick or cast iron pan

mum

I need a non stick pan, but I know there are bad things about the non stick coating. Does anyone know anything about the so-called "green" ones that supposedly don't have bad things in them? What about the ones that say they are ceramic on the inside? Any brands anyone recommends? If not non-stick, can anyone recommend a store/brand for PRE SEASONED cast iron pans? I have tried before and somehow failed to season correctly and everything stuck hideously. I'm willing to pay a bit if I knew it was going to be good and last a good while.

Thanks!!!!

I need a non stick pan, but I know there are bad things about the non stick coating. Does anyone know anything about the so-called "green" ones that supposedly don't have bad things in them? What about the ones that say they are ceramic on the inside? Any brands anyone recommends? If not non-stick, can anyone recommend a store/brand for PRE SEASONED cast iron pans? I have tried before and somehow failed to season correctly and everything stuck hideously. I'm willing to pay a bit if I knew it was going to be good and last a good while.

Thanks!!!!

I love my lodge cast iron pans. I have a wok and a flat griddle, and I'm in the process of trying to get DH to buy me a saucepan :D

I've heard with cast iron that, if you season it badly, you can remove the seasoning, but I've never tried...

I have Lodge cast iron as well, and LOVE it. They are preseasoned, but you still have to use a lot of grease at first to get them really WELL seasoned, IME. Especially when you cook eggs or something similarly sticky.

The fastest way to season them, IME, is to fry something in it first thing. Like do fried chicken or fry a couple lbs of bacon or something like that to get a lot of grease sitting in a hot pan for a good while.

I've never tried the ceramic ones, but I'm considering it at some point. :-D

We use lots of Lodge cast iron as well. Several sizes of frying pan, griddle, wok, chicken fryer, and dutch ovens lol.

We renew the seasoning after each use:

1. Rinse with hot water and scrubber

2. Wipe dry

3. Heat on the burner over low/med heat to make sure the pores are dry

4. While still hot, spray/wipe on a thin layer of oil, wipe off excess

They're not "nonstick" but darned close. I dislike "nonstick" pots & pans - once I saw the surfaces peeling off, I could only imagine all the chemicals that have been leaching into our food.

Cast iron leaches iron into the food. That's generally "good".

eta: We have the Lodge wok, too. It's incredibly heavy and big...but it heats so evenly, it's fabulous!

Thanks!!!!

It is far from cheap but I love this.

http://www.amazon.com/Le-Creuset-Enameled-Cast-Iron-Skillet/dp/B00005QFNZ/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1346718908&sr=1-3&keywords=Le+Creuset+Enameled+Cast-Iron

It isn't non stick but if you let it heat up before you oil it a bit it does wonderful. Comes in several sizes.

I miss my cast iron . ..which i'm pretty sure i bought at walmart. iir, we scrubbed them and coated them with oil and baked them? part of the thing w cast iron is you have to treat it like non-stick . . DO NOT scrub. Its supposed to be blackened and have a layer of baked-on grease.

i got a glass top stove, tho, and was told I had to get rid of them.

I do that stove top re-season with my wok every time . .. dh wont listen to me about how to clean it and . .well . .sometimes i rinse it, but i dont put it with the clean dishes, and somehow he still manages to get it all rusty.