Menu

Vegans......

Do you agree that legumes need to be combined with a grain to make a complete protein? If so, technically quinoa and millet are seeds, so choices for gluten free grains would be buckwheat (no thanks. I will eat it but my family won't unless I make something FABULOUS with it) or rice?

I am really, really, REALLY struggling with ideas for meals right now. Can you share some of your favorites? I also like low carb ideas, pkease. We do eat a lot of legumes but I tend to limit carbs outside of legumes for myself.

Siiiiiigh. I am DREADING starting up thenCandida diet again. I sooooooooo want to cry.

This is what I recently read.

Bean, yes. Dd12 has suddenly becom gluten intolerant and once I start the candida diet I won't be able to have any either.

I don't do GF so I'll have to think about this one. :) I know gluten is hidden in a lot of foods so I worry that I'll give you a recipe with hidden gluten.

Well, either we're all right or all wrong! I'm firmly in the "crock" camp.

Now, heretic that I am, I do believe that it can be a real challenge to eat healthy diet as a vegan. Not b/c vegan is not healthy but b/c sometimes it gets hard to dot all the dietary Is and cross all the healthy Ts.

Do you mean bread carbs or fruits and veggies, too?

Well, either we're all right or all wrong! I'm firmly in the "crock" camp.

Now, heretic that I am, I do believe that it can be a real challenge to eat healthy diet as a vegan. Not b/c vegan is not healthy but b/c sometimes it gets hard to dot all the dietary Is and cross all the healthy Ts.

Do you mean bread carbs or fruits and veggies, too?

No fruit for now, no carbs at all for me aside from amaranth, quinoa, millet, legumes. SOOOO depressing. I have GOT to rid myself of candida.

I made a spicy potato curry last night for dinner. My husband sang my praises all evening and ate it for lunch today. It was very good. I did reduce the onion by half and reduce the cayenne pepper by half too.

Spicy potato curry

Someone else had linked it here a while ago but I finally tried it last night, so thanks to whoever it was. My husband thinks I am a cooking genius, but all I do is try recipes that have been recommended here. Lol

That's not true. As with any way of eating, as long as you're eating a well-balanced, whole foods diet, you'll be eating healthy. It's really not as hard as you think. :)

Anyway, I *think* the dinner we had tonight was GF. I don't have a recipe as it was a quick meal and I just threw it together, but I made some soba noodles and a bunch of frozen mixed "stir fry" type veggies and topped them with a Thai peanut sauce. I used a bottled sauce (normally I make it from scratch) and though the bottle says it's GF, it has tamari sauce in it. I thought was a "no-no" on a GF diet - ? If it's not, I'd look up a recipe for that as it's very yummy!

I made a spicy potato curry last night for dinner. My husband sang my praises all evening and ate it for lunch today. It was very good. I did reduce the onion by half and reduce the cayenne pepper by half too.

Spicy potato curry

Someone else had linked it here a while ago but I finally tried it last night, so thanks to whoever it was. My husband thinks I am a cooking genius, but all I do is try recipes that have been recommended here. Lol

This looks AMAZING!!!!!!!

That's not true. As with any way of eating, as long as you're eating a well-balanced, whole foods diet, you'll be eating healthy. It's really not as hard as you think. :)

Anyway, I *think* the dinner we had tonight was GF. I don't have a recipe as it was a quick meal and I just threw it together, but I made some soba noodles and a bunch of frozen mixed "stir fry" type veggies and topped them with a Thai peanut sauce. I used a bottled sauce (normally I make it from scratch) and though the bottle says it's GF, it has tamari sauce in it. I thought was a "no-no" on a GF diet - ? If it's not, I'd look up a recipe for that as it's very yummy!

I made a highly rated Thai peanut sauce recently which was GROSS! Can you share your recipe? I don't think I can have soy but the rest of the family can.

I took it to a cook out a few weeks ago, and people were raving about it. (Even the carnivores! :lol:)

Okay, but really . . . isn't that almost always the way it is? Don't you find that the omnis and carnis are usually eating up the veggie entrees at a potluck, et c. I do find that to be the case.

I usually try to make something that is at once attractive, yummy, and filling so that if there isn't anything else to choose from, we'll be satisfied. Well, it usually goes b/f we get to it. Now, I'm **sure** that is a testament to my outstanding skill in the kitchen but also, I think people LIKE vege foods but for no conceivable reason don't like to say so.

Anyway, I *think* the dinner we had tonight was GF. I don't have a recipe as it was a quick meal and I just threw it together, but I made some soba noodles ansauce (normally I make it from scratch) and though the bottle says it's GF, it has tamari sauce in it. I thought was a "no-no" on a GF diet - ? If it's not, I'd look up a recipe for that as it's very yummy![/d a bunch of frozen mixed "stir fry" type veggies and topped them with a Thai peanut sauce. I used a bottled QUOTE]

Well, Bean, it is true, actually. Yes, IF you're eating a well-balanced, wf diet you'll be eating healthy. I said so. It's life getting in the way and not eating a well balanced diet that gets in the way . . . obviously.

Vegan, as I said, is a healthy (and I would go out on a limb and even say possibly *the* healthiest) lifestyle *if you do it right.* Not eating right (not dotting the dietary Is or crossing the wholesome Ts or whatever I said) IS a problem and should not be taken lightly. It is important to eat rightly. It is important to eat good, wholesome whole foods and in reasonable amounts.

It is not always easy for all people to do that. I also think it is irresponsible and uncharitable to suggest to a woman who is struggling to get things right and reaching out for advice that it's easy.

I hope the op is still reading and that she understands that life is challenging and food is one more thing that adds to the challenge sometimes. It is doable and you can do it! Your health is so important and the work is worth it.

Bean, your own post indicates that it can, indeed, be difficult at times.

Anyway, I *think* the dinner we had tonight was GF. I don't have a recipe as it was a quick meal and I just threw it together, but I made some soba noodles ansauce (normally I make it from scratch) and though the bottle says it's GF, it has tamari sauce in it. I thought was a "no-no" on a GF diet - ? If it's not, I'd look up a recipe for that as it's very yummy![/d a bunch of frozen mixed "stir fry" type veggies and topped them with a Thai peanut sauce. I used a bottled QUOTE]

Well, Bean, it is true, actually. Yes, IF you're eating a well-balanced, wf diet you'll be eating healthy. I said so. It's life getting in the way and not eating a well balanced diet that gets in the way . . . obviously.

Vegan, as I said, is a healthy (and I would go out on a limb and even say possibly *the* healthiest) lifestyle *if you do it right.* Not eating right (not dotting the dietary Is or crossing the wholesome Ts or whatever I said) IS a problem and should not be taken lightly. It is important to eat rightly. It is important to eat good, wholesome whole foods and in reasonable amounts.

It is not always easy for all people to do that. I also think it is irresponsible and uncharitable to suggest to a woman who is struggling to get things right and reaching out for advice that it's easy.

I hope the op is still reading and that she understands that life is challenging and food is one more thing that adds to the challenge sometimes. It is doable and you can do it! Your health is so important and the work is worth it.

Bean, your own post indicates that it can, indeed, be difficult at times.

I don't really see how my post indicates how veganism can be difficult. I think vegan, GF, LC, and any other restrictions you want to put in there makes it difficult. But veganism in itself, is not. I can attest to that as I've done it for many, many years now. :)

And I don't want to hijack the thread any further because I don't really see what your point is to anything you've said so I'll just concentrate on trying to help the OP with recipes from here on out.

No fruit for now, no carbs at all for me aside from amaranth, quinoa, millet, legumes. SOOOO depressing. I have GOT to rid myself of candida.

Okay, that is a challenge but not to worry! I know it's hard but try focusing on how much better you'll feel in the end. Our own outlook can work against us so work on that focus.

I did do a quick search for "gluten free candida diet" and got several hits. Do you think that will be helpful? I'm just getting started with gf b/c of my daughter but I know nothing about candida.

Again, I know this is such a challenge for you. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:' Please try to keep a positive outlook!

Here is something positive. You can make a couple pots of grains and a couple of pots of legumes. Say . . . one of millet and one of quinoa (I'm not a big amaranth person). Then make a couple of pots of legumes, say one of french green lentils (personal favorite b/c they remain discrete little lentils instead of mush) and one of chickpeas (another fav). Do that on one day and for several days you won't have to cook (and isn't that positive!). You can mix and match. Also, one of those sites indicates that olive oil and culinary herbs are candida friendly. If you are eating those, you have it made!

One example. But a bit of quinoa in your bowl and top with chick peas. Drizzle with olive oil and some fresh chopped dill. a bit of salt if that is okay. Yummy.

Next night have the millet and lentils with a different herb say, oregano or whatever you like.

Quinoa, lentils, parsley, olive oil, salt, and an herb you like would be great!

Sometimes fresh herbs (available the produce section here) can seem like a splurge but think of all the money you're saving by not eathing other things. Also, during this difficult time, why not splurge just a bit? You are working hard to heal and you could feel good about letting yourself do that.

Edited by BibleBeltCatholicMom
friendly! herbs are candida friendly! ; )

Okay, but really . . . isn't that almost always the way it is? Don't you find that the omnis and carnis are usually eating up the veggie entrees at a potluck, et c. I do find that to be the case.

I usually try to make something that is at once attractive, yummy, and filling so that if there isn't anything else to choose from, we'll be satisfied. Well, it usually goes b/f we get to it. Now, I'm **sure** that is a testament to my outstanding skill in the kitchen but also, I think people LIKE vege foods but for no conceivable reason don't like to say so.

YES! I have started at least serving my kids first, and usually myself if I'm being perfectly honest. Not sure what Emily Post would say about that! :lol:

I ate vegan long ago. I was at one point addicted to black bean and sweet potato burritos. It's excellent just as a dish without the tortillas too.

It's just basically black beans, with cubed and saute/roasted sweet potatoes. Just toss in whatever seasons you like. Cumin, salsa, etc.

I'd like to point out that I've read that while many people tout millet as "gluten-free," it still has gliadin in it. Gliadin is one of two proteins that are collectively called "gluten" and is the one that people usually react to. In fact, some of the "gluten" blood tests are really testing for antibodies to gliadin.

I've been gluten free for about ten years out of my life and only found this out a few months ago. Thankfully I never ate much millet.

I'd like to point out that I've read that while many people tout millet as "gluten-free," it still has gliadin in it. Gliadin is one of two proteins that are collectively called "gluten" and is the one that people usually react to. In fact, some of the "gluten" blood tests are really testing for antibodies to gliadin.

I've been gluten free for about ten years out of my life and only found this out a few months ago. Thankfully I never ate much millet.

Wow, I didn't know that! Thanks for the info.