Menu

I have both and I am planning on going thru them for myself. I haven't made it very far in either one--I keep just dragging one onto the bed and opening it in a random spot and reading...Not the best way to do it, but it seems they are interesting enough that it works, in a way! Sooner or later I'll catch on to a part I've already read, and then I'll know I've read the whole thing...right? ;)

I have read them, and I used them for my high-schooler.

We used TC DVDs to supplement both years, along with some Jackdaws.

The second one we also used Medieval History for Dummies and The Time Traveler's Guide to the Medieval England.

I would not use them before high school, even for advanced students due to content. :)

We just started using HOMW last week with our 8th grader. I typically listen to Mrs. Mungo's advice on things of this nature but on this one, we knew dd was ready. She spends time with dh watching highly graphic WWII videos; she'll be okay with this book. I found a lesson plan on the HS board that someone posted for this book also. If that's of interest to you, go to that board and search "HOMW".

We just started using HOMW last week with our 8th grader. I typically listen to Mrs. Mungo's advice on things of this nature but on this one, we knew dd was ready. She spends time with dh watching highly graphic WWII videos; she'll be okay with this book. I found a lesson plan on the HS board that someone posted for this book also. If that's of interest to you, go to that board and search "HOMW".

There is one emperor who stood out to my dd because he was famous for having a really big p*nis. That sort of information is very typical. Just FYI. ;) That's why I recommend waiting. But, if you think your kids are ready, then go for it. Mind you, I am no prude, I showed my dd *and* another WTMer's dd my book on art from Pompeii, but I waited for high school for that too, lol.

Mrs M,

Could you tell us which TC DVDs you used?

:)

Some of these I own and some I have borrowed/swapped with other families or borrowed from the library: Ancient Greek Civilization, The History of Ancient Rome, Books That Have Made History, World History: The Fertile Crescent to The American Revolution, Early Middle Ages...I think there were one or two others, but that is all that is coming directly to mind right now.

There is one emperor who stood out to my dd because he was famous for having a really big p*nis. That sort of information is very typical. Just FYI. ;) That's why I recommend waiting. But, if you think your kids are ready, then go for it. Mind you, I am no prude, I showed my dd *and* another WTMer's dd my book on art from Pompeii, but I waited for high school for that too, lol.

HA! Oh my! Any idea which one so I can read it? I'm reading *after* her, rather than ahead!

HA! Oh my! Any idea which one so I can read it? I'm reading *after* her, rather than ahead!

It didn't stand out nearly as much to me as to my dd, so I don't remember exactly where it was. But, information like that is fairly typical. There is quite a lot of talk on the phallus as a good luck symbol (hence, the Pompeii book). Lots of talk on mistresses. There is a lot of that, in general, because it's part of history and the information is appropriate for high school and up. That's why I generally suggest people wait for high school. If it was just the graphic violence (as in The Aeneid), then that would be different. Although, even The Aeneid made my eldest a little queasy. I think my middle dd is less sensitive.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Well, sheeeoooot. I guess I need to read ahead instead of behind. Thanks for the heads-up!

It didn't stand out nearly as much to me as to my dd, so I don't remember exactly where it was. But, information like that is fairly typical. There is quite a lot of talk on the phallus as a good luck symbol (hence, the Pompeii book). Lots of talk on mistresses. There is a lot of that, in general, because it's part of history and the information is appropriate for high school and up. That's why I generally suggest people wait for high school. If it was just the graphic violence (as in The Aeneid), then that would be different. Although, even The Aeneid made my eldest a little queasy. I think my middle dd is less sensitive.

Thanks for the replies, Ladies!

I've ordered the Ancients Book, and will get through that one first. The listing says it's 868 pages!

Looking forward to some good night time reading!

Thanks for your replies on this!

I think I'll get them both

History of the Medieval World

History of the Ancient World

I wonder how long before she's got the series completed.... wrings hands with anticipation!

Lisa