Menu

I sometimes wish we lived in the city....

We feel the same way most of the time. We live in the middle of nowhere, so even to go to a grocery store it is a 45-60 minute drive. That makes it difficult and not very cost effective for us to do a lot of field trips, if we can do any at all. We love living here, it is so pretty and private, but we really want to move back to a populated area so it is more feasible to do stuff like that.

I live in a town of about 2000. I have lived here for 14 years and still don't know anyone, or at least that is what it feels like. We are 45-60 minutes from everything but Walmart, including homeschool groups and any churches that we would attend.

I wish we wouls move, but my husband loves it here. He is someone who doesn't need any outside interaction and works 70 hours a week anyway. I cannot get him to understand how bored and lonely I am.

We feel the same way most of the time. We live in the middle of nowhere, so even to go to a grocery store it is a 45-60 minute drive. That makes it difficult and not very cost effective for us to do a lot of field trips, if we can do any at all. We love living here, it is so pretty and private, but we really want to move back to a populated area so it is more feasible to do stuff like that.

I live in a town of about 2000. I have lived here for 14 years and still don't know anyone, or at least that is what it feels like. We are 45-60 minutes from everything but Walmart, including homeschool groups and any churches that we would attend.

I wish we wouls move, but my husband loves it here. He is someone who doesn't need any outside interaction and works 70 hours a week anyway. I cannot get him to understand how bored and lonely I am.

I totally understand. BUT OTOH I do wish we lived in a less suburban area. I would kill for some acerage. DD wants to move to MO b/c you can get a huge house with land for a decent amount.

I have no desire to have acreage. My postage stamp front yard and patio backyard are plenty of weeding. Ah, city life. I can get acreage at the park.

The trade off is the crime, though I generally feel pretty safe and my kids walk to the park and the store and so forth.

I think I have the best of both worlds. I live on about a half an acre so and so does everybody else around me (at least) so no problems with too close neighbors. We live in woods and have beautiful mountains to view in the winter. One way to leave our neighborhood is through a beautiful valley with a farm and views of the mountains. We live only a few minutes from great stores and about ten-fifteen from the hospitals and all doctors. The furthest drive I ever do regularly is to another city for a book club meeting and that is twenty minutes as is the co-op my daughter attends, again in another city. My city has good libraries, stores, restaurants, a wonderful botanical garden, art museum, science museums, symphony orchestra, etc, etc, but our area has very little crime.

I totally understand. BUT OTOH I do wish we lived in a less suburban area. I would kill for some acerage. DD wants to move to MO b/c you can get a huge house with land for a decent amount.

That's where we live, near Branson. We bought 5 acres with a really nice 8 year old home, with a GORGEOUS view, for only $125k. The downside is that we live so far away from everything. Well, not far as in distance, but b/c of the hills around us there are no straight roads, you have to wind in and out of the hills to get anywhere. Branson is only about 20 miles from here as the crow flies, but it takes 45 min to drive there.

Our view:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/ShyGecko/1886d68d.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/ShyGecko/127d76f4.jpg

Edited by somo_chickenlady

I'd love your 45 minute drive- ours is about 90 minutes. And that point where you catch up with traffic and it all comes to a screeching halt- it scares me every single time.

We went in Friday and it was lovely- but I wouldn't want to live there. We'd need so much more money to afford to live in Chicago! Not just the cost of living but all the extras we'd want to do- the museums, dining, festivals, etc.!

That's where we live, near Branson. We bought 5 acres with a really nice 8 year old home, with a GORGEOUS view, for only $125k. The downside is that we live so far away from everything. Well, not far as in distance, but b/c of the hills around us there are no straight roads, you have to wind in and out of the hills to get anywhere. Branson is only about 20 miles from here as the crow flies, but it takes 45 min to drive there.

Our view:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/ShyGecko/1886d68d.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/ShyGecko/127d76f4.jpg

Seeee that is what I truly want! DH's father and step mom live in the ozarks [mo] and they have a huge amount of land and such a nice place.

I'd love your 45 minute drive- ours is about 90 minutes. And that point where you catch up with traffic and it all comes to a screeching halt- it scares me every single time.

We went in Friday and it was lovely- but I wouldn't want to live there. We'd need so much more money to afford to live in Chicago! Not just the cost of living but all the extras we'd want to do- the museums, dining, festivals, etc.!

:iagree:

We really hope our next move involves being closer or in the city. There are so many times we want to go to something at a museum in the evening but the program is only for 45 minutes to an hour, and then we'd have to drive 45 minutes home. Plus park, etc....

That's exactly it. We HATE driving that much. We grew up and lived in a big city up until 18 months ago, so this is new to us. We are planning a move out of state in the next year or so, and as much a we love our property, we plan to move into a populated area.

My favorite thing to do when I'm stressed or to unwind is to go to a store (Target, Walmart, etc) and wander around for hours. I don't buy anything, I just look at EVERYTHING. I gets my mind off of other things. I can't do that where we live now.

Edited by somo_chickenlady