Menu

Susan Barton?

6wishes

The reason I'm weighing it is because it's dh's birthday, and I don't know how much to push it :)...

:lol::lol: That's a tough one. No, it would need to be a strongly compelling reason. Are you planning on using Barton or were you just curious? You could always take him out to eat the day before or on the weekend and tell him to have time with the guys on his actual birthday. Or go to dinner early and have dessert at home afterward.

She's in my city this month too and I'm going. I've actually rounded up a bunch of the teachers at DD's (public) school to go too. They know so little about dyslexia. We do not use her program. I am not sure she'd approve of the approach we use (minimal phonics) or the Davis Dyslexia program that DS did. I figure it's worth it though, because it's free, and she's bound to have some good information to share. I've always believed that regardless of the approach we all choose to use with our kids, there should be room for everyone at the table.

:lol::lol: That's a tough one. No, it would need to be a strongly compelling reason. Are you planning on using Barton or were you just curious? You could always take him out to eat the day before or on the weekend and tell him to have time with the guys on his actual birthday. Or go to dinner early and have dessert at home afterward.

I have looked at my friend's stuff, and she uses it. We don't have testing until Dec., and I've vowed not to make any curriculum purchases until I know exactly what I'm dealing with. From what my friend told me ( who has attended one of her lectures), is that she doesn't talk about her own curriculum at all-says she's there to help kids and focuses purely on dyslexia. I'm new to all of this, so would really like to go (and would love to have my husband along as well). Good suggestion on celebrating on a different night-our anniversary is on the 27th, so maybe I'll sell it as an anniversary gift :001_smile:.

I've met her and she's full of knowledge that would make it well worth attending! If the day she's in your town doesn't work out for you and birthday-man, check her speaking schedule to see if she's nearby on another date near then. From what I've seen of her schedule, she often speaks to more than one group in a region. If you're willing to drive a little farther, you might be able to see her on a different date around the same time.

• 1 month later...

I wish Susan Barton or other evidence-based dyslexia experts would do a free seminar here in Canada. Out of curiosity, were you able to go and celebrate dh's birthday on a different day?

Good suggestion on celebrating on a different night-our anniversary is on the 27th, so maybe I'll sell it as an anniversary gift :001_smile:.

I didn't :(. Hubby really wanted us all together, but I did go out online and watch her 3videos which I understand are just the videotaped seminar that she did somewhere. I'm actually glad I did this instead so I could stop it and take notes as I went through :). I also watched her one for homeschool moms on her bartonreading.com website. Her websites have been very helpful as I am starting out this journey!