1. 1. Best Read-Aloud

• The Trumpet of the Swan
    • Julie of the Wolves
    • Ginger Pye
    • Little Britches
    • The Indian in the Cupboard
    • Sounder
    • The Cricket in Times Square

My kids liked Cricket in Times Square; it's not too long, but it was sweet.

We've recently listened to two of the Little Britches books. The boys (3 and 7) particularly like them. I really appreciate one, the admiration and respect that the author shows for his parents, and two, the amount of hard work that Ralph does as a young boy. Very inspiring, IMO.

Trumpet of the Swan is a beautiful, wonderful book, but I'd vote for the audioboook, because TH White reads it himself and it is lovely. Tie with Indian in the Cupboard. Little Britches is a good book, but my son found it to be less funny, and much more preachy, than the others.

Trumpet of the Swan is a beautiful, wonderful book, but I'd vote for the audioboook, because TH White reads it himself and it is lovely. Tie with Indian in the Cupboard. Little Britches is a good book, but my son found it to be less funny, and much more preachy, than the others.

I would pick EB White first. We read Stuart Little last year as part of writing project. I had forgotten how wonderfully he writes, he makes words sing. That could be easily glossed over if you're reading it by yourself.

Each of the choices is wonderful in its on way. I do not know how old your children are. Julie of the Wolves does have a dramatic scene with an attempted rape and some deep emotional themes. I voted to begin the list with Trumpet of the Swan, but I love them all!

Trumpet of the Swan is a beautiful, wonderful book, but I'd vote for the audiobook, because TH White reads it himself and it is lovely.

:iagree:

My kids also loved the audiobook of Cricket in Times Square, but only the version narrated by René Auberjonois (yes, the actor who played Odo on DS9). He has the perfect voice for this story, and the recording includes all the sound effects -- the radio opera, cricket chirps, etc.

Each of the choices is wonderful in its on way. I do not know how old your children are. Julie of the Wolves does have a dramatic scene with an attempted rape and some deep emotional themes. I voted to begin the list with Trumpet of the Swan, but I love them all!

Yikes. I haven't read Julie... yet, so thanks for the warning.

We are going to read The Indian in the Cupboard and then try The Trumpet of the Swan on audio from the library.

Thanks for all your input!

Our shelves are filled with too many good books, I just can't decide which to read next. Please cast your vote for the best read-aloud for a nine-year-old boy. :001_smile:

Poll to follow. Wait for it.

We gave up on Little B because of too many injured horses. :tongue_smilie:

My son's all time favorite read aloud (and we did it when he was nine) was me reading ALL 13 books of A Series of Unfortunate Events. I enjoyed it, too. (But I still think I deserve a pin.)

I think my answer depends a lot on your kids ages and previous experencies with books.

But I do not recommend "The Cricket in Times Square" as a read aloud. Instead you should listen to it as an audio recording. It has music pieces added to it which make it wonderful as a book to listen to together.

Unless your kids are ready for the sequels (Which, if I remember correctly are scarier, more complex...) I don't recommend "The Indian in the cupboard".

I think I read "Sounder" in middle school. I'm not sure it's a good choice for a early elementary read aloud. But this is me trying to recall something from a long time ago.

"Julie of the Wolves" has sequels. I would look up those first. Then read the book, "Julie of the Wolves" when you are willing to read the sequels out loud, or a member of your listening audience is a good enough reader that he/she might carry on reading the series.

Sorry I'm not telling you what to read instead of your requested, "What to read". I do hope it's helpful anyways.