Menu

financial set back

What grades and subject do you homeschool? There are many free resources available.

http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/web_games.htm

http://www.khanacademy.org/

http://www.montereyinstitute.org/nroc/

http://www.ck12.org/

http://www.learnerstv.com/study_notes.php

http://www.learner.org/index.html

If you post more details, I'll be happy to send links to a few more specific resources - we use a ton of free stuff in almost all subjects.

I need to cutback our budget to very bare minimum and I need some ideas, especially for groceries and homeschool. I'm especially worried about Christmas since there is no longer any budget left for that.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

You are not alone. I'm going to look at some of the ideas in this thread.

We had to replace two cars this past year, with 10 year old cars no less, and I'm still paying off a big medical bill. I've never been in debt. I pay my bills every month. This is the first time I've thought, we just can't do it. We never eat out. We never go to movies. We never go on vacation. We do free things for kids activities, and still, here we are.... I think we need about $1,000 more per month and how do I get that????

We've been in the same situation. :grouphug:

For Christmas, I made some homemade games for my kids, nieces and nephews one year. I already had a laminator and laminating sheets, though, which helped. I also just flat out explained to my kids that money was tight and that the holidays weren't going to look exactly like the previous holidays. We had fun baking, reading books, playing games, etc. If you have a positive attitude about the holidays, the kids will, too.

For Christmas you may want to give non monetary gifts, like a coupon book.

1. Get out of doing X subject for the day.

2. Get an extra 45 minutes on electronics for the day.

3. Get out of X chore for the day.

4. One on one time with Mom/Dad/whatever.

You can also hit yard sales, freecyle, thrift stores, etc.....and give something they would like but that is 2nd hand. We do that here all the time.

I linked this book before. It is no longer free, but it is still relatively cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00703HTGS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00703HTGS&linkCode=as2&tag=budget101com-20

I assume you already have cut back on extras like phones, cable, internet, and that soft of thing.

You are not alone! I have pulled out old cooking magazines I got years ago. I made a layer cake on Saturday and it was a big hit. Let me tell you, since you have to eat, can you make something special at Christmas along the food line. I am not talking expensive meat, but make some candy or something. How about popcorn balls too?

I am looking at putting more time into creating unique food with what I have to make Holidays special without all the commericalism.

Just a thought!

Along the homeschooling lines, use the library for resources. Also, look for a used book store or look for resources at library sales. I think you got good info for free things on the internet as well.

Thank you so much ladies!! Please keep the ideas rolling.

We live in a rather affluent area so it is hard seeing all the new cars/clothes/etc knowing that is no where on our radar. Actually, much of it has never been on our radar, but now even more basic things are off. It is just hard listening to folks talk about their weekly massages/hair/nails, monthly get-aways/date nights when that has just never been an option for us. We thought money was getting a bit "less tight" when suddenly it is tighter than it has ever been.

Last week, I signed dds up for 1st semester co-ops that I cannot be refunded. They will do them as the money has already been spent, but they will not be able to do 2nd semester.

Again, thanks so much for the support, I can use it at the moment!!!

You would be surprised at what you can find at thrift stores, especially those in affluent neighborhoods or those run by a ritzy charity auxiliary. I imagine that you would be able to find great Christmas gifts by haunting those from now on. Go about once every week or two, and look for like new items.

:iagree:

I have had some major "scores" at our local Goodwill stores.

For groceries, beans and rice with frozen organic vegetables is a very inexpensive meal.

Any kind of beans (there are dozens!): just soak overnight and boil in the day. Pennies per serving!

And use brown rice or you won't get nutrition.

Organic frozen broccoli/spinach/etc. is pretty cheap if you buy the store brand.

You can vary which beans you use.

For instance, one day you can make lentil soup with carrots in it.

Another day you can make black eyed peas with brown rice and tomato sauce.

Another day you can make black bean soup with toppings (raw onion, grated cheese, crumbled fried bread).

All these are very inexpensive meals.

Good luck!

You would be surprised at what you can find at thrift stores, especially those in affluent neighborhoods or those run by a ritzy charity auxiliary. I imagine that you would be able to find great Christmas gifts by haunting those from now on. Go about once every week or two, and look for like new items.

:iagree: We've been dedicated thrift store scourers for years, so I'm a pro now. :D Thrift stores in affluent areas are the best! Our town is pretty well-off, and the stuff I find is amazing. Last time we went, I found a gorgeous Calvin Klein shirt ($1) a pair of Nautica khakis for dd that retail for over thirty bucks ($1) a complete Beatrix Potter treasury with all original illustrations in perfect condition (.50) and a great wooden child's chair ($2.00). For a twelve year old and sixteen year old, the juniors clothing section will be a goldmine for you for Christmas.

I find a lot of homeschooling stuff at the thrift stores, too. I've got a complete set of Saxon math, and most of those were in the big FREE boxes in the book section.

Ask around, too. Sometimes it's the little thrift store tucked away a few minutes out of town that has the best stuff.

I second this! I was in a Salvation Army store in Romeo two weeks ago and ended up SHOCKED at how wonderful so many of the items were. The front was an antique collectibles store, and the back was clothing, toys, and housewares. This is a upper middle class to higher salaried area with gorgeous turn of the century homes that have been restored and so it's not a place one can live cheaply. I saw a Gucci purse that was virtually new for $12.00. In the children's department, there were clothing items that were new with tags for $2.00 -3.00 each. There were basketball hoops still in their boxes, small pool tables, you name it. The "dress up" clothes which would make a great box for Christmas could be purchased for 25 -50 cents per item when they have their monthly 50% off sale. My boys are hard on sheets, so I purchased several twin sets that had hardly been used, maybe laundered three or four times and these were 400 thread count or higher to begin with, for $3.00 - $4.00 a set. There were several nice, themed blankets that could be quick zipped into "sleeping bags" and make nice gifts. They could even be given on Christmas Eve and then the whole family could camp out in the living room.

So, definitely, find out where your local Salvation Army store is. If you live in an affluent area, my guess is you'll find some lovely things to give away.

That said, we do not exchange Christmas gifts with very many extended family members. We were the first to bring it up one year when dh was moving from one company to another and the new company TOTALLY SCREWED UP HIS PAPERWORK. We went for 45 days with no pay and frankly, were not inclined to burrow into the emergency savings just to purchase Christmas gifts. Everyone was relieved because they'd been wanting to end the exchange too and just get together for a nice meal and games but had been reluctant to bring up the topic.

I don't know where you live, but the Shriners in Michigan do a LOT to help kids who need special medical gear and that includes expensive orthopedic shoes. They work through the children's hospitals. Try calling your closest Children's Hospital, explain the situation, and ask if there are any charities that do the same thing. You might get lucky. Also, some hospitals have a volunteer who coordinates the dispensing of used items. I have a friend whose boy received expensive shoes and a specialty walker that had been donated by a family. The shoes were in excellent condition...one of those outgrown before outworn kinds of things. Make your needs known. There are medical charities that help with these situations.

:grouphug: Faith

Thank you so much ladies!! Please keep the ideas rolling.

We live in a rather affluent area so it is hard seeing all the new cars/clothes/etc knowing that is no where on our radar. Actually, much of it has never been on our radar, but now even more basic things are off. It is just hard listening to folks talk about their weekly massages/hair/nails, monthly get-aways/date nights when that has just never been an option for us. We thought money was getting a bit "less tight" when suddenly it is tighter than it has ever been.

Last week, I signed dds up for 1st semester co-ops that I cannot be refunded. They will do them as the money has already been spent, but they will not be able to do 2nd semester.

Again, thanks so much for the support, I can use it at the moment!!!

I know what you mean about living in a well-off area. We have a higher cost of living, higher real estate taxes, higher insurance rates. Dh's job is here so we're stuck. We do have a great library, though.;)

We went to a party yesterday. The house was beautiful, the people were beautiful, their clothes were gorgeous. All the women had professionally colored hair, attractive manicures and pedicures. They talked about their overseas vacations. They were, honestly, very sweet and kind, but I started to feel a little green. I know the material things wouldn't make me any happier, but I still have to pay the bills...

I think a big part of the problem is not the educational expenses, but the fact that food and gas prices have increased so much. Then there are the things you never planned for in life that knock you for a loop, like the unexpected car and medical expenses.

For your homeschooling needs, put a request in to The Book Samaritan. They are a wonderful charity that provides homeschooling books to those in need globally, no questions asked. I would put in a request now if you need it in January, as they take about a month and that way you have time to request again if they don't have what you wanted.

Our town has no thrift stores. The town over does and we do shop there. So far, I've not found any great bargains. We've gotten some summer sun dresses, winter hat, and a book or 2, but that is about it. I'll start going weekly and keeping my eyes open though

I know what you mean about living in a well-off area. We have a higher cost of living, higher real estate taxes, higher insurance rates. Dh's job is here so we're stuck. We do have a great library, though.;)

We went to a party yesterday. The house was beautiful, the people were beautiful, their clothes were gorgeous. All the women had professionally colored hair, attractive manicures and pedicures. They talked about their overseas vacations. They were, honestly, very sweet and kind, but I started to feel a little green. I know the material things wouldn't make me any happier, but I still have to pay the bills...

I think a big part of the problem is not the educational expenses, but the fact that food and gas prices have increased so much. Then there are the things you never planned for in life that knock you for a loop, like the unexpected car and medical expenses.

Very well said!! We have been hit with a bunch of auto repairs lately and I can only hope there won't be any more. There have also been more than average medical expenses as well. Now, with the budget taking a huge hit, it is scary.

The folks I know locally are generally very kind. But, we could not take 3 vacations this summer on our "usual" budget. Nor could we do many of the other things we have been invited to participate in. It might be a "great bargain" to some, but to us it was out of budget. The new budget will cover basics and that is about it. And basics will not be spa treatments, multiple vacations, new cars, dinners out.

Do you have a Walmart in your area?

I worked at Walmart for Christmas several years in a row when our young ones were little and my hubby was just starting his own business -- he worked delivering pizzas at night, too, so money was VERY tight for several years.

I was able to plan my work hours around my kids -- much easier now since many Walmarts are open 24 hours a day.

Not only did I earn money for Christmas, but I received a 20% discount on my purchases with my employee discount. Not sure what the discounts are these days as I haven't worked there since the late 1990s.

I believe they start hiring for Christmas soon -- no later than the end of October and they kept the seasonal employees on until mid-January.

Your girls are a good age for a "family heirloom" type gift for Christmas. I thought about this after my mom passed away and there was just so much stuff in her house. Of course a lot of that stuff she used and it made her life pleasant, but I was left thinking that I might want to pass on some of my stuff throughout life, instead of having it all at the end. Perhaps you have a favorite book you enjoyed at your daughter's age that you could pass on to her. Maybe some earrings or shoes from younger days (I have nice boots that I outgrew during pregnancy that I'm just waiting for one of my dds to fit). Or maybe pass along something you inherited from a grandmother if there is something like that.

I also agree with making Christmas special through baking or crafts with things on hand. If you know how to make paper snowflakes, it would be fun to teach your dds and make a bunch for the windows.

:iagree:

In MY family handmade gifts are coveted. They don't have to be made with much $, but let me tell you, if my Aunt makes you socks, or a hat, or fingerless mitts? You are GOLD. My cousin (who is an art teacher) makes handpainted thank you notes and even makes the box, or last year she made garden ornaments like toadstools and garden signs that were gorgeous. My other cousin, just has this amazing way of assembling things that she finds into incredible presents.

My brother makes vension jerky that we fight over, my dad makes us birdhouses and benches, my mom made me a Mary Englibeitesque afghan that I adore.

For some people, making stuff is Not Done, but I've found that the gift of time that goes into making something is very treasured. People don't have that kind of time anymore, and knowing that you spent YOUR time on them? They really appreciate it.

Because many people don't bake anymore, a gift of homemade bread is a treat. Or cookies. I make everyone cinnamon rolls, fudge, cookies and I put them in tins. Old fashioned, but people give me the tins back so that they 'put their order' in for the next year! (make sure it's one that you do really well, like a signature cookie they can expect from you)

Making handmade soap is cheap, and easy. (You just have to start now so it can cure well) and if you wrap it prettily, you have something spa worthy. Attach an handmade ornament and scent the soaps with cinnamon.

Make some cakestands out of thrift store china. Make birdfeeders out of teacups and saucers. Make quilted oven mitts. OR mini quilted coasters.

Join pinterest for ideas. Or someone can send you an invite.

Homeschooling: the longer I homeschool, the more I see it's all about me, the teacher, not the curriculum. I don't spend much anymore. I have a lot of old tried and true books, and that's what I stick with. I am there for discussion, and that's the most important part, so go back to the old ways.

Reframe this as a challenge, and that you are going to find your core teaching philosophy through this trial, and that you will become more creative.

When an art teacher plans a project to teach, she doesn't open the door and say, "OK, make anything you want." IT's overwhelming!

You get a paper, cut to a certain size, you get three chalks, and directions-I don't want to see anything come from a corner! The most creative answers come from the tightest rules. :grouphug:

Our town has no thrift stores. The town over does and we do shop there. So far, I've not found any great bargains. We've gotten some summer sun dresses, winter hat, and a book or 2, but that is about it. I'll start going weekly and keeping my eyes open though

Keep checking, and find out if the churches have thrift stores or if the hospital has an auxiliary.

Really, they are *fantastic*.

Check out The Complete Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn at your public library. It was written in the 90s so the numbers are out of date, but the advice is timeless. It is also the go-to book for the most severe financial situations.

Would you believe our local library does not have this title? Did I mention this is a rather affluent area? We also cannot do interlibrary loans due to the independent nature of the library system here.

Since you live in an affluent area can you try to get a part time job at a department store over the holidays? A lot of those stores will be hiring soon now that college students are going back to school. My SIL works retail because they actually want you to work just a few hours a week. Then you get a good discount on the sort of things your dd's would want for Christmas. This is just a thought I am throwing out since I have seen how well it works for my SIL.

Re the thrift stores--the best ones are not the big names like Salvation Army or Goodwill, although if you can find the SA central location that all the trucks go to, they might have a Collector's Corner where they 'skim' all the antiques and better clothes--there is one of those in my city, and I have found some amazing collectibles there for almost nothing, including a Hummel that completed a relative's collection, that she had been searching for for years.

When DD was 2 1/2 and I had to go back to work for a while, I bought my entire professional wardrobe there for about $150.00! A suit, three jackets, one or two black skirts, and four blouses--amazing.

But the best thrift stores are the one of's -- children's hospital auxiliary, or family shelter benefit organization, or things like that. The Junior League type volunteers there bring in their own things, and their discards can be really, really nice. I like luncheon sets, for instance, and over about a 3 year period found 24 sets and two punch bowls, one with a stand, all the sets matching--straight out of the 40's, utterly charming, and unavailable anywhere else. After Christmas there is one that just fills up with new toys--people clearing room for presents by getting rid of those that were not used from the prior year. Move your gift giving out to Epiphany, and you'll find stuff for all your kiddos, or at least family games, for extraordinarily reasonable prices.

Edited by Carol in Cal.