Menu

Cost of private speech therapy?

Ours is $110/hr for individual and the rate for a duo (two kids) is $60/hour. We poked our insurance company until they agreed to pay for 60 autism related visits per year. They count a 2 hour visit (1/2 indiv. and 1/2 duo with another kid with autism) as one visit for insurance and we pay one $15 copay.

I paid $140 an hour.

We did 6 sessions.

The problem was fixed.

This was 6 years ago.

It didn't occur to us to try to get the insurance

to pay for it but back then we had a lot less expenses.

Also, the speech therapist told us she did it for public schools

also and if I contacted the school the school would have to do

it for free even if we were homeschoolers. The only bad thing

is DC would only get 1/2 hour a week and have to share that 1/2

hour with 4 other kids. We opted for the one-on-one, very

expensive one.

She was really great, though! On the last day, she brought her

Boston Terrier for my DC to meet as a goodbye treat. And

DC's speech is still lisp-free.

Edited by jhschool

Ours is $110/hr for individual and the rate for a duo (two kids) is $60/hour. We poked our insurance company until they agreed to pay for 60 autism related visits per year. They count a 2 hour visit (1/2 indiv. and 1/2 duo with another kid with autism) as one visit for insurance and we pay one $15 copay.

Is it $60 per child or $60 for the session? Thanks!

$120 an hour at the private center I take my dd for therapy. They do work with parents though if they can't pay that amount. And, not all kids need a full hour a week. The therapist only receives a portion of that, the rest goes to the center. Because of that, a friend of mine asked a speech therapist she knows if she would be willing to do therapy at home. She was willing and they pay much, much less.

Is it $60 per child or $60 for the session? Thanks!

It is $60 per child but we only have 1 child. What we do each week costs $170 but thankfully we have insurance coverage and it is a $15 copay. The therapy, which is more about nonverbal communications and social interactions, has been invaluable.

Ours is about 50 dollars for a half hour, private session. 75 for a 45 minute half hour session and 100 dollars for an hour private session.

We have spent literally thousands on speech therapy. All 3 of my boys have needed it. When we started it was 47/70.5/94 for the above sessions.

I don't know group rates.

Eta: We have had one insurance cover it 80/20 after a 1000 dollar deductible. Our insurance now doesn't cover it unless it is the result of an accident/injury/illness and normal speech was present before. Thankfully, my kids are done.

Edited by mom23boys

We paid $80/hr for a private speech therapist specializing in stuttering. He started with twice a week, then quickly went to once a week, then once a month and now we don't go anymore. DS went for a total of about 8 or 9 months.

That is what ds is currently struggling with. Our insurance doesn't cover it but by law our school district has to.

I had no idea it was so much :(

I used to be a speech therapist (years ago, in my former life before kids) and if you are seeking speech therapy for stuttering, I just want to urge you to really look for the right therapist. Stuttering can actually be made worse by the wrong therapy, and delaying therapy can turn it into a lifelong issue. The Stuttering Foundation of America keeps a list of speech therapists who specialize in stuttering therapy. Not all SLP's are equally comfortable with it or have experience with it. In my personal opinion, a therapist without the actual experience who is really devoted to investing the time and energy into the therapy and into learning as much as possible can still do a good job. But I know when I worked in the public schools, too often the therapists' caseloads were too large for them to devote a large amount of time or energy to one student. If they didn't have the background, they didn't have much time to get it.

Edited by mybluesky
typo

I used to be a speech therapist (years ago, in my former life before kids) and if you are seeking speech therapy for stuttering, I just want to urge you to really look for the right therapist. Stuttering can actually be made worse by the wrong therapy, and delaying therapy can turn it into a lifelong issue. The Stuttering Foundation of America keeps a list of speech therapists who specialize in stuttering therapy. Not all SLP's are equally comfortable with it or have experience with it. In my personal opinion, a therapist without the actual experience who is really devoted to investing the time and energy into the therapy and into learning as much as possible can still do a good job. But I know when I worked in the public schools, too often the therapists' caseloads were too large for them to devote a large amount of time or energy to one student. If they didn't have the background, they didn't have much time to get it.

:iagree:

We went to a university about an hour away that had a speech pathology program. My son was treated by a professor, but students attended his speech sessions.

The benefit to us -- the 1-hour sessions cost $10 each! And the students were all young women who specialized in making ds feel at home. He had quite an adoring crowd at the sessions, so the fact that there were multiple people in the room was not an issue.

How did you find a private therapist? We pay $40 per half

hour through a clinic. Our insurance won't cover it because we could get it through the schools. The schools won't give it to me unless I put her in 5 day preschool. It would be so nice if i could find someone to come to the house though instead of drivung over an hour every week.

That is what ds is currently struggling with. Our insurance doesn't cover it but by law our school district has to.

I had no idea it was so much :(

Well, I can tell you the sum total of 9 months of speech therapy for stuttering. Are you ready?

Breathe

and

Stretch

That's pretty much it. :glare:

Don't get me wrong, we had a great therapist and I've recommended her to many people. However, this was pretty much what we practiced every. single. week. DS's stuttering wasn't severe though, so perhaps that's why. Eventually, we quit going because we were capable of replicating exactly what she did in therapy at home. As a therapist, she even agreed.

Ours is $128/hour. Our dd has more serious language problems (apraxia among other things). We didn't expect that our insurance company would pay anything, but surprisingly right now we only have to pay an $18 copay for dd's sessions. Our ds is in speech for articulation only and our insurance does not pay anything for it.