Menu

Trampoline Owners!

I've been mulling over getting one for Christmas this year. Just a cursory google left me confused. I had no idea there were do many sizes and styles, as well as variation in price. Any suggestions on where to look and things I should take into consideration? (My Dad was an insurance salesman and would never let us have one because of safety concerns.)

Thanks!

Sara

We have had this one for 3 years. My kids love it. It was pricey for us to buy alone, so both sets of grandparents helped out at xmas-time. It was a hit and it gets used D.A.I.L.Y. In fact, they are playing Beyblades on it right now. It has not torn, rusted, or otherwise failed.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Skywalker-12-Round-Trampoline-Safety-Enclosure-Combo/17175987?findingMethod=rr

I grew up with a rectangular one with no net, so this is an improvement!

We ended up getting a trampoline from Sams for about $300 (eith enclosure) a few years ago. Held up great and the enclosure is a must. We sold it for $100 when we moved. I am glad we didn't end up getting one of the super expensive ones.

As you are in AZ, you might ask locally what kind of luck people have had with durability in the desert sun.

GL! My kids have missed it since we moved.

First chedk with your insurance agent to see if there are any waivers or requirements about them on your homeowners policy. The company my dh works for wants them behind locked fences and they must have pads and the tall safety nets. Without those they will cancel the policy.

My in laws bought this style for the kids

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/christmas/christmas-gift-ideas/6653318/Christmas-2009-gift-guide-girls-5-12.html?image=8

Ours is a 12' and I'm glad it's not any smaller. I love that the net is attached and can't come off if the kids are bouncing against it. I also love those style of springs, they are must less forceful when pushing the kids up so it's not as hard on their knees. My kids spend a LOT of time out on it. My dd is out there reading a book right now.

First chedk with your insurance agent to see if there are any waivers or requirements about them on your homeowners policy. The company my dh works for wants them behind locked fences and they must have pads and the tall safety nets. Without those they will cancel the policy.

:iagree: Dh is in insurance too, and I believe they have a separate endorsement.

We got one from Sam's. Held up great in the sun. It was used almost daily. Our homeowners did threaten to cancel our policy over it. So, we changed insurance companies and ended up with better coverage for a lower price while being allowed to keep the trampoline. (Switched to Allstate.)

My advice is not to get a cheap one. They die in a couple seasons from the sun.

We got a 13ft oval SpringFree a couple years ago. Love it! The kids use it all the time. Even I enjoy it :) It was more $$ at the outset, but it still looks new after a couple seasons use, and I don't think there is a safer trampoline out there.

My advice is not to get a cheap one. They die in a couple seasons from the sun.

We got a 13ft oval SpringFree a couple years ago. Love it! The kids use it all the time. Even I enjoy it :) It was more $$ at the outset, but it still looks new after a couple seasons use, and I don't think there is a safer trampoline out there.

I think it probably is better to spend the money on a better quality one, but $350 sounds so much more palatable than $1000. I bet the sun where I live would be equally harsh on the expensive one and the cheaper one. Hmmmmmm. I guess checking with the ins. Is the place to start.

We inherited one not long after we moved in. Our neighbors were moving out and didn't want it. So dh took it. I was not consulted for the decision. :mad:

I do not like it. We have already had one broken arm on the dumb thing and that was with the net on it (ds mis-stepped, fell, and broke his arm).

The net has since broken so the kids are not allowed on it. So now it's just an eyesore in our backyard.

We had to sign something for our home insurance. Something about if anyone is over and gets injured on it, home ins. won't pay for medical care.

We LOVE our trampoline. We bought a cheap 12 foot one from Walmart I believe. It gets used daily when it's not over 90 degrees, so not much use in the summer; the pad gets too hot. We had one in Texas and had to replace the net after an especially hot summer because it became brittle and tore badly. We also had to replace the pad that covers the springs. We found good deals on new ones on Ebay or Amazon...$50-ish dollars each I believe.

When we moved and bought our house in Florida, we told the insurance company we had a trampoline and they approved our insurance application. They called a few months later and said they were not supposed to approve it because of the trampoline and we had to get rid of it. We told them too bad, we weren't getting rid of it and changed insurance companies after our term or whatever expired. Our insurance went up $12 a year with the new company.

It is such a great energy outlet for my kids and so worth it.

Ours gets daily use, too. We leave it out in the winter, and the kids have to shovel it off.

My SIL is going to dig a hole in their yard to put theirs over (if you've never heard of this, google it - it's pretty cool, though more work / upkeep than we were willing to do).

Some neighbors I had growing up had done this. It was very cool. I'd commit to that if I wanted to stay in this house long term, which I definitely don't!

• 8 years later...