Menu

Yawing?

Karen in CO

My dd yawns when she reads aloud. She's my third reader, and I've never had this problem. About a minute or two after she starts reading aloud, she starts yawning. She'll yawn for the whole 20 minutes. Has anyone had this problem before? It isn't at all related to being tired or to time of day. The other two have asthma and have never had this problem. Any idea what's causing it or what I can do to stop it?

I'd try altering her posture. Try various things -- sitting very straight on a hard-seated chair, standing, standing against a wall, curling up in the corner of a couch... Practice breathing from the diaphragm (easiest demonstration is to have her lie flat on her back with her knees up, put hands on her belly and take deep breaths without moving her shoulders), then encourage her to pause between each paragraph to take one full, deep breath (without moving her shoulders)...

It's not really an uncommon problem. The trick is figuring out why her body thinks it's deprived of oxygen and working around that. Maybe she's reading quickly and not giving herself enough time to get a really complete breath between phrases. Maybe she's slouched just enough that when she's reading that consistently, she's not getting quite enough breath in...

When I was struggling with anxiety I would do that. I felt I couldn't catch my breath, and would try to yawn repeatedly.

Don't freak out- there could be a million reasons why someone might yawn. And also small amounts of anxiety are normal.

But does sue really really hate it? Is she so bored by it, it makes her upset? Just an idea.

Anxiety, diaphragm breathing and body position - thanks ladies. I was annoyed and confused so now I have some things to consider and try. She had some very severe reading problems caused by developmental issues with her vision so anxiety is something I need to really consider. We quit reading for years and only did phonics. She is now a great reader, but she doesn't know that she is. She has no confidence in her ability to read. I'll pay more attention tomorrow to see if she yawns less on her second read through of her book, then I 'll start playing with body position.

Thanks for the ideas. Ya'll are awesome. :D

oh my gosh, I do this too. And I hate reading out loud already. This just makes it even worse. It's so annoying. :glare: Maybe I'll have to try standing while I read and see if that helps.

I do it too and it is frustrating. One of my dds does it, too, (my best reader) so I assume it is genetic.

DH and I tend to yawn when we are reading aloud some books to dd - books that our brain finds boring. Could it be that your dd is bored with her reading material? I mean, the books may be at her reading level but below her comprehension level?

If you are picking the books for her, you may try letting her choose instead. Or, you may try doing a few days of "buddy reading" where you read one paragraph and she reads the next.

oh my gosh, I do this too. And I hate reading out loud already. This just makes it even worse. It's so annoying. :glare: Maybe I'll have to try standing while I read and see if that helps.

I always yawn when I read a loud! Goodness, I am yawning right now just thinking about it! Read a louds are a tough one for me!

:D

Ugggh. I do this too. It's a big part of the reason why I HATE to read aloud.

ME, TOO!!! ME, TOO!!! ME, TOO!!! to all of the above! so glad i'm not alone.

So what do you all do? i tend to just avoid reading aloud, but really want to. :confused:

Interesting. My dd does this during math if she is feeling slightly stressed. I've watched, and for us it appears to be just that, a minor stress response. From the other responders, though, it sounds like that isn't the only possible cause to look at.

Unfortunately, it quickly escalates as we get into a tense discussion about covering her mouth every time. Even when I can see my buttons clear as day it can be hard to avoid them.

So what do you all do? i tend to just avoid reading aloud, but really want to.
I just try not to read aloud. I really don't like it, because I read so fast silently, that I feel like I'm just going sooo slow out loud. So I do a lot of audiobooks/librivox stuff. I'm doing FIAR this year though, so I'm going to have to read out loud a little bit. I'm going to try standing or sitting better.

It is a completely normal physical response. We yawn to put more oxygen into our system. We often yawn when sleepy or very relaxed because or breathing becomes shallow. When we need to 'perk up' our body takes a deep breath to put more oxygen in our blood.

When reading out loud we are expelling oxygen and a constant rate, more perhaps than we are inhaling. So, we yawn to force a raise in oxygen levels. That's all it is. She is reading out loud and breathing out all oxygen and needs more. It does not mean she is bored, tired, not engaged, disrespectful, doesn't like the book or anything at all other than she needs more oxygen.

She might get better at her breathing rate, but might not. I did because I have had a lot of experience with public speaking and learned how to breath in a more normal fashion while reading out loud from a text. Lots of people never do. No biggie.

It is a simple biological response.

ME, TOO!!! ME, TOO!!! ME, TOO!!! to all of the above! so glad i'm not alone.

So what do you all do? i tend to just avoid reading aloud, but really want to. :confused:

I still read aloud every day. My youngest nudges me and thinks it's funny. I honestly just deal with the yawns because I enjoy reading to them so much. I love children's book!

Yep. I breathe much more when not reading aloud because it's just easier to do. Reading aloud well has become sort of an art for me, but it is still hard to remind myself to breathe enough. :lol:

It is a completely normal physical response. We yawn to put more oxygen into our system. We often yawn when sleepy or very relaxed because or breathing becomes shallow. When we need to 'perk up' our body takes a deep breath to put more oxygen in our blood.

When reading out loud we are expelling oxygen and a constant rate, more perhaps than we are inhaling. So, we yawn to force a raise in oxygen levels. That's all it is. She is reading out loud and breathing out all oxygen and needs more. It does not mean she is bored, tired, not engaged, disrespectful, doesn't like the book or anything at all other than she needs more oxygen.

She might get better at her breathing rate, but might not. I did because I have had a lot of experience with public speaking and learned how to breath in a more normal fashion while reading out loud from a text. Lots of people never do. No biggie.

It is a simple biological response.

Thanks ladies. I think we've cured it. :D

It was slouching mixed with anxiety which causes her to kind of curl into herself when she reads. If she sits straight up, she doesn't yawn more than once or twice. The anxiety is resolving itself as she's discovering that she is actually a really good reader. Those years with visual processing problems really hurt her confidence, but she is slowly winning it back.