Menu

New Homeschool Mom questions

eksargent

I will start homeschooling my 2 sons (ages 6 & 8) in August. I am deciding on what materials and programs to start with. Any suggestions or direction is much appreciated. This can be overwhelming!

My 6 year old son completed kindergarten (in school) and is a great reader. Can I skip Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading? He gets quickly bored and even offended when I ask him to read books that are on his age level.

I plan on starting Spelling Workout A, First Language Lessons, and some kind of handwriting program (suggestions?). I am leaning towards Saxon for Math (opinions?). For history, Story of the World (it seems to be a well put together program that would be easy for me to present). Science I am up in the air. I need the lessons planned out for me. I can use encyclopedias as reference.

Art...Any suggestions on some good craft/art project books for a not so crafty mom? Music...we may do lessons. But, I am interested in finding a good computer or at home learning program for the piano.

What about a vocabulary supplement? Too much for now?

I am working on one kid at a time. Thank you in advance for any and all information, suggestions, and support. I have absolutely no experience in homeschooling and am well aware I have no idea what I am getting into...but I'm excited anyway!

Thanks,

Emily

That was the ages of my kids when I started homeschooling them. They are now 12 and 14. I know that feeling of excitement and had to smile when I read your post.

You are going to get all sorts of advice, so I will get my first little tidbits in ahead of the crowd.

1. You are going to spend HOURS looking through curriculum and reviews of curriculum trying to decide what is best for your kids. Well, guess what? A WHOLE LOT of things are going to be just right for your kids:) It took me several years to figure this out. You will beat yourself up over curriculum you think may have ruined your kids and wonder if the curricullum you loved this year could possibly be topped next year with something better.

Stick to the tried and trues for the most important (for a couple of years at least). Experiment with the less important ones. For example, in math, Saxon is a tried and true, as is Singapore, as is Abeka, as is Horizons etc. You will hear these names come up in conversations again and again. They are all good. The same goes for English and science and reading. A few names will pop up again and again. You might want to go with one of the ones you hear mentioned frequently.

Now, at ages six and eight, vocabulary, critical thinking skills, history and foreign/ancient language are less important (not the three R's). Try out new, fun, less mainstream if that is your personality type. You can't go too wrong. Always ask people on this board or other homeschool boards about their personal experiences.

2. In October, if you are despising something you are using, IT IS O.K. TO KICK IT TO THE CURB AND START OVER!!! That is another thing it took me a long time to get. For instance, last year I decided to try Rod and Staff math with my daughter. She hated it. I switched to Teaching Textbooks IN OCTOBER. Guess what? She is o.k., I am o.k. and the world didn't come to an end, and the curriculum police didn't bust in our door and drag us off. I guess what I am trying to say is, you will pick some losers. Lose them quickly without looking back and move on. Your kids will love you for it.

3. Most kids are average. There. I said it. Whew! That felt good to say. Remember, when you see posts about scores and awards and lifetime, unlimited, scholarships, you aren't seeing the big picture. Most likely, your kids will excel in some areas and possibly struggle in other areas. Guess what? The world is filled with incredibly successful people who had the same experiences and struggles. When I get down about my kid's performances in an area they struggle in, I remember what one of my professors told me. He said, "Few people hire 4.0s or are happy after they do. They are often too difficult and rigid to work with. Employers want to be surrounded by competent, multi-talented, well-rounded individuals who are humble and gracious. Make sure you don't lose yourself and your kids in the scores. There is more to raising a truly "educated" person.

So, go out there and stumble, mumble and fall down. Pick yourself up and do it all over again. Homeschooling is an amazing experience. Welcome aboard!

I'm sure the first many will ask is do you want secular or Christian materials?

My thoughts are if you child is reading well then I'd skip OPG. Why beat a dead horse if you know what I mean.

I think you're thoughts for Language Arts are good. My kids didn't care for FLL but that's just them. They like Growing with Grammar instead since they like workbooks for things like that. I'm also starting my 1st grader on the new Writing Program from Peace Hill Press, Writing with Ease, which looks great. So we won't be using a separate handwriting program since they'll be doing copywork and narration with that. We're using History Odyssey this year but have used SOTW for the last 2 years. The kids like it but wanted a change.

As for Science you may want to check out NOEO Science we'll be using their biology this year. They use many living books and plan out all the reading and experiments for you. They also use the narration method instead of worksheets and tests. My kids requested this instead of another program I was planning on. Science has been hard for me, we had a lot of things that just didn't work for us the last 2 years, but NOEO looks like something we'll really enjoy.

We use Saxon math and used it our first year but didn't last year and half way through the kids begged to use it again. It's one of those programs people seem to either love or hate, my kids love it.

For Art I just use Evan Moor books like "How to teach art to children" and Theme Pockets, and Art for all Seasons. With the theme pockets we don't do the whole pocket just the projects I think they'll like. You can check them out at http://www.evan-moor.com

We don't do anything for music so I'm no help there.

Hope some of this helps

I second Kelly's advice. It is so good, I am saving it for future reference. Read TWTM book for your children's ages. I read the whole thing right off and nearly burnt us out. Take little steps. Try to avoid the " I have to teach it all this year" mindset. There is plenty of time to fit in all you want them to learn. Also try to avoid the "So and so is doing so much more " comparison. You and your kids will be much happier.

Handwriting...what have they been using? Do you have a particular style of cursive you want them to learn? Are you pleased with their handwriting? Handwriting Without Tears is popular and wonderful. TWTM suggests it or Zaner-Bloser Handwriting for a more traditional slanted style of cursive. Do you prefer how Getty Dubay Italics looks? All 3 styles can be googled for websites. I don't know how to link.

Music...for those ages, we LOVE Calvert School's Discovering Music kit. It is a bit pricey at $155. You don't need the extra student kit. Check ebay.

My other suggestion is to combine your kiddos in the extras of history, science, art, and music. This saves you from losing it trying to do all their subjects separately. It is more fun for them and you to be working together.

Welcome!

My son (6.5 yo) is going to do 1st grade, pretty much like your dc.

The following are my suggestion:

- math: RightStart Math level B. It teaches math conceptually and is fun fun fun. Your child will understand math at a conceptual level instead of just via rote memorization if you use this. Do a search in this forum to see other people's opinion about this program. I use it for K level and highly recommend it.

- LA: I don't have any curriculum for this other than getting my son to practice reading using FREE old (classic) reader downloaded from googlebooks + borrow books from the library, plus doing some narration across curriculum as a preparation for composition in the later grade , copywork, poetry study and simple prepared dictation (not sure about the later though).

I see taht your son is advanced in reading. So my suggestion is just to continue reading, and add narration, memorization (prob'ly coming from FLL ?) and copywork (does FLL provide this ?). If you think you want to do some spelling, consider using: All About Spelling. Everybody raves about it, and I do have level 1 which I'm going to use to occasionally reinforce phonics and beginning dictation with my son. Search this forum about this spelling curriculum.

- history: SOTW seems fine. We're not going to use it though. We opt for story-based history for 1st and 2nd grade.

- science: we're going to use NEbel's Building Scientific Foundation and Understanding (BSFU). Do a search on this book in this forum. It's not a pick and go curriculum, but it's superb.

- Penmanship: Handwriting without tears hands down. This is the curriculum which has done 'magic' on my boy's capability to write and draw. I bought the wooden manipulative, small blackboard + chalk and stamp and see screen, along with the workbook (I used the pre-K and K book for my son when he's at the K level). I've used other curriculum w/o manipulative (only writing on the sand, and air writing), but it didn't work. \

Hope this helps.

Dian

looking back to when i began, i should have held off the 'scheduling' and textbooks for a while. it is so natural to teach a first grader...i am loving it with my 3rd child - i was a little too concerned about 'keeping up' with my first 2. live and learn!

with reading, i think the best thing you can do with your 6 year old is to enjoy books with him. what he needs is lots of practice, right?

i love the getty-dubay italic handwriting - its beautiful - and especially for boys who seem to have trouble with traditional handwriting (a total generalization!)

if your son enjoys working alongside you, he will love FLL and saxon. if it is frustrating for him, they may not be the best choice. i have spent many hours on the couch together with FLL and it has been well accepted by my kids.

if your son does not like to dawdle in math, saxon may be frustrating. my son (almost 7) loves the workbook part, and the lego part (which we use instead of linking cubes) but the talking and sitting are certainly a challenge. i think we may switch to a new program.

we are not very organized with sci so i can't help you there...we just figure out a topic and dig in, getting library books and tons of stuff online.

for music, i teach them piano and we just constantly listen to classical and when i remember, i say, hey, this is beethoven. we did enjoy peter and the wolf, with leonard bernstein, and you tube has great choices if, say, you want to see a tuba in action.

i agree that aside from the basics at this age, and even 8 years, most of the rest is gravy and it may be better to get a good routine going before you spend a lot of time or money on extras. get some library books, listen to some music, go for nature walks. let your schooling build from your success and don't overdo it.

Always keep in mind your main goals. Our goals were to teach our boys to enjoy learning, to learn discipline, and to understand the world. More specifically, for grammar stage: reading, writing and math skills. If they have those they can learn anything!

We did a four day classwork schedule with projects, catching up, and nature walks on Friday.

Curric. choices I am happy with include:

SOTW 1- 1st & 3rd grader did this together and loved it... the text, the suggested reading I found at our library and the projects.

FLL 1: Was OK. It was a very gentle introduction and included copywork, memorization, and dictation as well as grammar...we went through it at a fast pace finishing part one in Feb and continuing on with part 2.

Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading: My first grader could read so we skipped the first half and did the last part of the book. It covers the blends and unusual rules. I reccommend doing this..I even learned things--I knew how to pronounce the words, but didn't know the formal rule. It is so quick. We did two lessons/day four days a week. It really made my ds feel great about his reading abilities.

Saxon Math: Their are lots of good math programs. This one was a good fit for us.

Artistic Pursuits: My boys liked this and it corresponds with what they are learning in SOTW.

Daily Geography Practice: For my first grader since his workload was so much lighter than my 3rd grader. He zoomed through the first two books all on his own.

Rod and Staff English 3: We are secular homeschoolers so this was not a great fit but the program was excellent! We did most of the exercises orally and the worksheets my ds did on his own. My son really got a kick out of the terms they used..calling everyone brother, mother, father...lots of farming references etc.

Handwriting W/O Tears: This was OK, my 3rd grader learned a more traditional cursive and had trouble switching.

Music: We have them in piano lessons and listed to Behtoven's Wig cds.

Latin: We will be starting Prima Latina with both boys this year.

The only things I am thinking about changing are Spelling Workout and science. SWO Levels A and B are fine but my third grader had so much work to do that I am looking for a program that doesn't have so much busywork.

Science was a flop last year. I'm thinking of using REAL science this year.

I think that is it.

Hi Emily! I think your language arts choices look great. And I agree with the previous poster that you might want to look at a few different math choices and then decide. For music, we also enjoyed Calverts Discoveries in Music. For art, I would highly recommend Atelier. You can see samples at homeschoolart.com. For Science, we mostly read books, looked at encyclopedias, and watched videos. For your dc's ages, you might like one of Winter Promise Science programs. They have a bug program that looks really fun. You might also want to look at Bob Jones Science. Hope this helps!:001_smile:

Allison

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all who have shared experiences, given advice, and even offered encouragement!!! I am really learning from everyone.

A question about 3rd/4th grade...I was thinking about this...

Spelling Workout C or D

FLL3 (but Growning with Grammar is starting to look more like my style-the workbooks always appeal to me)

Writing...I have NO IDEA. Did WTM just come out with a writing program?

Saxon Math 3 or 4

SOTW (starting both boys together)

Science (want to do both boys together, but haven't decided on the program)

Prima Latina (any thoughts on this...I know nothing except what WTM has told me)

Art and Music will be together with my 6 year old.

Religion...any great suggestions? We are Christian (nondenominational). We have done lots of devotionals for boys, but I would like something more structured...maybe in addition to our devotionals.

Again, THANKS!!!

Emily

p.s. How in the world do I learn what all the abbreviations mean? I searched this website over an found nothing. What is ds, dh, dd? :confused:

I will start homeschooling my 2 sons (ages 6 & 8) in August. I am deciding on what materials and programs to start with. Any suggestions or direction is much appreciated. This can be overwhelming!

I am leaning towards Saxon for Math (opinions?).

Emily,

I'm fairly new to homeschooling as you are. I afterschooled and homeschool one child last year.

I can give you my opinion on Saxon Math: I strongly recommend it. It is complete and thorough. You may end up skipping some things and moving faster than the book recommends, but of all the math programs I have looked at; it is the best.

I do encourage you to look at all the programs and compare what works best for you.

I also use Singapore (Primary Math) as a supplement.

One thing to keep in mind it about Singapore: I read on a website that sells Singapore Math that using just the text and workbook alone is not the complete program that they actually use in Singapore. The parents do a lot of drill at home, so you would need to do a lot of extra drill.

There are good things about it, but I'd combine it with another curriculum - like Saxon.

Good luck in your curriculum search. :)

Science: www.easyclassical.com has great WTM-style curriculum and comes with a handy-dandy lesson-plan binder!

Handwriting: We are using Italic Handwriting because I like it aesthetically and it is almost seamless to transition from manuscript to cursive. I also recommend StartWrite; we use it to print extra practice sheets and plan on using it for copywork.

Phonics: IMHO, I think it is important to teach the rules even if a dc is good at decoding. Phonics Pathways is a primer that can be used with any age group. There is nothing "baby-fied" about it, no bells, no whistles. Just the facts, Sir! Just my two cents!

Math: We are using MUS because I prefer the mastery approach rather than the spiral approach of programs such as Saxon. In MUS, there seems to be a heavy focus on understanding concepts rather than doing problems by wrote formula. I also like the manipulatives a lot. I don't think there is anything wrong with Saxon, and I know many families use it very successfully.

I have so enjoyed this researching stage. I have looked at tons of curricula, and spent a lot of time gleaning from those more experienced on these boards.

Have fun!

Science: www.easyclassical.com has great WTM-style curriculum and comes with a handy-dandy lesson-plan binder!

Handwriting: We are using Italic Handwriting because I like it aesthetically and it is almost seamless to transition from manuscript to cursive. I also recommend StartWrite; we use it to print extra practice sheets and plan on using it for copywork.

Phonics: IMHO, I think it is important to teach the rules even if a dc is good at decoding. Phonics Pathways is a primer that can be used with any age group. There is nothing "baby-fied" about it, no bells, no whistles. Just the facts, Sir! Just my two cents!

Math: We are using MUS because I prefer the mastery approach rather than the spiral approach of programs such as Saxon. In MUS, there seems to be a heavy focus on understanding concepts rather than doing problems by wrote formula. I also like the manipulatives a lot. I don't think there is anything wrong with Saxon, and I know many families use it very successfully.

I have so enjoyed this researching stage. I have looked at tons of curricula, and spent a lot of time gleaning from those more experienced on these boards.

Have fun!

I agree with most of the above.

Phonics: DD is reading at 4th grade level but I do not feel comfortable leaving OPG unfinished. She will not do OPG because it is boring and sounding out words makes her feel embarassed. Instead of SWO I am going with a phonics based spelling program. All About Spelling was the one I was thinking of using. We are just going through Explode The Code because I already bought it and I am thinking that will be enough for her until we start Megawords in a later grade.

Writing and Grammar: Writing With Ease is the best curriculum I have seen or bought so far. Here is a link: http://peacehillpress.com/. It is fine alone for grades 1 and 2 IMO. I plan on getting FLL3, you can start it without FLL 1&2 from what I understand.

Writing Tales is great and combines writing and grammar for 3rd grade.

Math: I am switching from Horizons. It is fast-moving, spiral, seems disconnected and does not have enough teacher direction for me; I feel like I am leaving a lot to chance. I am thinking I will go with MUS because so many say that Saxon is boring, and I am feeling confident that MUS will not leave anything to chance.

Reading: Do not order a bunch of readers recommended from such and such company or person. My dd always hates them. Better to go to the library or book store, or even get a dreaded "reading book".

My opinions FWIW