Menu

Dont kill me...christmas shopping thread.

Last year I was done at this time but DH thought we should wait until October to start shopping this year. It doesn't really matter because it all shows up from Amazon anyway but he didn't want all the hidden boxes in his basement for as long.

This year is going to be a lot less for the kids in my family because since last year we had an aunt, my grandmother and my MIL die so this year kids are getting presents from half as many people. No big deal - they'll still have a great Christmas it'll just be obvious that there's a lot less under the tree.

DD (8 yo) and Niece (9 yo) - they're getting the exact same things

Awesome foam sword like you see at RenFest

Ravenburger puzzle

Picture book

Doctor Who figurine

Scheich animals (St. Nicholas Day)

Christmas themed picture book (St. Nicholas Day)

For the girls to share:

Snap Circuits

KEVA plans (this will bring our total up to 300 planks)

Playsilks

Nephew (3 yo)

Ravensburger Puzzle

Picture book

LEGO Duplo fire station or police station

DH

Tennis lessons

Compost barrel

A few new board games

My parents

German music CD's (they love these!)

Calendar with pictures of the kids

Homemade cookies and candy

My sisters

Each year I make them a scrapbook with old family pictures and some recipes from my grandmother

A few books about whatever their current interests are

Tervis tumblers

Friends

homemade bottles of amaretto

We have a few extended relatives that buy niece and DD gifts and we're telling them that the girls want LEGOs, LEGO friends, AG doll clothing, doll house furniture, and art and craft stuff.

Looking at that list it makes me a little sad because it shows how many people my family lost last year. DH essentially has nobody except for an aunt and a cousin left on his side of the family. They buy for the kids but the adults don't buy for each other. I have my parents and two sisters that live in town and that's it. I'm really missing my aunt and grandmother. Might be a tough Christmas.

We got the M&D castle a couple of years ago and it still looks brand new despite lots of use.

We've got a M&D castle also and it's been a huge hit.

Edited by aggieamy

Oy. I think it's great to get started this early. But I'm not ready.

Fall is kinda hard for me, especially through mid-October. We have three October birthdays. I haven't even figured out my kid's birthday present yet. Yikes. Do snowboots qualify?

I think for my girls (who will be young 6s at Xmas), Legos will be part of the mix. Maybe some DS games (they already have DSs). Some easy bling crafts and maybe some needlecrafts. I also have my eye on some portable desks.

But, shoot, they already have everything. Spoiled little brats.

Oh, and my other kid's birthday is 2 weeks after Christmas. :glare:

All four of my kids' birthdays are between 9/23 and 12/8. Three of them within 4 weeks. I feel your pain.

I read a blog where the family had all "share" presents under the tree. The big individual present for the year was given on each child's birthday. I'm contemplating this approach. We don't "do" Santa - but we do celebrate St. Nicholas Day so I might have some small individual gifts in the stockings as well.