Menu

Dont kill me...christmas shopping thread.

I'm starting to collect X-mas gifts too. My extended family does stockings so I need to find lots of "little" things before December. I am indecisive, so it really does take me many months to pull it all together.

My youngest has already started asking about Legos for Christmas. More Legos to add to his impossibly large collection. Apparently you can never have too many Legos!

We'll have: 5 yo boy, 3 yo boy, 2 yo girl, and 6 mo boy.

I'm thinking of getting plasma cars for the three oldest. They'd each get two more gifts under the tree. Possibly a LeapPad 2 for the 3 yo. Most likely a video game for the 5 yo. Maybe a small dollhouse for the girl.

I'm hoping to get it all done before Advent this year.

Edited by *Michelle*

I LOVE Ticket to Ride! If you get it, I advise you get the expansion pack. The cards that come with the game are teeny-tiny. The expansion pack cards are normal-sized.

We're trying to get away from buying a ton of toys for the holidays this year. My mom goes NUTS Christmas shopping, and has so much joy doing it that I don't want to tell her not to. Instead, we're giving her the "fun list" and focusing on other things. I'll probably get them one big toy each, and I did pre-order the new Furbies for them. Mostly we'll get them movies, gift certificates to a couple places, a card-thingy for their Nooks so they can put music and movies on them, movie passes, etc. We might do a couple of games as well. I have a brand-new Apples to Apples game I bought at a consignment store a couple years ago for $5. I'm sure they're old enough for it now.

I am with you! I'm trying to get a jump on Christmas this year. Last year I really let it go and it was stressful and sucked the joy out of it for me.

I haven't gotten too far. Zulily has been helpful : Star Wars origami for my 10yob, Learning Calendar Gross Edition for various nephews and friend's boys, and I sewed 2 stockings out of scraps to put gift cards in.

I have lots more to do!

Michele

I'm starting too! We do the "want, need, wear read" deal for gifts. http://simplekids.net/gift-giving-philosophy/ Then "Santa" does stockings. We don't really do Santa, but I feel the need to play with it a little bit.

These are my ideas so far:

DS (will be 6)

Want: Lego set of some sort

Need: ? Not sure yet

Wear: new pajamas

Read: we are cheating a little here and getting him the basic kindle

DD (will be 2.5)

Want: Doll bed and bedding that I will sew

Need: jr chair from ikea (for our dining room table)

Wear: I'll knit her a hat and mittens

Read:need recs for cute books for 2-3 year olds

DS (will be 2.5)

Want: ?

Need: jr chair from ikea for dining table

Wear: knitting a sweater now

Read: also need recs for him. We have SO many books. :lol:

Stockings I'll do crayons, and I'm trying to fit new Hanna Andersson slippers into the budget. :D

Funny you should post this! I am just compiling my kids' Christmas list right now. This is what we have so far: (work in progress)

Ds19 & ddil 18

Visa gift card

Dd11

One Direction CD

One Direction movie "The Only Way is Up"

A "big" shopping spree

Ds9

Lego set

Nintendo 3DS & games

X Box games

Dd4

Monster Toss

*Still need more ideas for her*

Edited by freeindeed

I'm going to be trying my hand at making homemade soap and lip balms and hard lotions for extended family members. Then I got a book from the library called Fa La La La Felt and I had the kids pick one ornament each. Each family will get one of each ornaments.

Dh's siblings are young (1-14) so they'll be getting stuff for the younger crowd. I was thinking of making the sisters some owl purses, the camping set from this book for the toddler and Digby, and I'm not sure what to do for the 5 and 7 year old boys. Pigby will be getting a Perplexus and some Legos and Digby will be getting some Legos and who knows what else. I'll be making some owl hats for various children. Chuck will get the purse set from the felt book.

I have started my list of what I'd like to get the kids. As of today the oldest usually cash and candy he likes, starbucks gift card. Middle ds kindle, youngest lap top. He needs more room on his desk so the dinosaur size monitor has to go. I am also planning on electric blankets for the oldest 3. Baby girl....I did see a My Generation horse to go with her AG doll and I am watching for the My Generation sleeping bags from target for her AG doll also, Sculpey clay, with idea book and basic tools.

DS13 will probably get a Green Screen Kit, some sort of book or disc on Stop Motion Animation, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Third Wheel and The Mark of Athena. For family gifts, I think I'm going to purchase Amazon Prime and a few family movies that we can watch together.

Of course, DS is trying to get us to forgo Christmas gifts altogether and just plan a trip to Clearwater, Florida in the Spring. He wants to go to the Phillies Spring Training games and to the Clearwater Marine Aquarium to see Winter the Dolphin. We've been talking about doing this trip for awhile so we'll see. I can't imagine it would mean nixing Christmas though. :tongue_smilie:

I've started spinning my wheels on this, but have no concrete plans yet!!

For DS, some ideas include the Alternative Energy Snap Circuits Kit, the new Wimpy Kid book and movie that are coming out, and a boxed set of Basher books that he doesn't have yet.

Also toying with a bigger gift... he'd like an ipod touch, mostly just for the apps though, he doesn't do a lot of music yet. The other big gift idea is a Nintendo DS XL - his original DS is about ready to bite the dust.

He will also ask for about fifty different video games, LOL, but we tell him those go on the grandparents' lists. :D

For DS, some ideas include the Alternative Energy Snap Circuits Kit, the new Wimpy Kid book and movie that are coming out, and a boxed set of Basher books that he doesn't have yet.

If you are signed up with Scholastic Book Clubs as a homeschool educator, they are doing a really good deal on the newest Wimpy kid book. It's only $8.49 with free delivery and you also get a free sneak-peek book featuring never-before-seen comics from book #7.

They also have a lot of $1 books - they make great stocking stuffers :D

If you are signed up with Scholastic Book Clubs as a homeschool educator, they are doing a really good deal on the newest Wimpy kid book. It's only $8.49 with free delivery and you also get a free sneak-peek book featuring never-before-seen comics from book #7.

They also have a lot of $1 books - they make great stocking stuffers :D

How do I Sign up? My kids both want this book-i dont know how they are going to share it!

Oy. I think it's great to get started this early. But I'm not ready.

Fall is kinda hard for me, especially through mid-October. We have three October birthdays. I haven't even figured out my kid's birthday present yet. Yikes. Do snowboots qualify?

I think for my girls (who will be young 6s at Xmas), Legos will be part of the mix. Maybe some DS games (they already have DSs). Some easy bling crafts and maybe some needlecrafts. I also have my eye on some portable desks.

But, shoot, they already have everything. Spoiled little brats.

Oh, and my other kid's birthday is 2 weeks after Christmas. :glare:

We'll have: 5 yo boy, 3 yo boy, 2 yo girl, and 6 mo boy.

I'm thinking of getting plasma cars for the three oldest. They'd each get two more gifts under the tree. Possibly a LeapPad 2 for the 3 yo. Most likely a video game for the 5 yo. Maybe a small dollhouse for the girl.

I'm hoping to get it all done before Advent this year.

We love our Plasma car! The boys ride it everyday and we all took turns on it when they first got it. I have a Disney XBox game that was only $4 at Best Buy for DS6. That's the only gift I've purchased for the boys. For my nieces/nephews, I "volunteered" at the Scholastic Warehouse sale (they give you $10/hour that you volunteer) and bought books for Christmas.

How do I Sign up? My kids both want this book-i dont know how they are going to share it!

Try this: http://clubs.scholastic.com/rewards/pdfs/TAT_coupon.pdf

You'll want to call the 1-800 number listed on the flyer - home educators can't fully sign up online {or at least they used to not be able to}. If you do the referral bit you'll also get 10 free books for your "classroom" and 250 bonus points which you can use to buy more books. For the referral info to get the bonus - pm me

:D Enjoy!

Edited by frugalmama
edited to remove personal info

I have a few things tucked away already, but I have to get serious now. I want to get DS a castle for his Schleich knights. The Melissa and Doug castle looks really good, but I am open to suggestions. DD will probably get a lot of AG doll clothes, craft books, etc. I'll get some DS and Wii games for them to share, and probably some dvds. We always do lots of books, and that is something that I already have picked out. I also have some clothes (the matching doll and girl outfits Kmart sells for DD, Marvel Avengers stuff for DS). They have a bunch of stuff marked in the MindWare catalog, so probably a few items from that for them to share.

Funny, I started my list today too! :tongue_smilie:

I'm starting too! We do the "want, need, wear read" deal for gifts. http://simplekids.net/gift-giving-philosophy/ Then "Santa" does stockings. We don't really do Santa, but I feel the need to play with it a little

This is us, but we do "something to play with" instead of wear since their "need" is always new Hanna Andersson Christmas pajamas.

We also do stockings on St. Nicholas Day that I fill with food I never otherwise buy: cereal bars, juice boxes, chocolate bars...

I have a running list of books for each of them and their "play with" will be a puzzle or board game, as is age appropriate.

Their "wants" are my only undecideds. Right now, I'm thinking a new iPod Nano for the oldest since he doesn't play with toys, but is obsessed with audio books. Or maybe a telescope since we're studying astronomy this year.

I'm planning a Fagus truck each for the other two to add to our collection. Definitely for the two-year old, but maybe something else for my middle son. We'll see what inspiration strikes!

I'm really thinking this year to forego physical gifts all together. :001_huh:We went to LegoLand a year ago and they had such a great time, maybe we could just go there instead...

I'll ask the grandparents for Lego sets for dd's 4 & 7, to get them excited for the trip. For dd3, who will be 2, I'm not sure...maybe a sand/water table? :confused:

For little things/stocking stuffers I'll definitely be getting dd1(7) books, she is a new reader and has been diligently reading aloud daily. I saw some Breyer horse first chapter books I think she will enjoy.

Dd2(4) will be getting play doh, it's her favorite lol.

And probably a lollipop for dd3(2)...:D

The only thing I would love to do is get my dd1 a kindle. She has worked SO very hard at VT and reading, I'd love to do that for her. But that is a big gift and I'm not sure we can do that.

As much as I'm dreading it, I have already managed to put away gifts for our kids and am starting to work on gifts for the extended family now. I put aside a little bit of money for Christmas every month starting in January.

Thus far I have

for ds8 - an Erector set with 6volt motor (he was complaining that 3 volt was too small), a pocket microscope and a Wii game.

for dd - a used laptop (new was WAY outside the price range) and some art supplies.

for ds5 - Scientific Explorer's Disgusting Science kit, a hot wheel track and a bunch of books.

We are putting our house on the market in February so the thought of buying birthday and Christmas gifts and then packing them all up makes me twitchy. Since we are building a new house, I'm thinking of getting the kids Home Depot gift cards so they can pick out their own paint ( we are starting with white, everywhere) and light fixtures. Useful stuff? Of course they will get their usual books and jammies and stocking goodies.

I have a few things tucked away already, but I have to get serious now. I want to get DS a castle for his Schleich knights. The Melissa and Doug castle looks really good, but I am open to suggestions. DD will probably get a lot of AG doll clothes, craft books, etc. I'll get some DS and Wii games for them to share, and probably some dvds. We always do lots of books, and that is something that I already have picked out. I also have some clothes (the matching doll and girl outfits Kmart sells for DD, Marvel Avengers stuff for DS). They have a bunch of stuff marked in the MindWare catalog, so probably a few items from that for them to share.

We got the M&D castle a couple of years ago and it still looks brand new despite lots of use.

Never too early to start planning!

We do one main gift and then a few other practical gifts such as pajamas. We also do stockings, but mostly fill those with small things.

I have boys. The younger three would probably be happy with more legos. I have NO idea about my eldest.

Guess I should begin thinking and planning. :D

Ha-I just started to think today too!

Mainly because I saw a nice Brookstone laptop desk in a store----and dd12 just got a laptop, so that would be nice for her.

Ds9 will prbly mostly be Legos-he has already started his Lego list by poring over the catalog constantly. Oh, and a pocket knife (he is almost 10, and his ds got one at that age-my dc are both very responsible, careful, and safety conscious-they know it is a serious privilege to own one. It is a big rite of passage in our family.)

I have to start thinking! Dd especially is at a hard age.

Stockings get harder every year too, as they get older.

They both got digital cameras last year, and let me tell you-THAT is the gift to give, if you can do it-they enjoyed them so much all year.

Here are some more ideas that have been hits around here:

11 yr old girl-microscope, mugs or pins from Cafe Press with slogans about your dd's obsession on it (you can get ones for gymnasts, dancers, etc.), those scarfs they dangle around their necks, Kindle (not Fire-just the one for reading),

8 yr old boy-GeoPuzzle. sorry-cant think of more-it was mostly Lego

both kids love those C-shaped neck pillows for long car rides (that was a surprise hit!)

both: backgammon

Well, the one thing DD has said she wants for Christmas is "lots of legos"

:glare: I hate stepping on legos. Just sayin'. :lol:

Anyyyyyyyyyways. She'll be getting a couple lego sets (she really enjoys the city sets, I'm thinking of getting the big motorized train set, a helicopter, and 2 of the smaller sets), some books of course, possibly a digital piano and piano lessons (she was supposed to get it for her birthday last year, but we ended up going with violin instead. She's still doing the violin lessons, but wants to add piano), a tubing trip to Western MD, some babydoll stuff, some hot wheels- as if she needs more hot wheels, ..

and three kits that I am putting together for her. One is an arts and crafts kit (self explanatory!) One is a tinker kit (full of electronics and stuff she can take apart, plus tools, goggles, etc.), and the third is a doctor's kit (with a bunch of first aid gear, stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, otoscope, etc.).

I'm sticking with tried and trues this year. The only "new" things on the list will be the stuff to take apart, but I think she'll love it, and the doctor stuff, but she's always pretending to be a doctor. Everything else is just more of what she already has and loves.

OH! And I should mention that I do all my shopping before Christmas, and then split everything up between Christmas and her birthday in January, so this stuff will be for two holidays. :tongue_smilie:

Is getting one for each kid overkill or will they have more fun as a Plasma Car gang?

I think it would depend on on where you will be using them. We keep ours indoors, so one is sufficient. If we had a basement/larger area to use it indoors (or used them outdoors), I could see getting two. The daycare I worked in had them and they were used in the gym. We (teachers included) had a great time racing around the gym.

I'm starting to collect X-mas gifts too. My extended family does stockings so I need to find lots of "little" things before December. I am indecisive, so it really does take me many months to pull it all together.

I havent started for my kiddoes yet but have started with extended family members. Some I do stockings for. I picked up a couple packets of a new dry soup mix the other day. I am going to try them and if they are good I will get a few more to add to stockings.

We do Want, Wear, Read, Need. Because with me at home, we need to be very budget oriented, I am starting to plan a little. We are considering a joint "want" gift of a Xbox 360 with Kinnect if we can snag a deal. Because that is pretty big, we are thinking small on everything else. Our ideas so far are:

9yo son:

Wear- a t-shirt from the threadless.com $9.99 sale

Read- won't be hard to find something he likes since he is a big reader. Maybe Treasure Island or Around the World in 80 Days.

Need- wallet or sheet music

Just 2 days shy of 4yo on Christmas day son:

Wear- same as big bro

Read- something

Need- either pjs or a coat (his will fit this fall but only thus.)

Little guy will get 1-2 other gifts on his birthday, which falls in the 12 days of Christmas.

Edited by kijipt

With the return from Hawaii last week, the Disney trip in 3 weeks, and dd's wedding next month (plus showers in between), I can't even believe Christmas is on my brain at all, but it has been.

Our family is growing! I have more people on my list. So far though, this is what I'm planning:

The newlyweds are headed to WDW in early December. I'm buying them Very Merry Christmas Party tix as an early Christmas gift, then will make stockings and get them each something smaller to open Christmas Day, or get them one nicer joint gift.

Dd2 will have just had a baby. I will probably give her a gift card to buy some new clothes as well as one for Victoria's Secret so she can hit the semi-annual sale. She'll get a stocking with some useful goodies.

Dsil - I'm thinking of buying him Apple TV, and probably a couple of smaller things for a stocking.

Dd3 - clothes, shoes, makeup, perfume, and a stocking

Dd3's bf - getting him a bamboo velour pillowcase made to match a blanket she bought him, and maybe a shirt or something

Ds - clothes, gas card, cologne, some sort of electronic gadget, and a stocking

Dgs - ball pit with balls, books galore, small power wheel, stocking with cars and other small toys

Dgd (due in December) - few baby toys and clothes

Dss - usually a gift card or some cash

Dsgs - all kinds of dino stuff, stocking

Dsgd - couple small toys and some clothes, stocking

Extended family - not sure yet. We may drop some folks from our list now that our family has grown bigger. We will definitely buy for my mom, and at least small things for a few nieces/nephews.

I've already finished my shopping :tongue_smilie:

Little boy is getting Duplo, a wooden garage for his matchbox cars and a wheelbarrow

Bigger boy is getting basketball hoop and skateboard and Playmobile

DD wants little Petshop stuff and Lalaloopsy dolls

I've already finished my shopping :tongue_smilie:

Little boy is getting Duplo, a wooden garage for his matchbox cars and a wheelbarrow

Bigger boy is getting basketball hoop and skateboard and Playmobile

DD wants little Petshop stuff and Lalaloopsy dolls

Wow! You are on top of things. this is the earliest I've started, I think. :lol:

We do Want, Wear, Read, Need. Because with me at home, we need to be very budget oriented, I am starting to plan a little. We are considering a joint "want" gift of a Xbox 360 with Kinnect if we can snag a deal.

You probably already know this, but start stalking Slickdeals.net. They'll be on the lookout, especially as we get closer to Black Friday.

You probably already know this, but start stalking Slickdeals.net. They'll be on the lookout, especially as we get closer to Black Friday.

Thanks for the tip. I set a little money aside from selling stuff we were purging, and my husband always works Thanksgiving which gives him 2.5x his regular wage so that is basically our holiday money for the year. I will be hoping for a good cyber Monday or online Black Friday deal. I am not going out to a store if I can possibly help it.

Edited by kijipt

I need to start thinking about this, too. We are going to do the want, read, wear, need thing this year. We've got to figure some system out with so many kids and 3 of their birthdays are within a month of Christmas. :001_huh:

So far,

DD10

Want- something from AG

Need- winter coat

Wear- ??

Read- ??

DS7

Want- Star Wars 3 video game

Need- ??

Wear- ??

Read- ??

DS5

Want- Spiderman toy

Need- ??

Wear- ??

Read- ??

DS4

Want- possibly a Plasma car

Need- ??

Wear- ??

Read- Usborne lift the flap book- I already have this.

DS3

Want- Plasma car or those jump-on animal things from Timberdoodle

Need- ??

Wear- ??

Read- Usborne lift the flap book- I already have this.

DS1

Want- ??

Need- possibly a new high chair?

Wear- ??

Read- picture book of some sort.

This is what I always do. I've already bought a trumpet stand & some Chop Saver for ds and have 2 presents for me (yes, I shop for myself--dh always plans to, but his quiet season starts after Christmas.) I already know what I'm getting my dad (on pre-order from Amazon--whoops, that's the sequel, so I'd better order it), my mil & sil (dh will buy for them at the last minute, but I buy most of it--usually several smaller items) & have no clue what to get my dds yet.

What's unusual is that I got one roll of gift wrap down from the attic. Most years I wrap Christmas eve for us.

I'm going to be trying my hand at making homemade soap and lip balms and hard lotions for extended family members. Then I got a book from the library called Fa La La La Felt and I had the kids pick one ornament each. Each family will get one of each ornaments.

Dh's siblings are young (1-14) so they'll be getting stuff for the younger crowd. I was thinking of making the sisters some owl purses, the camping set from this book for the toddler and Digby, and I'm not sure what to do for the 5 and 7 year old boys. Pigby will be getting a Perplexus and some Legos and Digby will be getting some Legos and who knows what else. I'll be making some owl hats for various children. Chuck will get the purse set from the felt book.

If you find items you like, locate them on Amazon and then keep watch. During slower times, and almost always mid-week, you will find the prices are lower. Buy when it hits a price you will pay. Last summer, I saved tons of money on textbooks by buying in late June. This works for Christmas stuff too, because you have several months to watch when the prices drop. They are almost always higher on weekends, too.

Local teachers and leaders, etc.... homemade fudge in a cute Christmas glad lock container.

DH's extended family: donation to a scholarship fund set up in his dad's honor

My parents: No idea, but it will be somewhat small.

My kids: no idea yet, but probably Xbox games. I told them it will be light this year.

DH and I don't exchange gifts, but if I find a deal......

That will most likely be it this year. I need an easy and light year.

I wish I knew. I am all over the place this year - so NOT like me. But I have started thinking...

Baby Doll

Art supplies including a pair of scissors just like mine. Maybe then I can find mine.

Books. He's finally starting to pick books up on his own to read. Yea!

Most likely some more legos. I have a love/hate relationship with them.

I also make the kids something every year, but at the moment have no idea what that will be.

Map games and puzzle.

Little Man

Maybe some more dress up stuff. A new cape or two would be a big hit and they're easy to make.

An ABC picture book (scrapbook) that I have to find time to put together.

A coffee pot or pitcher for the play kitchen.

He'll get new books too. Santa encourages reading in all forms around here.

Bug

I have no idea.