Menu

Can you help me think through the Algebra choices?

My oldest used MUS through the fractions level. Then TT 7 and Pre-Algebra. He is 15 and technically a sophomore. He is a high functioning Aspie and quite intelligent. He just has a hard time keeping up with his work.

Our desktop has been running slowly. My concern is that it is going to die this year. I don't really have the money to replace it. A new computer is pretty low on my list of things I need to purchase. I am thinking of switching to MUS or Saxon. Although, LOF really caught my eye.

He hates Math. I am not sure if he learned anything from TT.

I solo parent and I never have any extra time. I loathe having to correct algebra.

Thoughts people.

And, thank you because my brain has been so mushy and I ask these questions and you all come to my rescue and you all make me feel bunches and bunches better:grouphug:

Edited by Hausunterricht

I don't have as much experience as others on this board, so I hope you get more responses.

I'm wondering if Saxon would really be a good fit for your Ds. It's definitely a solid math curriculum, but it can really drive some people crazy, and I don't think it would be my first choice for a Dc who hates math.

I don't really know anything about MUS, though I know others with math-phobic kids have liked it.

Life of Fred, there seems to be an ongoing debate about whether it is enough to be considered a full algebra program. MY Ds love LOF, but I ended up choosing something else for Algebra b/c I did have doubts (sorry Fred and co.). Have you read the reviews about any of this curriculum posted here? If not, I'd start reading and saving helpful info from threads where posters are discussing the 3 you mentioned. Then I'd look at the samples again and think about how your Ds would view them.

My oldest used MUS through the fractions level. Then TT 7 and Pre-Algebra. He is 15 and technically a sophomore. He is a high functioning Aspie and quite intelligent. He just has a hard time keeping up with his work.

Our desktop has been running slowly. My concern is that it is going to die this year. I don't really have the money to replace it. A new computer is pretty low on my list of things I need to purchase. I am thinking of switching to MUS or Saxon. Although, LOF really caught my eye.

He hates Math. I am not sure if he learned anything from TT.

I solo parent and I never have any extra time. I loathe having to correct algebra.

Thoughts people.

And, thank you because my brain has been so mushy and I ask this questions and you all come to my rescue and you all make me feel bunches and bunches better:grouphug:

Older DS is also Aspie. He hated doing math (although he enjoyed math concepts) until he picked up Saxon Alg 1/2. He finished that in a couple of months and then completed Saxon Alg 1 by the end of the same school year. In grade 9 he started AoPS Geometry. At the same time younger son started AoPS Alg 1. My older son enjoyed AoPS geometry and started looking through their Alg book as well. He said he wished he had done AoPS Alg instead of Saxon. Also, I ended up getting AoPS pre Alg for younger DS because the intro to Slg text was too challenging. Younger son was able to use the intro book to get caught up and still work through most of Alg 1 in one year. My kids are very slow on the computation but they like the logic, problem solving aspects of math.

Neither kid liked LoF when we tried Fractions a while ago. My kids like very straight forward, low distraction texts. I had always thought this was an Aspue trait, but not sure.

AoPS has videos for their prealgebra and much of their Alg 1. Both kids also used khan academy extensively.

Wishing you all the best in finding a good fit! I wouldn't avoid programs like AoPS just because your son dislikes math now. The concept development is unlike any other program I have seen. I do think the student has to be willing to work for it though. My kids both want to go into scientific or technical fields. They had to aggressively work through some of their math problems to succeed in math.

By the way, younger son did TT 7 a while back and it also seemed that he learned very little.

My older boy is pdd-nos / bipolar / tourettes / processing disorder . . so a pretty strange kid

For us, LOF is not useable as a main curriculum, because it seems to 'random' for him . . . "What does that have to do with math?!" He has a lot of math anxiety and 'hates' math, but making it in to a story didnt help him at all.

For us I think Saxon MIGHT have worked, if i let him do every 4th problem. He is very, very slow to do problems and has a short attention span, so I try to let him do every other problem most of the time - every one if he's not getting it, every 4th if he already knew this topic.

We are using Singapore upper level stuff (we have to switch series because the one I chose was discontinued). It works well for him because its clear and orderly BUT . . .sometimes the instruction is not quite enough and I do have to 'teach' him. But this is part of why it works for him - having me talking him through it calms down his math anxiety.

Singapore has all the answers to the textbook problems in the back of the book (at least, our book does). He does the problem and checks it himself, then tries again to figure it out, and if he cant get the right answer, then he comes to me. So i dont actually grade it . ..

AoPS would probably be good if your child is curious, likes puzzles, likes figuring things out - but not if he expects a very structured, "here is how to do a problem, now you do some, here is how to do the more complicated variation, now you do some" kind of instruction.

I really like Lial's Algebra textbook. I think it has very good examples and the lessons are very well laid out, even referring you to which example the section of problems is like. You could always have him correct his own lessons and you just correct the chapter review and grade his tests. I used the 8th edition. I didn't use the video tutors because I have a math degree, but they are here.

The 8th edition student book's ISBN is 0321279212

The Student's Solutions Manual's ISBN is 0321285808 (odd answers for exercises, all answers for chapter reviews and chapter tests)

I almost always suggest Foerster's Algebra 1. It's a great (almost) self-teaching test. If you think your computer might last through the year, the Math without Borders has a program that teaches each lesson. (I think it was about $65.00)

Anyway, the student book can be found inexpensively, and the solution manual can be purchased directly from Pearson for under $50.00 (or at least it could be a couple of years ago. You will have to fill out a form for them stating that you are a homeschooling parent.)

HTH

Did he like MUS in the past? If so, I'd try that first. He might have better retention with MUS than with TT. I would not worry about it not being rigorous enough yet, especially since he claims he "hates" math and has a hard time keeping up with his work. If you buy MUS, he will have the ability to contact them when he runs into trouble. LOF Algebra might be a good supplement to MUS if he has time.

Also, with the comment you made about issues with keeping up with his work, that sounds like an accountability issue. It is very hard for homeschool teens to stay on top of work w/o a parent closely monitoring them--JMO.

If you "solo parent" and "loathe" even correcting Algebra, does that mean you also aren't able to help teach it to him if he needs help? I don't think you can hand MOST children an AoPS book or other textbook designed for classroom use and expect them to be able to do it all on their own. IMO something like MUS is more manageable. Something that gets done successfully is better than something that doesn't get done at all. Something that leaves your son feeling encouraged is better than something that leaves him feeling more discouraged. Even with MUS or any algebra program, he might need some direct instruction from a tutor if you aren't able to give him that.

Best wishes!:grouphug:

Someone on another LOF thread (sorry I can't link) just posted that some libraries have LOF. I would try there. If they have them start with fractions--it can't hurt.

My dc's did the first books really fast. A few days of intense work -- I was with my mom who was ill and they were home with " work at home" dh. They were very quiet and finished 4 books in 2 weeks.:lol: Nothing else was done. I didn't get to see the action. I just came home to discover a large portion of my rainbow resource box (which arrived after I left) was done. I do want to add these were meant to be review--they had done the topics before. If you can get them for free....wow!

The sequence in the algebra books is different when compared to typical. This causes the confusion on if it is a complete course I think. Both algebra courses need to be done. When both are complete the student has completed both algebra 1 and 2. Switching after the first one means starting fresh with algebra 1 usually.

I also want to add that the author says he is willing to answer questions -- even publishes his phone number. The one time I needed to e mail him he responded within a couple of hours.

I really like Lial's Algebra textbook. I think it has very good examples and the lessons are very well laid out, even referring you to which example the section of problems is like. You could always have him correct his own lessons and you just correct the chapter review and grade his tests. I used the 8th edition. I didn't use the video tutors because I have a math degree, but they are here.

The 8th edition student book's ISBN is 0321279212

The Student's Solutions Manual's ISBN is 0321285808 (odd answers for exercises, all answers for chapter reviews and chapter tests)

We are Lial's lovers here too. I hesitated to recommend it b/c I wasn't sure how it would work with OP's son considering he is an Aspie and I have no experience with what sorts of difficulties that might pose. I thought she might have a good reason for listing specific math choices.

OP, since you can get Lial's cheap, if you can afford to, you might want to order it just to take a look at it. I was highly doubtful that such an inexpensive option would work, but I followed Jann's recs and Ds is very happy with Lial's.

if you do order Lial's, and you are ordering used from amazon or half.com, make sure the seller states that there is no writing in the book. Students will often use it like a workbook and have answers and solutions written in the margin.

Do check to see if your library carries LOF for you to borrow and try. There is a companion book with extra daily lessons, and 2nd companion book with hundreds more problems in it if your DS is one that needs the repetition of drills.

My DS14 has ADD and he loves it. It's the only math curriculum he's ever done willingly. We started in April and even counting some time off over the summer, he's on track to finish the book by the end of September.

FWIW, an algebra/geometry teacher friend reviewed my texts and said the material covered was enough for a strong Algebra course.

I solo parent because my dh moved to another state for work. I loathe to check math because I have 5 children, Two with special needs, two of whom are a toddler and a baby. I am just very tired at the end of the day.

Accountability may be an issue. I have all my balls in the air and am juggling the best I can. We have spent our years working on his developmental issues and social skills. I am actually quite happy with where he is academically.

Ok I have been hunting around. Any thoughts on using CK12 and Math Mammoth Algebra worksheets? I haven't seen a lot of reviews on either of these. But, they could get him started on Algebra for pretty inexpensive. If it isn't working I can get something new around tax time.

Money is just so tight for us with supporting two households. I don't want to skimp on education. But, I think these two choices actually look good and could work.

If money is really tight, I'd look into an older edition of something like Lial's.

http://www.amazon.com/Introductory-Algebra-Edition-Margaret-Lial/dp/0321064585/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1346765209&sr=8-24&keywords=lial%27s+beginning+algebra

You could get one of these used for under a dollar plus four bucks shipping. The odd answers should be in the back, you could cut them out if you don't want them available, and use them as a basic guide to your answer key to help with grading.

Both of my Aspies loved Kinetic Books. It is done through an online subscription, so it doesn't matter if you have to switch computers during the course. They are both very strong in math though.

My youngest is NOT strong in math. KB would be way too much for her and she won't have anything to do with a math program that is on the computer anyway. We are almost all the way through MUS Algebra and I plan to follow that up with MUS Geometry and Key to Algebra together over the next two years. Key to Algebra is a deeper course than MUS Algebra I and goes all the way to the quadratic formula, which MUS doesn't cover until Algebra II.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

My HFA guy loves MUS. If yours liked MUS at lower levels, I'd go back to it. Mine also loves LOF. We use it to supplement. We do MUS during the school year and when he finishes, he takes a week off, then does the same LOF level working through the summer until it is finished. It has been a great combination here!

For my ds Steve's personality is a great fit. So is the gentle step-by-step approach working until each thing is mastered.

LOF changes things up. It makes him think a lot more and apply what he has learned in MUS. There isn't enough instruction in Fred for him to do it alone, he just isn't that mathy. However, he loves the story and it helps motivate him to keep going. Doing math year-round keeps him from forgetting it all over the summer which is a bigger deal with him than with my NT child.

Ok I have been hunting around. Any thoughts on using CK12 and Math Mammoth Algebra worksheets? I haven't seen a lot of reviews on either of these. But, they could get him started on Algebra for pretty inexpensive. If it isn't working I can get something new around tax time.

I think that sounds like a great start. Maybe add in some Khan academy while you have computer access.

Younger DS started Lials and it was not a good fit. He would often ask why they chose to do a process a certain way when it could be done such and such way (a way that made more sense to him). He thought they over complicated matters.

Math Relief - excellent instruction, 20 minute dvd lessons, word problems delayed until student completely understands the language of algebra, complete solutions to every problem, no hiccups in the order concepts are presented. The instructor, Mr. Firebaugh, has been selling MR for many years, and he rarely gets calls with questions. There is a reason for this; i.e. clear, logical presentation and progression of concepts.

I almost always suggest Foerster's Algebra 1. It's a great (almost) self-teaching test. If you think your computer might last through the year, the Math without Borders has a program that teaches each lesson. (I think it was about $65.00)

Anyway, the student book can be found inexpensively, and the solution manual can be purchased directly from Pearson for under $50.00 (or at least it could be a couple of years ago. You will have to fill out a form for them stating that you are a homeschooling parent.)

HTH

:iagree:

My daughter is using Foerster's and likes it. She's very straight ahead and practical in her approach and it suits that. She doesn't really care about "fun" programs or those that have creative ways of having a child understand the topic. For her, the fun comes after she understands a topic (and she just wants it clearly explained, that's it. Singapore DM was a flop because of the leaps it demanded) and just gets to work the equations and such. Clear black and white, no nonsense, no sidebars or unneeded graphics, very clear explanations.

It's not a really creative or "fun" program. It's good old-fashioned math that's very like some of the other math texts my daughter likes - ones from the 1900's to the 1940's.

If your son sounds anything like my daughter it should be a good fit.

Edited by WishboneDawn

The problem with worksheets is this: Are you going to be sure you're moving in a good order and not just randomly? Are you capable of teaching him anything he needs "on the fly" so to speak?

I have a non-math girl. We did Life of Fred with the Companion Guide. We also suspected it wasn't enough math so she worked on another Algebra I program that she was previously failing. After using LOF FIRST, she could then do the Alg. I program and pull a high A. It might not seem like a big deal for a mom with a math kid, but for THIS child, we loved LoF Algebra. (We did NOT like Geometry, btw.) My second, a very math literate 8th grader, looked at LoF and said, "This isn't real math." :D Well, no, he wanted numbers, numbers, numbers. My first was grateful for WORDS. ;) It made math far less intimidating.

Math Relief - excellent instruction, 20 minute dvd lessons, word problems delayed until student completely understands the language of algebra, complete solutions to every problem, no hiccups in the order concepts are presented. The instructor, Mr. Firebaugh, has been selling MR for many years, and he rarely gets calls with questions. There is a reason for this; i.e. clear, logical presentation and progression of concepts.

:iagree: