Menu

Going to IKEA for the first time, what should I not miss?

expect to take a LONG LONG LONG LONG time. I hate how it is like a maze, it makes me claustrophobic. But..once you get the hang of it it is pretty awesome. I like the organizational stuff downstairs, the pillows, the kids stuff (plastic bowls/plates/etc), and as for food I like the potato/broccoli things, not sure what they are called.

Meatballs!:001_smile:

:iagree: Don't pass them up.

As far as shopping, just wander around. Spend time looking at the room set-ups. I always get inspiration from them if nothing else. Give yourself plenty of time. We look at it as an outing more than shopping. Even ds (15 tomorrow :eek:) enjoys it.

1. Water down the cranberry juice they sell you in the lunchroom. Otherwise it's too sweet.

2. Downstairs in the food section, get

a packet of the dark crispbread and a tube of the salmon paste (looks like a tube of toothpaste but has a salmon on it).

Put a bit of the salmon paste on a crispbread. Eat all the way home.

What I love at Ikea:

- wooden hangers (make the closet look so nice)

- curtains

- sheets

- storage boxes, baskets

- bookshelves

- magnetboard that goes on the wall

- kids' easel and roll of paper

- wooden bowls

- furniture in general

- wall hooks

Have fun!

Oh, the joy of going to IKEA for the first time. I wish I could experience it again. I ♥ IKEA. I ♥ just about everything about IKEA. I don't eat beef, but everyone seems to love their meatballs, so I'd say go for those. The breiselberren (some sort of red berry chutney) they serve with the meatballs is delicious! The broccoli/potato cake things are good too. They also have really good desserts. We don't just go for the food though. Okay, Indy goes for the food.

My favorite thing is the display rooms/apartment. I like to see how they use the various pieces in ways that I might not have thought to. Since many European apartments are miniscule, some as small as 35sqm (about 375sgft) I'm always fascinated by the way they use space.

Indy and I went to our IKEA on Fri and they were celebrating the new catalog coming out that day. When Germans celebrate, it always includes alcohol. Yay! They were handing out (free!) full size champagne flutes of Sekt (sparking wine) or orange juice (or a mixture of each) and had a huge buffet of all the yummy Swedish cookies they sell in the market. Indy's eyes got HUGE when he saw all the cookies (the super thin crispy ones and the ones with the jelly in the middle are my favs). I only let Indy have 2 though since we were headed upstairs to eat. There were some people who had clearly had more than one or two glasses of Sekt. They were really celebrating the catalog. :D

Have loads of fun!

:drool5:CINNAMON ROLLS:drool5:

Get a pack or 2 of the 6 cinnamon buns on your way out down stairs at the snack bar (with ice cream, hot dogs, pizza?) and have them for breakfast tomorrow.

*Don't forget to sign up for the family card (free). You get discounts on certain items each month. Look for a Kiosk when you walk in or online before you go.

White hand towels (I use these as my dish towels and always need them)

clear plastic (?) tumbler-type glasses- cheap cheap cheap

little plastic bowls (and plates, cups, tableware-if you still have littles that age)

stools (great little kids stools for 4$)

laundry drying racks (all sizes)

*FLYT*- 5 pack of (white cardboard) magazine boxes to sit on your new Billies. 2$ a pack

When my mil visits, she gets candles. They smell really nice.

We love the meatballs, like most people.

I love the kids' toy section. They have great play dishes made out of real china, and terrific stuffed animals. They also have a very nice, fabric farm set for a reasonable price. The Montessori-inspired preschool teacher in me LOVES that section.

Also, think of the unusual--you can use lots of their kitchen stuff in other areas of your home, for storage of art supplies, for example.

Dd likes the swing chair they sell--very cute.

The grater they sell (metal oval with an oval bowl attached) is one of my favorite things. I need to go by and get another one!

We made it out with five minutes to spare! We ate there, had the meatballs, vegetable medallions, and lindenberry juice, among other things. And we made it out with only the billy bookcases we went for. We'll definitely be back soon!

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

BTW, this is me when I walk in the door: :drool:

And this is me while I'm there: Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee! :willy_nilly:

BTW, what did your dh think? IKEA is the true test of a marriage. If you can survive IKEA together without having a knock down, drag out, you can survive anything.

We love these chairs for kids. So comfortable!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10116552/

I even sit in them. :lol:

poang-childrens-armchair__55806_PE161049_S4.jpg

We also have two PAX systems -- one for scrapbooking and one for our clothes. The little white lamps in the room and the little white flower pots with greenery are also from IKEA. We bought fabric which never had an even edge on it so I couldn't make curtains like I wanted to, but we did use it to make the lamp shade pictured on my blog link.

Scrapbooking

http://ournestof3.blogspot.com/2011/03/my-new-stamping-storage.html

Bedroom:

http://ournestof3.blogspot.com/2011/02/sharing-final-room-photos.html

We also love these trays which we have two of but could use more:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/06410406/

klack-tray__15449_PE082139_S4.jpg

Oh, and we got cheap wineglasses there that work great.

Dd and I went to our nearby IKEA last Thursday to get her a desk. She found the perfect one and got a set of drawers to fit under it as well as a chair. We 'had' to get the meatballs (for dinner that night), as well as a packet of gravy and a jar of lingonberry sauce - yummy!

I don't think I bought anything 'extra' this trip, but that is a rarity! :tongue_smilie:

Glad to hear your trip went well and you got what you needed. Sometimes I'm totally overwhelmed going in there and end up coming out with nothing :glare:

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

BTW, this is me when I walk in the door: :drool:

And this is me while I'm there: Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee! :willy_nilly:

BTW, what did your dh think? IKEA is the true test of a marriage. If you can survive IKEA together without having a knock down, drag out, you can survive anything.

He's been busy telling me all the ways I can better organize our house since we walked out yesterday.

ETA: as he reads over my shoulder, he tells me he's being helpful.