Menu

Oldschool Latin

Hunter

So, for those of you using vintage resources, especially readers or immersion style resources, can you tell me how you use them? Do you do vocab before reading a story? Do you just muddle through each sentence with a dictionary? I really want to add an immersion angle to our studies, but being just a lesson ahead of ds, I can't explain words we haven't learned together, and certainly can't help with the more complex issues of declensions or conjugations/tenses beyond the present system, the first two conjugations, and the first two declensions. I am attempting to study ahead, but I am not far enough ahead yet. I've loaded and looked at Cornelia, and another primer, and the first sentences had me guessing. So what would a day in your Latin class be like?

When I use immersion, I use it WAY behind the drill and kill. I only use it as review. I don't TEACH with immersion.

I've been using this text to supplement our journey through LfC A and B; it is by the same guy who did the Latin Book One available on Yahoo (it is the text he revised to get Latin Book One, so it is very, very similar). Like Hunter suggested, I began it when we had some Latin under our belts--about 1/3 way through LfC A. My son found the sentences in the vintage text to enjoyable, and not overwhelming. So many of the vintage texts seem to dive into the deep end first....it can be scary if you are just learning to swim. ;)

Because we added in another text, we had to slow down our progress throught LfC; I'm layering Latin to help it all set better....

I've been using this text to supplement our journey through LfC A and B; it is by the same guy who did the Latin Book One available on Yahoo (it is the text he revised to get Latin Book One, so it is very, very similar). Like Hunter suggested, I began it when we had some Latin under our belts--about 1/3 way through LfC A. My son found the sentences in the vintage text to enjoyable, and not overwhelming. So many of the vintage texts seem to dive into the deep end first....it can be scary if you are just learning to swim. ;)

Because we added in another text, we had to slow down our progress throught LfC; I'm layering Latin to help it all set better....

There is no key for this book? This text reminds me of Machen [Greek].

I realize I kinda contradicted myself in this thread. It's nice to have ONE spine, BUT I find it OKAY to switch spines, if the switch is mostly a formatting/author switch, and I am able to keep the student on the same path of acquisition they were already on. The books can be quite different, as long as what I am PRESENTING to the STUDENT isn't a big switch. As long as THEY are not being disrupted, and I'm not wasting precious time and money looking for a weedless curriculum, that does NOT exist.

I'm not sure if that makes sense. :tongue_smilie:

Yes, like a cartoon book.

Got out Henle this morning.

I like cartoons as SUPPLEMENTS. A little frosting is pleasant for dessert, but makes a bad meal. Living on frosting is not sustainable. I get so nervous when I think that I have embarked on a nonsustainable journey, that I cannot even enjoy the early frosting. I have to dump it right away, or immediately figure out how to turn it into dessert.

I'd like to see Minimus one day. But I've managed to have students make their own cartoons so far. And it makes such great refrigerator art :-)

Edited by Hunter

LNM? I'm getting lost in all the intitials.

I like old cheap copies of Ecce Romani for silent READING practice. Someone just shoot me if I ever had to TEACH from it though. I like to collect cheap used student texts, the more the better, for READING. I'm not too picky. No one tries to teach English with one book. I don't try and teach a foreign language with just one book. I like ONE solid GRAMMAR text for the spine, just like I like one solid math text for my spine, but supplementing is good, when it doesn't distract from the spine text.

LNM is a lovely book, beautiful pictures, readings that are interesting with the necessary vocabulary to translate in the book, and bits of history. But Henle is more efficient, and with more translation exercises. I'm all about efficiency for every subject. :D

Hunter, you asked about Minimus. I have both volumes, but it's best used with some Latin background. I didn't give these books to DD until she was about done with Units 1-3 in Henle. It's just more fun that way. I didn't get the TM, and with your experience, you won't need it either.

LNM is a lovely book, beautiful pictures, readings that are interesting with the necessary vocabulary to translate in the book, and bits of history. But Henle is more efficient, and with more translation exercises. I'm all about efficiency for every subject. :D

Hunter, you asked about Minimus. I have both volumes, but it's best used with some Latin background. I didn't give these books to DD until she was about done with Units 1-3 in Henle. It's just more fun that way. I didn't get the TM, and with your experience, you won't need it either.

Efficiency is a big one with me. One of my students calls me, "Miss No Nonsense" :lol:

I'll keep my eye out for a cheap used copy of Minimus.

No, sadly, I haven't found one yet. I've been able to keep a lesson or two ahead of the boys...

Sometimes when I have no answer key, I translate the Latin/Greek into English, and then a few days later use my notes to translate back into Latin/Greek. If my misunderstanding is serious, this won't help, but if I'm just trying to catch slovely and rushed translations, it works adequately. According to Climbing Parnassus, it was standard to double translate.

Sometimes when I have no answer key, I translate the Latin/Greek into English, and then a few days later use my notes to translate back into Latin/Greek. If my misunderstanding is serious, this won't help, but if I'm just trying to catch slovely and rushed translations, it works adequately. According to Climbing Parnassus, it was standard to double translate.

Great idea! I'll have to start doing that.

I am tempted to buy LNM. It looks lovely. Henle is working well for us now, and my son is doing well. I LOVE the no-nonsense approach. I am adding in some vintage Latin readers:Cornelia, A New Latin Primer Reader, as well as minimus. I am looking for more at his level. :bigear:

Well here's a pretty minimal introduction to the grammar. Reminds me of First Form in the beginning, even though it does have longer sentences to translate later on. First Steps in Latin. If you prefer a hardcopy it's been revised as New First Steps in Latin - I've seen it on Amazon.

This is a FANTASTIC book! Thank you so much for sharing!!! :hurray:

I am tempted to buy LNM. It looks lovely. Henle is working well for us now, and my son is doing well. I LOVE the no-nonsense approach. I am adding in some vintage Latin readers:Cornelia, A New Latin Primer Reader, as well as minimus. I am looking for more at his level. :bigear:

Is this the book?

http://archive.org/stream/ANewLatinPrimer/ANewLatinPrimerByMimaMaxey#page/n0/mode/2up

Well here's a pretty minimal introduction to the grammar. Reminds me of First Form in the beginning, even though it does have longer sentences to translate later on. First Steps in Latin. If you prefer a hardcopy it's been revised as New First Steps in Latin - I've seen it on Amazon.

Thank you very much. These are excellent grammar explanations. They would work well if creating a Lifelong Latin Notebook. A notebook is essential for curriculum hoppers.

I love both of these resources. Thanks for posting!

Thanks for posting this!

Do you know how many vintage Latin goodies I have on my hard drive? It's embarrassing....:blush: If only I actually knew what to do with all of it...