Menu

Can someone plz recommend a rice cooker or steamer? No idea where to start!!

I just need something to cook brown rice well for a family of four. My very old Black and Decker steamer (which did rice and also vegetables) finally bit the dust. They still sell them, but I never used it for veggies anyway so I'm wondering if there's anything else better, and hopefully quicker, for cooking brown rice. I don't even know where to start or what's available.

So basically I need something reasonably priced (under $50?), not a pressure cooker, that can do a good job cooking brown rice. Please include brand names, if you have them! Thanks!

To be honest...You dont need to spend a lot of money. I bought a super cheap one at walgreens...yes walgreens right before I moved into this house in 2000 and it still is working amazing!! I dont have use for all the features as I usually just put the rice on before I start cooking. It is done when Im ready.

I LOVE it. You can add more or less rice depending on what you need. So easy to just dump it in there and forget it!

I have a 20-cup Aroma rice cooker that I bought at Walmart that I use to make many variations of white rice, but the brown rice feature has not produced acceptable results. I've started using Alton Brown's baked brown rice recipe and it turns out fabulous - but the downside is that it uses the oven for an hour.

I have a 20-cup Aroma rice cooker that I bought at Walmart that I use to make many variations of white rice' date=' but the brown rice feature has not produced acceptable results. I've started using Alton Brown's baked brown rice recipe and it turns out fabulous - but the downside is that it uses the oven for an hour.[/quote']

This is the one I have and it works great for white rice. I can get the rice and water ready, put frozen or fresh veggies (sometimes frozen chicken or sausages) in the steaming tray, set the timer, and dinner is all set. We can't eat brown rice, so I can't comment on that. We also use it to make oatmeal for breakfast...3C rolled oats, 5C water, pinch of salt. Set it up the night before to be done at breakfast time.

Aroma makes a nice one with a timer/ preset option. Mine was 30 at target. Makes a min of 4 c rice. Max of 14.

My aroma rice cooker has malfunctioned from the start. Maybe I got one from a bad batch but it's a nightmare! It says it's done cooking rice when it's still raw sitting in water. The slow cooker function doesn't work at all-- shuts itself off after 2 minutes. So I would have to say buyer beware on that one.

When it feels like working it cooks brown rice well but most days it's a hunk of junk on my countertop.