Menu

Dr. Hive, What nasty virus is going around?

Dd, age 10, who has been very healthy for the last few years, has been sick for a full week. She seems to be improving very, very gradually but she's had a killer headache and sore throat for a week. The body aches and fever passed. The doctor was unsure if it could be viral or strep, since it looked like both. We had a rapid test for strep and a culture sent out but both were negative.

The doctor did ask if she had any weird rashes.

Will it ever end? She needed ibuprofen for her headache again tonight.

I tried an antihistimine today in case allergies were making it worse but it didn't seem to help.

Is this just what's going around?

My oldest daughter has been sick almost a week. Killer headache, sore throat, snot, cough, etc.

Then add MAJOR tummy issues too.

And now my oldest son has it also.

I sure hope none of the littles get it. THe babies are tough enough without illness. "The three" don't

get sick often though.

:grouphug: I'm sorry, and I thought we had it bad. I hope everyone feels better soon and the little stay healthy.

Sounds similar to what both of my boys have had (well, one still has it), except my boys both ended up with a cough, too. The fevers were fairly high -- 102 and 103. It started with a headache, then came the fever, then the cough. The doctor was non-commital, but mentioned the possibility of a cocksackie virus. I don't think it was 5th disease, however, because there was no rash and they've both had it before.

Edited by Serenade

Did they do a flu test too?

I asked my doctor to do one, but she didn't think there was the remotest possibility of the flu, even though my son had 4 or 5 flu symptoms. She did the strep test, though, which I was fairly sure he didn't have. Doctors seem to like the strep test. :rolleyes: I didn't take my oldest in at all, after the youngest's trip to the doctor was a bust.

Sounds exactly like what my Dd had a few weeks ago. Headache, very sore throat, fever, dizziness, fatigue. Strep tests (rapid and culture) were negative.

The doctor assumes it was just viral. She felt better after day 5 or so. My niece had the same thing, but her's lasted even longer.

Did the doctor mention mono at all? We were instructed to return if it didn't improve and mono tests would be done, but she ended up getting better.

I hope she is feeling better very soon! :grouphug:

Edited by magnificent_baby
spelling

There's something going around. Our entire family has it. I've been up since 4:30, because I can't breathe. I think it's a flu (an evil, alien flu). It seems to be a real hanger-onger. About the dizziness, I was sitting down and the whole room started moving. :D I feel sorry for the kids who have it.

West Nile? can cause very flu-like symptoms.

Hmm, we've had a few cases in our county recently.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/index.htm

I think that's why the doctor was asking about rashes. We've had it in animals in our county, right in the neighboring town, but no people that they know of yet. And dd is outside all the time.

We had some plague...from the first toss of the cookies until the last cough was a solid month. Now, there are 6 of us in the house and we kind of fell like dominoes, but there were at least 2 solid weeks you were sick and another week to just recover. And it all started with the sore throat from hades.

Sounds similar to what both of my boys have had (well, one still has it), except my boys both ended up with a cough, too. The fevers were fairly high -- 102 and 103. It started with a headache, then came the fever, then the cough. The doctor was non-commital, but mentioned the possibility of a cocksackie virus. I don't think it was 5th disease, however, because there was no rash and they've both had it before.

I think this dd has had cocksakie. When it went around, it was around this time of year from what I remember. She did have spots in her throat at that time, but not now.

Sounds exactly like what my Dd had a few weeks ago. Headache, very sore throat, fever, dizziness, fatigue. Strep tests (rapid and culture) were negative.

The doctor assumes it was just viral. She felt better after day 5 or so. My niece had the same thing, but her's lasted even longer.

Did the doctor mention mono at all? We were instructed to return if it didn't improve and mono tests would be done, but she ended up getting better.

I hope she is feeling better very soon! :grouphug:

No mention of mono.

There is something similar going around here. Several people I know have kids who have been sick for days. I would suspect mono as a possibility too. I had it two years ago, and it really knocked me down even though I had not been sick in several years.

Now, with mono, the there's fatigue, sore throat, and swollen glands. I've been watching dd's throat, mostly thinking of strep, and there aren't obvious spots. My friend's dd had mono and her tonsils had very clear white spots.

The mono thing is something to keep in mind if she's not much improved by Tuesday. This dd is my only one in ps and the first day is Thursday.

I forgot my youngest's hacking cough. Every time she gets the slightest sniffle, her whooping cough cough comes back--has for years. She sounds like a three pack a day smoker.

My dd started with a croupy cough and like yours, it comes with any drippiness. The cough was only there the first day.

Bumping this because my oldest is now going on day 10 with the fever. I'm now wondering if he has something different than his brother, although the symptoms were very similar. Younger DS had it for 7 days, and older is now on his 10th day. I haven't yet taken older to the doctor because when I took younger I basically got a pat on the head and sent on my way. But I'm thinking if this is not gone tomorrow, I'll need to take him in. Maybe he's getting a secondary infection? His fever went way down on day 7 or 8, so I thought he was getting over it, and then it went back up again. Has anyone else's kid had the fever for 10 days? It's not particularly high -- it's averaging 100.5 to 101.5, although occasionally it gets close to 102. Older son has also had a far worse cough than younger son, so I'm wondering if his virus has morphed into some kind of lung infection. Can you cause bronchitis by coughing too much? What about pneumonia?

I had flu-like symptoms (everything BUT congestion/respiratory) and was miserable about 3 weeks ago. TERRIBLE headache.

It was erlichiosis, a tick-borne disease. Doc said it's possible it's lyme, though I didn't have any deer ticks that I noticed, so he treated for lyme. The treatment is the same (3 weeks on doxy for lyme, 2 weeks for erlichiosis).

Energy level isn't back where it should be, but the other symptoms are gone, thank God. It felt a lot like I remember mono feeling back when I was a teen.

If your child doesn't have respiratory symptoms but the rest of the symptoms are flu-like, I'd ask about tick-borne diseases.

Edited by bbkaren

One of my boys started with a headache and sore throat Friday afternoon, got worse yesterday, higher fever, throat hurt more and every time I turned around he was in his bed, NOT normal! Stayed home from church with him today, seems to be perkier but still says throat and head hurt. Hanging in there and hoping it stops with him.