Menu

Creative Egg ideas, lowish carb breakfasts... alternative flours?

How's that for a title? :lol:

I love to cook. I have been told (and *puffing up chest* I think I am one :D) I am a good cook.

Here is what they don't know! I have a very hard time with eggs. Sure I can take a recipe and make it my own. But eggs? Scrambled or quiches is about all I can do with them.

I don't mind scrambled eggs (on toast with some shredded extra sharp cheddar). Dd doesn't mind them. Well everyone but ds10 likes scrambled eggs. However.... it does get a tad boring.

Ds10 and dd don't like quiche.

So where does that leave me??? :)

I need creative ideas on how to cook eggs in the morning so that everyone will eat the same blasted thing :tongue_smilie:.

I rely heavily on protein. I so oh-so-much-better on protein than carbs. So I don't make breads for breakfast. If we have a heavy carb meal we eat it at dinner so if I get that heavy feeling I know I am at a point in the day where it is closer to bedtime so it isn't as bothersome. However I still try to avoid it myself.

What about these alternative flours I hear about? Almond flour and the like. Can you tell me about those? How does it compare to average flour?

Anyway this became a heck of a lot longer than I intended just for egg and lower carb ideas.

I am going to bed so I won't be able to respond 'til tomorrow! :)

How's that for a title? :lol:

I love to cook. I have been told (and *puffing up chest* I think I am one :D) I am a good cook.

Here is what they don't know! I have a very hard time with eggs. Sure I can take a recipe and make it my own. But eggs? Scrambled or quiches is about all I can do with them.

I don't mind scrambled eggs (on toast with some shredded extra sharp cheddar). Dd doesn't mind them. Well everyone but ds10 likes scrambled eggs. However.... it does get a tad boring.

Ds10 and dd don't like quiche.

So where does that leave me??? :)

I need creative ideas on how to cook eggs in the morning so that everyone will eat the same blasted thing :tongue_smilie:.

I rely heavily on protein. I so oh-so-much-better on protein than carbs. So I don't make breads for breakfast. If we have a heavy carb meal we eat it at dinner so if I get that heavy feeling I know I am at a point in the day where it is closer to bedtime so it isn't as bothersome. However I still try to avoid it myself.

What about these alternative flours I hear about? Almond flour and the like. Can you tell me about those? How does it compare to average flour?

Anyway this became a heck of a lot longer than I intended just for egg and lower carb ideas.

I am going to bed so I won't be able to respond 'til tomorrow! :)

Let them cook their own eggs. :D And take the day off from cooking breakfast.

That's how it's done here because of the same problem.

They love it!

I know you said no quiche, but if they like pizza, maybe they'll like this one (we did). My notes are at the bottom.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pizza Quiche

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Breakfasts & Brunches Casseroles

Ground Turkey Low Carb

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 1/2 pounds ground beef

1/2 small onion

1 red bell pepper

4 oz pepperoni -- diced

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

6 eggs

1 cup heavy cream

1/2 tsp black pepper

8 oz Swiss cheese -- shredded

Serves: 8

An Induction Friendly entree that is extremely low carb and versatile

509 Calories, 42g Fat, 4.3g Carbs (0.5g Fiber) , 26.5g Protein

Preheat oven to 350F degrees.

In a large frying pan, brown ground beef with onions, peppers, pepperoni, salt, and pepper. Drain excess fat.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Add cream and pepper, and beat together. Add shredded cheese to egg-cream mixture.

Grease a large casserole dish well. Layer the ground beef mixture, and then pour the egg cream over top.

Bake for 30 minutes covered, and the final 15 minutes uncovered.

Source:

"http://www.atkinsdietgeek.com/"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : I used ground turkey. I baked this in a 9x9 pan, but had to bake it about 20 minutes longer. I used a combination of cheddar and mozzarella cheese instead of the swiss cheese.

How about egg sandwiches? Fried, poached or scrambled with a slice of ham or bacon and some cheese. We have ours on English muffins. There is the carb factor there....

Or a family omelette/frittata - or is that too quiche like?

I can't help with the flour question. I'm just learning and experimenting with using whole wheat instead of white!

I bake with coconut and almond flours. Here are a few good sites with recipes. Both of those flours are quite LC. I use stevia and erythritol when I bake.

This woman is a pastry chef and her recipes are pretty amazing

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/

The banana nut muffins here (made with coconut flour) are one of my kids' favorites.

http://healthyindulgences.net/

Maria has a relevant post for you.

http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/

I now quadruple the recipe in my standmixer and freeze some of the muffins. That is a LOT of eggs though, so be forewarned!

I just made her homemade nutella over the weekend (LC version) and the next time I make it I think I'd like to try her Nutella swirl quickbread (LC, made from almond flour). I think that would be yummy to have around during the holidays this year.

Lowcarbfriends is a great website. I just made a zucchini bread from there (using almond flour) last week and it was really good, especially with some cream cheese.

Chicken or pork sausage is really quick in the morning, has protein, and is nice as an egg-free alternative. For variety, look for ones like feta spinach, apple, etc. if your kids will eat those (watch for added sweeteners and look at carb counts as some of the apple ones are carbier than others).

Look at the recipe in post 4 in this thread. I've made that recipe so. many. times. and it is really good. I sometimes divide it in half and freeze half and we use the other. It takes some time on a weekend, but then you have breakfast for a few days afterward. I make this for brunch get togethers with family all of the time and they loooove it. FIL is disappointed if I serve anything else now. One nice part is that you can make this with more eggs or fewer eggs. If DS isn't a big egg fan, then just make it less eggy. My DS1 and DD don't like mushrooms so I usually skip those. It is a very flexible recipe.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/574589-looking-breakfast-casserole.html

Coconut flour makes yummy waffles. The alldayIdreamaboutfood site has a recipe for coconut flour pancakes too.

Here's the waffle recipe I like. See post 11. I don't like using VWG so I make them with straight coconut flour like the recipe in post 11 vs. the OP.

I know the ingredients sound really weird, but they are really good, I promise! You may have to play with the cooking time and tweak the thickness of the batter. All coconut flours behave slightly differently. All suck up a ton of moisture, but some suck up more than others. SO sometimes you have to tweak the batter slightly. In any case, the recipe is really good-

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/709265-betty-rs-famous-waffles-attn-charski.html (again, I use what is listed in post 11)

I'm not sure if they dislike quiche because of the eggs, or if they don't like the taste, but this is yummy and not eggy if that's their objection. Kinda like quiche but not eggy (yeah, I know that sounds like an oxymoron)

Better than quiche ricotta pie:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/485749-better-then-quiche-ricotta-pie.html

My kids also eat leftovers for breakfast a lot. Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are regular menu items too. DD and I like our cottage cheese with tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Will they eat hard boiled or deviled eggs? Egg salad? eta: I am not always in the mood for eggs in the morning, but I can handle them better in certain forms. Sometimes stir fry veggies or leftover veggies and just drizzle in one or two eggs. It is more like a stir fry than an omelet, if that makes sense. I will go light on the egginess. This is good with things like shredded cabbage to bulk it up. You can even make it less eggy by adding hot sauce or soy sauce to the finished product. Egg drop soup with homemade stock is great in the wintertime for breakfast. I simmer stock with a hunk of ginger, then drizzle in some beaten egg. I add in a dash of soy sauce at the end.

Edited by Momof3littles

Not that original and pretty much just scrambled eggs, but...do you ever put different add-ins to your eggs? I like to do "theme" scrambles. My favorite is Greek--so I add baby spinach, feta cheese, kalamata olives, and scallions to my eggs and just scramble it all up. Yum. :001_smile: Sometimes I do a Mexican scramble, again with a big handful of baby spinach (I put spinach in everything), a big spoonful of salsa, scallions or onions, and cheddar and/or monterey jack cheese. I guess it's just the lazy way out of making an omelet or fritatta, but it's quick and yummy and can be different all the time, depending on what you have in your fridge.