Menu

Art curriculum for grades 2 and 3...not sure if they're gifted

Just-a-mom

Hi!

I'm slowly realizing that my kids need to be challenged more in art. It was going to be a "side dish", but they spend literally hours, every day, drawing. I feel it would be good to challenge them some more....introduce them to things they won't discover on their own.

I don't know if they're gifted or not--they haven't really had the chance to find out. I just know I'm a tired mommy of 5+1 on the way, and have little girls who draw well, and draw a lot.

Someone has recommended some Visual Manna curriculum...like the online art classes, but we only have an iPhone for Internet, and it's hard to crowd around that for lessons and still be excited about art. (We tried.)

Any inexpensive workarounds, like library books, or online resources that would challenge them but not my budget and planning/preparation limits? If Visual Manna is good for gifted/highly-interested kids, I'll try the offline stuff...but since I'm shopping around anyway, is there something better?

TIA,

Sarah

Edited by Just-a-mom
Typos

But just so you have a response... :) The only thing we tried that was worth recommending was outside classes. We didn't try a lot of things.. but really what he needed was someone who knew more about art than I did, and more than he could get from a book. We've done some dabbling on the side without professional help... origami, sumi-e, stop motion animation... but for drawing especially, and painting, he needed someone who could jump in when there was something to say and step back when he was doing fine.

I know it's not quite what you're looking for - sorry!

Thank you, Erica. That wasn't entirely unhelpful. It's just that we cannot afford this now (dh is going on six years of little to no employment...yeah). The only thing close to outside help is Visual Manna, but like I said, the crowding around the iPhone is a problem.

They're only 7 and 8. I'm not sure they're gifted. Just highly interested.

What age did you start yours on outside classes?

I always feel like I am going to say the wrong thing around here in a response, but it's Saturday and I don't care..lol..so excuse me if I say the wrong thing..

Have you checked the local library? Most have the really, really beautiful oversized art books - check out a slew of those and play?

Also, Netflix has about a zillion trillion possibilities - you could hook up your Iphone to some speakers and do some podcasts..just to have the language of Art in the air, it's amazing what some kids can pick up..

So, books, podcasts - and my favorite books to buy and harvest from are Usbourne technique ones.

If you wanted to go the route of a private tutor inexpensively - maybe you could entertain a high school student (they'd love this one their resume'/apps) or some one from the family...

Lots of art history can be interesting to - many ways to get that...

Aww, you're fine. And thank you! No, library books are fine, as I mentioned before. Having a list of beloved titles and/or authors you guys enjoyed would be helpful though. Are there any you particularly liked?

As far as Netflix goes, we don't have that in the budget. Maybe YouTube instead....hmm....

Thanks!

Thank you, Erica. That wasn't entirely unhelpful. It's just that we cannot afford this now (dh is going on six years of little to no employment...yeah). The only thing close to outside help is Visual Manna, but like I said, the crowding around the iPhone is a problem.

They're only 7 and 8. I'm not sure they're gifted. Just highly interested.

What age did you start yours on outside classes?

It's been a while... I had always intended to do something at home, but it never really worked out. And it definitely was pricy to send him to classes. I understand that being outside the budget!

Well, since you asked...

Do the Picasso thing, Matisse next. There's a really amazing little window in kids heads for the excitement of abstracts, seriously.

Always play music when they are makin' stuff. It's entirely amazing, really...

Ah, you mean like for art appreciation, not for helping them learn to draw? I think I should go back to TWTM and figure out when it is recommended to introduce the Masters....so far we've just been doing their own creations for art, so my brain is stuck on learning basic skills.

Edited by Just-a-mom
Added the quote to which I was responding

I wish I had a great answer- but honestly I could use help here too. We go to the library a lot to get drawing books and I buy lots of supplies for my 2 girls. I am terrible at art. We usually try to do art everyday and relate it to a subject. Making models of atoms, brochures of ancient towns, maps. Draw and write through history was a fun one we got at the library.

Kathy

I wish I had a great answer- but honestly I could use help here too. We go to the library a lot to get drawing books and I buy lots of supplies for my 2 girls. I am terrible at art. We usually try to do art everyday and relate it to a subject. Making models of atoms, brochures of ancient towns, maps. Draw and write through history was a fun one we got at the library.

Kathy

Oh thanks! I didn't realize that was a library book. It sounded consumable. Let's hope my library has better art books than other books. They didn't have what I consider basics like "Little House" or "The Hobbit." :-)

There are three aspects I try to hit with art: art history, creative/exploration exercises and "how to" draw, paint and so forth. I am fairly cautious with how to do anything as I think there are many ways to draw, paint and sculpt. I would present those techniques as options to try on for a bit, not as the only way to use that medium. I think you can find art history and "how to" books at the library. Creative expression could be as simple as handing them new art supplies or more directed. For example, if you are studying an artist that did a lot of self portraits, they could create a self portrait.

I hope there is something in my post that helps.

There is! I needed a way to break down different parts of art education. It would be so helpful to have a spine that fleshed this out. As we have history encyclopedias/spines, what I really need is an art spine with thoughts like you listed.

I keep bringing up basics cause I want them/us to be able to use terms like "line", "perspective", etc. and be able to demonstrate these too. Those are in the table of contents from Art ABC's from Visual Manna, btw.

I keep bringing up basics cause I want them/us to be able to use terms like "line", "perspective", etc. and be able to demonstrate these too. Those are in the table of contents from Art ABC's from Visual Manna, btw.

I was one of those that clicked then left earlier today without posting. But as you are getting responses and responding to those responses, this might be helpful.

My dh is a professional artist and is a firm believer that formal art instruction is not necessary until high school. His advice is always to get out of their way and let them draw and encourage them to copy pictures from books, to use those "how to draw" books (your library will have a ton of these). At 7 or 8 they don't *need* to know about line and perspective. Those terms will likely come up as you explore art, but you really don't need a curriculum or "spine" to introduce those terms formally.

My kids had paper, markers, pencils, scissors and tape (not to mention boxes, paper towel tubes and anything else available!) all in easy access and they created non-stop for years. They made their own books, their own Pokemon cards, and filled reams of paper with ideas and drawings. Mark Kistler's Draw Squad books were a favorite, but really any books you find at the library will do, whether drawing books or craft idea books. Go to local museums or art galleries, watch videos about drawing and art. Read about all the great artists -- you could have an artist of the month. There are lots of craft sites on line which will give you seeds of ideas, (even if you just get a peek of it from an iPhone screen!)

There is no one right way or wrong way to go about it. Just don't worry about structuring it, think instead of creating an environment where drawing and creating are nurtured.

I bought draw and write through history for my DD for copywork-she enjoys drawing and I thought the "how to draw" might appeal to her. We also do an artist of the month where we simply look at the artist's work, read about them, and then try to do things in their style.

Oh, and go to art museums if you can-the ones here have free days for the public on Tuesdays and do not schedule school field trips that day.

You might find How to Teach Art to Children helpful.

Drawing with Children is great for drawing instruction. There used to be lesson plans (or at least a structure for using the book) online somewhere.

Mark Kistler's Draw Squad is great, and I think he's got some free videos somewhere (try looking at Homeschool Buyer's Coop first). My dh has done drawing lessons simply by pulling up how to draw youTube clips and going through them with the boys.

CLE has a simple art program that is pretty easy to implement. Mark Kistler (online lessons) reasonable...and my kids pick and choose what they are going to draw. How Great Thou Art has some lessons (video), and books (again, simple, easy to follow).

Other books we have are Come Look With Me series, various art books (samples of art), and books about artists. For the most part, I just provide the tools and resources, and stay out of their way. They can implement (or not). We do some of the reading and looking at art together (usually following whatever part of history we're working on), but all my kids pretty much do their own creative things. My oldest likes to draw dragons, bionicles, and technical stuff (cars, gears, buildings, engines). My oldest daughter is working on horses, animals and people (anything she can...she does some pretty good still life, too), my middle son draws Pokemon. 6yo dd draws animae, and the 3yo... she colors anything she can. ;)

Now if I could just keep their papers contained....they are literally all over the house, and junking it up. We have quite a mess on our hands, and it is out of control.

Not sure if you're the type to keep everything or not, so this is just a suggestion. I HATE having all the clutter. When my kids make something, we keep it until the next project comes along, take a picture of it, and then throw it away. Otherwise, we'd have boxes and boxes and boxes of stuff. I keep a few if they're "important", but only if they're small or flat or whatever, and can be kept in a box or binder for that particular school year.

Creativity is more important at this age for sure. Exploring diverse materials is very exciting and allows for a broader concept of "art". Watercolor, particularly wet-on-wet technique is quite rich, search it on youtube. I really love the artsy atmosphere of a Waldorf education, which is incorporated across the curriculum. I am particularly fond of "Learning About the World Through Modeling" by Arthur Auer. http://www.waldorfbooks.com/?s=learning+about+the+world+through+modeling

Pssst, amazon sells Amaco air dry clay (25lbs) shipped to your door for less than $17. It's true.

Do it all over the years...collage, dioramas, modeling, sculpture, watercolors, block crayons, paper mache, bookmaking, basket weaving, knitting, origami, stained glass, fiber arts, pen & ink, charcoal, chalk, carpentry, topography...it goes on forever. The creative arts have a profound effect on the human psyche and really bring a balance to the intellect, nurturing keen observation and expression beyond the bounds of academia.

Just my 2 cents. :tongue_smilie: Sorry for the rambling style, it's late...time for bed.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world and all there ever will be to know and understand."

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

-Albert Einstein

Edited by Geo

You might find How to Teach Art to Children helpful.

Drawing with Children is great for drawing instruction. There used to be lesson plans (or at least a structure for using the book) online somewhere.

Mark Kistler's Draw Squad is great, and I think he's got some free videos somewhere (try looking at Homeschool Buyer's Coop first). My dh has done drawing lessons simply by pulling up how to draw youTube clips and going through them with the boys.

Just seconding the How to Teach Art; it is excellent ... I myself do not like the Drawing with Children approach at all. Here is an approach I find much, much better, if you want to do something more guided.

For free drawing, and very very good lessons, look at the Augsberg lessons: that thread has them in the OP by boardie Hunter.

I'd also look into watercolor a la Charlotte Mason folks, and the picture studies: Ambleside Online tries to link the current picture studies to free online images, which you might could print out if your screen size is too small? That link takes you to their art study page, which also has links to sites with art history/artist information and bios.

This link has a lot of art lesson plans that include actual drawing and art projects as well as art history. All the lesson plans are free and the vast majority don't require a computer for the kids, just for the adult doing the planning. You could flesh it out with library books and print off any necessary handouts at the library if need be. For example, My oldest son did one from this link on comics a few months ago. We checked out some comic art technique books from the library to go with the unit.

http://artinspired.pbworks.com/w/page/13819728/Units%20and%20Curriculum%20for%20Elementary

Here is the advice I received on the old WTM boards for my 2 artistically gifted dd's when they were around that age:

You don't need curriculum yet, just have lots of art supplies in the house & let them have at it.

I finally bought something from http://www.teachartathome.com (The Phonics of Drawing) when my eldest dd was 11, and the next year, after doing the high school level, dd took a workshop & I was pulled aside by the instructor & told how good my dd's were, etc, and it's been proven more than once. My other dd had done an easier track of it.

Unlike some things, early instruction isn't essential for art. In her sophomore year, my eldest went back to ps, and the next yaer she an A in a public high school in a class where it is NOT easy to get an A in art and she wasn't even trying her best (takes too long, according to her.)