Menu

Anyone else doing Dressing Your Truth?

I'm wondering if anyone else here is doing the Dressing Your Truth program from Carol Tuttle? I know there are several homeschoolers on the facebook groups, so I'm wondering if there's much crossover here. :)

If you haven't done the program, I highly recommend it. I signed up thinking it would help me with the sorry state of affairs in my closet, but really love it for how the energy profiling is helping with my relationships and self awareness. I'm especially excited for the parenting book coming out this fall. There's a free profiling course on the site if you want more information.

I just followed your link and I don't know if it's just me, but I thought all the ladies in the video looked nicer in their "before" pics :).

Me too. And she says she looks younger? I hope she's over 65 then?:001_huh:

I don't have the attention span to watch all those long winded vids to get to whatever my profile might be.

I haven't done it, but I've heard about it on here.

I haven't looked at the site in awhile - probably will go look now - so I can't remember cost and such. So you consider it worth it? Just wondering. :)

Yes, totally worth the cost for me. And now you can get it for $99 with a $20 store credit, so it's even more affordable. The 3 hr course itself was ok, but where I really fell in love was with the club night videos, hands-on videos and additional resources. I have truly learned so much about myself, and my family members, and I'm feeling really great about where this is going for us. Plus I have figured out what I like to wear! Which is fabulous considering I had nothing that fit and hated trying to find things that felt or looked good on me.

UnsinkableKristen, there are a couple of make-overs I feel that way about. Part of the challenge for me is that I don't really have much need to dress up, and don't like wearing make-up, so some of the looks just don't resonate with me *for me*. But most of the time I can see how these women come more alive after the make-over, and after interacting with a lot of DYT people on their forums and facebook, I can see how much of a difference it's made. Plus I've seen lots of after shots now that aren't as dressy and don't include as much make-up, and I am loving those looks even more. :)

That site is one of many that I've looked at to figure out what to wear. Really, If you have the time, I think there is enough info out there to not have to pay for the course, even though they discourage that.

There are other similar type and style programs, and she seems to have drawn from some of them.

The basic idea, that you need to dress to suit your true personality so that you and the people you associate with are not conflicted about who you are, is not bad. What I find a little off-putting is the rigidity of the system, and some of the mysticism that crops up.

That said, I would be a type 2, and I now look for soft comfortable clothes in cool, muted colors and blended patterns. It has really expanded my wardrobe and given me more choices, almost too many choices, lol. It has also reduced my desire to consider clothing with bold, bright, or dynamic elements.

I just don't think it's as complicated as they make it sound. If you are in the public eye a lot, it would probably be good to pay to go through one of the style programs available. Otherwise, it seems like a high price to invest when you stay home most of the time.

That's a weird concept to me. There are a lot of "truths" about us. We have a lot of different roles, some of which are quite contradictory. Should a homeschool mom who is a CPA dress like a businesswoman or like a homeschool mom (denim jumper and all)? If you graduated from a prestigious college, should you dress preppy in your adult years, or is that behind you? I mean, all the roles we've played throughout our lives are still part of who we are.

Maybe I'm just not catching on.

http://www.caroltuttle.com/

An energy healer and spiritual teacher.

"If you believe you are anything less than wonderful, powerful, appreciated and honored then you are believing a lie"

Hmmmm......already running the other way.

Pretty much.

Personally, I really hate shopping. I'm a fairly truthful person as it is. I want a pair of jeans that are comfy and don't make my butt look like deflating balloon. I want shirts that make me feel pretty, don't show stains easily, and can be nursed in comfortably. Underwear that doesn't give wedgies is pretty much my only requirement for sexy.

I want my semi wavy/curly/straight hair to not look like my 3 year old styled it and if I am feeling ambitious that day - I want my makeup to not burn my face, return it to 13 yr old hell, or age it to mummified dryness of a 90 year old.

That's it. That all I want out of life when it comes to clothing and style.

Everything else, I leave to dh's inclination and desire because he is the only person I want to impress. If he buys it for me and the above are met - I figure out a way to wear it. I tease Dh that he loves to decorate his "trophy". :tongue_smilie: He does much better than me. I adore the coach purse he snagged for me at a sale while on a business trip. And that is absolutely something I never thought I'd say or write.

That's a weird concept to me. There are a lot of "truths" about us. We have a lot of different roles, some of which are quite contradictory. Should a homeschool mom who is a CPA dress like a businesswoman or like a homeschool mom (denim jumper and all)? If you graduated from a prestigious college, should you dress preppy in your adult years, or is that behind you? I mean, all the roles we've played throughout our lives are still part of who we are.

Maybe I'm just not catching on.

The idea is that you dress consistent with how your energy moves. That doesn't mean you would dress the same all the time, or that two people of the same type would dress the same. There are five design elements for each type, and that helps you to narrow down what will work for you in a variety of circumstances. I can dress true to my nature in pyjamas, a business suit, at the playground with my kids, and on a date at a fancy restaurant with my husband. None of those outfits would look the same, but all would be honouring of my expression. Does that make sense?

I just don't think it's as complicated as they make it sound. If you are in the public eye a lot, it would probably be good to pay to go through one of the style programs available. Otherwise, it seems like a high price to invest when you stay home most of the time.

No, it isn't especially complicated. You can figure out your type from the free beauty course and I do think you can piece together enough from the free content on the blog to dress fairly true to your type without paying for the course. But for me, it's about more than the clothes. The course videos on parenting and relationships are the ones that feel the most enlightening, and I really love the little flashes of insight that keep popping up about my own personality and behaviours.

Honestly, I think this is a program that helps people love themselves more, and supports a better understanding of the people around us. So forgetting the style aspects for a moment, I would highly recommend this for anyone that is just looking for a little more understanding of what makes themselves, and others, behave the way they do. And I think you can get a lot of that for free on the blog as well. Lots of information there!

No.

The free videos will describe this much better than I can, but I'll give it a shot... Everything in nature has a distinct movement and falls under one of four energy types. People also contain these four energy types, and we lead with one dominant energy, which is then supported by the other three energies. The way we dress* sends a message about who we are, and when our behaviour and energetic response is different than our 'packaging', it can confuse people.

For example, let's say you are dressing in a fun, open, playful style (a type one movement) but you're the type of person that is more private and reserved and likes to have your personal space protected (a type four movement). The message you're sending is in conflict with who you are, so you might find yourself in lots of awkward moments where strangers are touching you and you're feeling put out, or people are trying to strike up conversations with you and you get surprised and it comes across as cold and unfriendly.

Perhaps not a perfect example, but I hope it illustrates the point sufficiently and helps clarify things.

*I don't mean 'the way we dress' in terms of whether or not we're wearing a casual or more dressy outfit. This program talks about colour, design lines, texture, etc. so it's more subtle than something like whether or not you have a tattoo or wear yoga pants.

:lol: Me too. :001_huh:

The more they explain, the less I get it.

It gives me a headache to imagine going through that every time i get dressed in the morning.

Oh, getting dressed is much, much simpler! And generally feels better. But that's besides the point... if you're not into it, you're not into it. Nothing is a fit for everyone. :)

Pretty sure my "truth" in dressing myself is Anthropologie and J. Crew. I'm very happy with anything I wear from either of those places. And I'm happy with how people relate to me as well, so maybe I've merged it all already.

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/index.jsp

http://www.jcrew.com/index.jsp

:iagree: and I'll add madewell to that too. :D

• 3 months later...