Menu

Help. Last minute decision to home school.

Hello. We have hs'd our dd who is entering 10th grade for most of her education. She did 9th at the local ps. We have just recently decided to hs for 10th grade. I am feeling overwhelmed and wondering if this is a mistake. I have been scouring the boards for information on all the possible curriculums. My daughter is interested in becoming a RN, specifically a NICU nurse. She had all A's at the ps.

This is what I have figured out so far:

Geometry: TT or Saxon or something else

Biology: I've looked at Shepard, Apologia with the DIVE cd (although to me these seem boring) We would also be interested in a secular program. We want something solid that can be done independently for the most part.

English/American Lit: I thought of registering her in a class elsewhere. I am looking at Seton. Also, finishing the AG we bought but never used. Also, thinking that if she wants to go back to ps they can accept this grade as if she was a transferring student. I feel she would benefit from having someone else grade her papers.

History: ?? I am drawing a blank here. At the ps she was set up to take American History.

Foreign Language: She has completed in the past Prima Latina, LfC books A and B or most of it. She has been exposed to spanish as a kid and took a year of it at the ps but it wasn't very indepth. So either further study of Latin or Spanish or perhaps both. Recommendations? How much foreign language is typically needed to get into college?

She studies paino. Could this be considered a credit? Could she have multiple years of piano as a credit if she continues to hs?

Ahhh...as I sit her thinking about all of this it seems so overwhelming. Maybe I should just send her to the ps but everyone wants to be together.

Anyone have any input on the curriculum? Other input? Be kind. My dh thinks I am just overwhelmed about the decision making and once we have curriculum I will be fine.

How far along is she in math? Saxon is usually an integrated curriculum for high school. Depending on when she is going to take her SAT tests, and where she places in Saxon, she might or might not be able to catch up if she goes that way. Having said that, Saxon is a very solid program, better than TT for sure. I just urge some more cautious investigation about the timing of it. You might need to use it in a very accelerated way if you go that way.

For foreign language, you need 2 years but 3 years is required or at least strongly recommended at many top universities. Latin works, use Henle or Wheelock. Knowledge of a modern spoken language is helpful in job applications--she might want to switch to Spanish at this point if you and she are not wedded to Latin. Having said that, Latin will help tremendously with all of her other studies. If you switch to Spanish, I strongly recommend doing Vocabulary Vine and Science Vine--the latter is especially helpful with biology.

Also, for foreign language study you can delegate that pretty effectively to Concordia Villages in Minnesota for either of those languages. They have a residential immersion program, and it is excellent. High schoolers can get a full year of credit for 4 weeks of study there over the summer. But I would suggest starting this year to get the three years in.

Whatever you do for science, be sure that you can prove that she actually did labs--take photos, and have lab reports. Good colleges want proof of at least two years of lab science, one of which must be biology. They don't want video labs.

Test scores will be crucial for homeschooled high schoolers. Taking a SAT prep class next summer would be a good idea.

Piano is a good fine arts credit, and there is no reason why she can't take it all the way through.

For history, have you looked at the adult world history books by SWB? Also, there are excellent descriptions of how to teach history at the high school level in WTM. Make sure that she is writing critically about history as well as learning facts, if possible.

Thanks Carol. She did saxon 8/7 and then did Alg. 1 at the ps. In years past we did MUS.

What geometry would you recommend?

My understanding is that Saxon Alg 1 and 2 had geometry in it. I know colleges like to see a stand alone geometry. Then I noticed Saxon also has its own Geometry.

I did not know SWB had the history books you mentioned.

thank you for the advice to take photos of labs. We want a stong science with hands on labs. We want her to be taught both evolution and creation.

One place I started was by looking up the grad requirements for public high schools, private high schools, state universities, and prestigious universities. Then altogether I made a plan that would very definitely graduate him from a local public school and if we reach all our (my) hopes and dreams, also get him into Harvard, if he wants to go.

Here is what Harvard has to say:

http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/apply/preparing/index.html#tothestudent

Our local university:

http://nau.edu/Admissions/Getting-Started/Requirements/Courses/

I linked those, not because they are anything special, except they are CLEAR about what they require. I really struggled to find clear expectations on university websites!

Here is what HSLDA says about high school credits:

http://www.hslda.org/highschool/docs/EvaluatingCredits.asp

Good luck and have fun! :)

We have friends that are very happy with Seton. It's more affordable than many other programs. You might want to give them a call. Their dc is taking Biology as well.

I think your dh is right. You'll be just fine once you have the curriculum. :)

If some curriculum is a little boring that's okay. She'll get through it. :grouphug:

Welcome to homeschooling high school! It's not so scary. Really! :) It's more about YOU transitioning to being administrator/counselor/mentor, rather than teaching (as with homeschooling elementary/middle school grades).

First:

You'll want to know your homeschooling regulations for high school (if any). You'll want to find out what requirements you may have as far as credits for high school graduation. Are you in the US? Homeschooling is more regulated in some states than others. Find your state here. If you are outside of the US, then google search something like: "high school graduation requirements +credits +your country".

Also, see what supports, mentoring, and information are available locally -- are there any homeschool groups nearby so you can talk with LOCAL, BTDT moms with high schoolers or grads? This website lists homeschool groups/resources in various countries and in the US by state. This website has a clickable link for each state of the US in the upper right corner.

Second:

Look back. You will want to get an official transcript from the public school of DD's 9th grade year so you'll know exactly what has already been covered. In 9th grade she probably had something like:

1 credit = English

1 credit = Math (Algebra 1)

1 credit = Science (probably Physical Science?)

1 credit = Social Studies (probably World History?)

1-2 credits = ??

Third:

Look ahead. You'll want to compare the list of classes required for high school graduation in your area, with college admission requirements for universities in your area or that your student may be interested in attending. Blend these lists together, and you'll have a great basic "roadmap" as to what classes to cover during high school.

A typical blend (with STEM emphasis) might look like this:

4 credits = English (a mix of Literature and Composition/Writing)

4 credits = Math (Alg. 1, Geometry, Alg. 2; something above Alg. 2)

4 credits = Science (with labs; helpful for nursing = Biology, Chemistry, Anatomy & Physiology, Ad. Biology, Ad. Chemistry)

2-3 credits = Social Studies (typically: 1 credit US History; 1 credit World History; 0.5 credit Government/Civics; 0.5 credit Economics/Personal Finance)

2 credits = Foreign Language (same language; some more rigorous colleges like to see 3-4 credits)

1-2 credits = Health/PE (usually required for high school graduation, not for admission to college)

1-2 credit = Fine Arts/Computer Tech (usually required for high school graduation, not for admission to college)

4-6 credits = Electives (usually required for high school graduation, not for admission to college)

That's a total of about 22-26 credits; which is about 5.5 to 6.5 credits per year, and a credit takes about 1 hour per day, 4-5/days a week. That's very manageable!

Looks like you are well on your way to a good plan for 10th grade:

1 credit = English

1 credit = Math (Geometry)

1 credit = Science (Biology)

1 credit = Social Studies (American History?)

1 credit = Foreign Language (Latin or Spanish)

1 credit = Fine Arts (Music: Piano)

Fourth:

Now it's just a matter of settling on *how* to accomplish those credits (I'm skipping over the specific programs you mentioned, assuming you have already researched those). Since DD wants to enter a STEM (science-technology-engineering-math) field as a Nurse, then you'll want to go with more rigorous or "advanced" options where possible. And because of her STEM interest and her all-A report card, I strongly suggest including some AP and/or Honors courses along the way to maker her more competitive for college admissions, scholarship applications, and -- with AP -- possible partial college credit.

English -- Seton / other online class? -- need outside grading

The Potter's School (Christian) offers solid English courses.

Laurel Tree offers rigorous Literature or Composition online classes.

Hewitt Homeschooling offers a grading service (for a fee) for their Lightning Literature & Composition programs; these are designed for homeschoolers.

Math (Geometry) -- TT / Saxon / other?

Sounds like DD could handle a mostly-solo program? And what did she use at home prior to 9th grade? If possible, "go with what you already know", as that makes for the easiest transition. If you'd like something with video lessons another good option (rigorous) is Chalkdust. If DD may be returning to public school, then consider using whatever textbook she would be using this year, or something like K-12.

Science (Biology) -- Shepard / Apologia / other (student works solo)

While apparently universities do NOT like to see community college (CC) science classes for COLLEGE credit, I don't think they mind seeing local CC science classes counted as HIGH SCHOOL science on the transcript. You may want to look into what your local CC offers in the way of science, and what the rules are for age/accessibility for high school students. A 4-unit or 5-unit CC science class done in 1 SEMESTER usually equals 1 to 1.5 YEARS of credit for high school. The CC science would include the labwork (so you don't have to figure out how to do it at home). It is secular. And it would allow DD to do a more rigorous science, which is her field of interest.

Another option to keep at home AND to have both Christian and Secular teachings is to bounce back and forth between 2 textbook programs. For help and accountability with labs, you might see if there is a homeschool co-op in your area that is doing science labs at the high school level. (The only ones near us are all based around Apologia's textbooks.)

A rigorous science that could be done at home, comes with DVDs, and would be done mostly solo by the student is Bob Jones. However, it is not secular. K-12 is secular, as is Oak Meadow.

Social Studies -- American History?

If heading back into the public school system is a real possibility, then sticking with the ps sequence of classes may be very helpful. Also consider using whatever text the local PS uses -- or something similar, like K-12. Perhaps this would be a good class to do as an AP class; Hippo Campus has a free text online: US History for AP. Here is more info about AP History for ideas on how to accomplish this course. There are other AP History courses out there, too.

If you are not interested in AP at this time, what about Notgrass (a Christian, mostly solo-working program), My Father's World (Christian, Literature-based), Oak Meadow (secular; curriculum, or, online) -- here are their Social Studies options.

Foreign Language -- Latin or Spanish?

Latin will help with all the Latin-based nomenclature used in the Medical Field. Not all universities accept Latin as a foreign language (some only accept a modern language). Spanish is the easiest language to find materials for, and she has some small past exposure to it to make it a little easier to do. But what language would she *enjoy*? That goes a LONG ways to making language learning easier! :)

Dual enrollment at the local community college may be a great option here. Generally, 1 semester of CC = 1 year of high school; there is conversation exposure during the class time; and taught by someone who knows what they are doing. I DON'T recommend Rosetta Stone, as there is not enough of a grammar portion to equal what is typically found in a credit program.

Fine Arts -- Music: Piano

Yes! You can count what DD is doing with Piano towards a Fine Arts credit. Credit approximations:

1.0 credit = 120-180 hours (45-60 minutes/day, 4-5 days a week)

0.5 credit = 60-90 hours

0.25 credit = 30-45 hours

...everyone wants to be together... My dh thinks I am just overwhelmed about the decision making and once we have curriculum I will be fine.

You've got great buy-in and support from the family, so that's a huge hurdle you DON'T have to clear! :) Once you've made your curriculum choices, you can relax and just get started with homeschooling high school. Then, SLOWLY, a little at a time, start researching the next things you'll need to know for high school. This thread with links to past threads on getting started and many other high school topics, and this thread on the high school "time table" (what to do and when in high school) will EVENTUALLY be good to look at -- but LATER, after you are into this year's routine. :)

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

You can take a look at http://www.ck12.org/ for some free high quality math and science courses, and at http://www.khanacademy.org/ for free math, science, humanities, finance, and computer science courses. Maybe you'll find something you like there. There are some fascinating free college level courses offered by major universities online as well.

Just :grouphug:. This was me a few weeks ago! Our plan fell through at the last minute and I had to plan the whole year in about 2 weeks..:willy_nilly: (I normally start the previous spring!) It was a bit rushed, but everything turned out ok. (Thanks to this board!)

You'll be fine!!

Hello. We have hs'd our dd who is entering 10th grade for most of her education. She did 9th at the local ps. We have just recently decided to hs for 10th grade. I am feeling overwhelmed and wondering if this is a mistake. I have been scouring the boards for information on all the possible curriculums. My daughter is interested in becoming a RN, specifically a NICU nurse. She had all A's at the ps.

My two older guys both did TT Geometry and had no problems at all with it. Both scored extremely well on the ACT/SAT with it. I recommend it and it's far less expensive than Chalkdust. Personally, I don't care for Saxon at the high school level, but I haven't seen their stand alone Geometry. TT gets routinely bashed on here, but IRL, I've only seen positive and very positive results.

Biology: I've looked at Shepard, Apologia with the DIVE cd (although to me these seem boring) We would also be interested in a secular program. We want something solid that can be done independently for the most part.

I haven't seen Shepard. My guys did well with Apologia, but we also kept a secular book here for them to read to see "both" sides. We started with Glencoe and ended up with Campbell's Advanced Bio book (just titled Biology, but used for Advanced Bio).

English/American Lit: I thought of registering her in a class elsewhere. I am looking at Seton. Also, finishing the AG we bought but never used. Also, thinking that if she wants to go back to ps they can accept this grade as if she was a transferring student. I feel she would benefit from having someone else grade her papers.

Lightning Lit has some options that would go along with American History or Notgrass for History also has reading options that go with it. Then supplement vocab and/or grammar. We used Wordly Wise.

History: ?? I am drawing a blank here. At the ps she was set up to take American History.

We really liked Notgrass... and I haven't seen anything else I've liked to recommend something else. It is a textbook - that bores some - but not my guys. We supplemented with videos from the History Channel here and there.

Foreign Language: She has completed in the past Prima Latina, LfC books A and B or most of it. She has been exposed to spanish as a kid and took a year of it at the ps but it wasn't very indepth. So either further study of Latin or Spanish or perhaps both. Recommendations? How much foreign language is typically needed to get into college?

All I can say is I DON'T recommend Rosetta Stone... It's one regret I have from homeschooling.

Then, my other advice is to realize that as long as you pick SOMETHING and keep her loving learning while doing it, things will work out. ;)

Just a thought . . .

Have you considered your local community college for some classes? It may be a good choice. My oldest dd (just turned 17) is now dual enrolled. She took an English Comp. class this summer and is taking another class now for the Fall Semester.

She studies paino. Could this be considered a credit? Could she have multiple years of piano as a credit if she continues to hs?

Ahhh...as I sit her thinking about all of this it seems so overwhelming. Maybe I should just send her to the ps but everyone wants to be together.

Anyone have any input on the curriculum? Other input? Be kind. My dh thinks I am just overwhelmed about the decision making and once we have curriculum I will be fine.

Homeschooling high school is scary at the beginning, but I think it will be such a blessing for both of you! I agree with your husband and think you will be more than fine. :001_smile:

Have you thought about doing full enrollment with Seton? The cost is reasonable, and having the lesson plans, books, grading and guidance included might be helpful for your first year of homeschooling high school. With it being accredited, that would also be helpful should your daughter choose to return to ps in the future. Seton is rigorous academically, but it sounds like your daughter is a good student and up for the challenge.

Did your daughter enjoy Saxon through 8/7? If she did, I'd suggest using Saxon. She could do their stand alone geometry this year and I'd also have her work through some of the Algebra 1 just to get up to speed with their style in prep for their Algebra 2 next year. Seton uses Saxon and has a wonderful math counselor available for help, but you can use any math program with independent study.

I like Apologia's biology. Seton will give credit for it, but requires that the student complete both the regular biology text and the anatomy and physiology one. Since she wants to go into nursing, this would be a positive anyway and would be good to have on her transcript.

English - yes it's awesome having someone else do the grading!

Seton usually does world history for 10th, but if she's had that already, she could do American History or World Geography.

Usually colleges want to see two or three years of a foreign language. Since she's done work with both Latin and Spanish, I'd ask her to pick which one she'd prefer to do. Seton uses Henle for Latin and I would definitely start in 10th instead of waiting until 11th to begin. No experience with their Spanish, but I hear it's also challenging. If you have a community college nearby, she could also consider taking Spanish there as each semester counts for a year's worth of high school language.

Piano could definitely be considered a fine arts credit. Depending on how much time she spends practicing, maybe a 1/2 credit each year, or a full credit if she's spending an hour a day.

Seton high school is time consuming, but the lesson plans are easy to follow and take away some of the guesswork, planning and second guessing. :)

I think it's awesome that your family wants to be together and I hope it's a wonderful year for all of you no matter what curricula you choose. :001_smile:

My understanding is that Saxon Alg 1 and 2 had geometry in it. I know colleges like to see a stand alone geometry. Then I noticed Saxon also has its own Geometry.

But many, many students--private and public school students as well as homeschoolers--have completed the Saxon series and successfully went on to college, so I'm not sure it would be accurate to say that "colleges like to see a stand-alone geometry."

Some schools just put Alg. 1, Alg. 2, and Geometry on their students' transcripts. Some homeschoolers do Alg. 1 with Geometry, Alg. 2 with Geometry, and Pre-Calculus with Geometry, then provide details in the course descriptions.

IOW, I wouldn't dismiss Saxon out of hand because there isn't a separate geometry course (not counting the new separate geometry course, lol).

Thanks everyone for their time and input!

Tomorrow is the first day of school here at the public schools. I am feeling overwhelmed a bit but it will be okay. Also, tomorrow I start driving to catch a free flight to Houston for medical follow up but that is a different story! Aaahhh. So, we won't really be starting but the kids will be working on what we have available so far.

Thanks for the links and ideas. I loved looking at the Khan site. Fabulous!

Still lots to think about.

So much money for the Chalkdust!! Woah. I saw a post about how to get it cheaper. Not sure I understand that. Is the standalone Saxon geometry good for a STEM student? What other ones. My dh says he can teach her this but I think it would be nice to have CDs or something where she doesn't have to wait for her Dad.

No, we don't have a CC here but we do have a 4 year college. I also thought about seeing if my dc could take Spanish online through the high school. Will wait to see about that.

Anymore suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Having said that, Saxon is a very solid program, better than TT for sure.
:confused: Ummm, really that's a judgment call. TT works fabulously for many, many kids! For us, 2 of my 3 kids deplored Saxon, so we used a different curriculum. I wouldn't "bash" Saxon, though, since I know many who have done well with it also.

My two older guys both did TT Geometry and had no problems at all with it. Both scored extremely well on the ACT/SAT with it. I recommend it and it's far less expensive than Chalkdust. Personally, I don't care for Saxon at the high school level, but I haven't seen their stand alone Geometry. TT gets routinely bashed on here, but IRL, I've only seen positive and very positive results.
Yes, thank you!

My point with this is that not all curriculums work well for all students. That doesn't make it a bad curriculum necessarily, it just may not work well with a certain child. Keep an open mind, since we can all give you suggestions, but noone here knows your dd like you do, so we can't say what will definitely work or not work! :001_smile:

All I can say is I DON'T recommend Rosetta Stone... It's one regret I have from homeschooling.

Then, my other advice is to realize that as long as you pick SOMETHING and keep her loving learning while doing it, things will work out. ;)

:iagree:

I'm making progress.

So far the plan is:

Geometry, right now we have Chalk Dust but I am hesitating about it due to the price. Wondering how Saxon would be.

English 10 from Seton. Enrolled.

Spanish Now I from Seton. Enrolled. Possibly with a tutor.

Biology. Using Holt book and materials combined with Science Sheperd labs as they have more dissection and hands on for my STEM kid.

Chemistry. Apologia with labs done with another Mom and her child. I wouldn't really want to combine two sciences but this is a good opportunity to do the labs with another experienced and excellent homeschooling Mom.

So, what do you think? I might want to add some history but I am not sure if this will be too much. She also is studying piano.

Thanks.

Hi Carpe!

We are using Saxon's stand-alone Geometry this year. This is my 2nd time thru it - we used it a few years ago when my older kid was homeschooling.

It's an excellent Geometry course. It does expect the student to be rock-solid in Algebra - there is no Algebra review at all and the student starts doing algebra right with the first lesson. DD used TT Algebra 1 last year and is doing great with the Saxon Geometry so far. I like it because the explanations in the book are really good and written to the student. I already had the Saxon book on hand or we would have probably used TT Geometry - it is another good upper level program but not cheap.

:grouphug: on the unexpected homeschooling! That happened here last year - DD18 decided to homeschool for the first time for her senior year. I was scrambling and reading reviews like a mad woman! Does she need a social studies credit this year? We used a program for Criminology for DD18 last year called Street Law by Glencoe. You can get the workbook and text on Amazon used and it's a really good civics overview on how the justice system is supposed to work.

Edited by AK_Mom4