Menu

Minor grammar rant.......Southerners......

I grew up in the South and I happen to think the word y'all is a perfectly acceptable contraction. However it is a plural "you all" meaning that you are addressing more than one person.

I recently started reading a book (candy) that had a character that constantly used "y'all" when talking to one person. I never could figure out if the other characters were in the room or not.

After about 50 pages my head hurt and I had to put the book down.

Mostly bad grammar doesn't bother me too much.

I have yet to figure out how this book got past editing.

I have a strong feeling neither the author nor the editor are from the South.

Or---- could I be wrong and now "y'all" is acceptable as singular??????

Edited by Lara in Colo

Well, first of all, it has to be "y'all". :) As you noted yourself, it's a contraction of "you" and "all". "Ya'll" just ain't right. ;)

I'm trying to think of instances where I've heard it used in a singular sense. I think it may be when addressing a single person as if that person was part of a group, so, telling one person how she and her whole family might be expected to behave, for instance. But if strictly addressing one person alone then it would seem odd to me as well.

Well, first of all, it has to be "y'all". :) As you noted yourself, it's a contraction of "you" and "all". "Ya'll" just ain't right. ;)

I'm trying to think of instances where I've heard it used in a singular sense. I think it may be when addressing a single person as if that person was part of a group, so, telling one person how she and her whole family might be expected to behave, for instance. But if strictly addressing one person alone then it would seem odd to me as well.

What Abbey said. (Especially the y'all vs ya'll part. My iPhone even corrected the ya'll.)

I was always taught that y'all can mean either one person or multiple people, but for clarity, with more than one person you should say all y'all. :D

Interesting. In my neck of the woods, you is one person, y'all is more than one person, and all y'all is mostly used when emphasizing that an entire group is being talked about.

You are welcome to stay for supper.

Y'all are welcome to stay for supper (anyone in the group, any mixture of people).

Aunt Lucy will be here, so all y'all should stay for supper (everyone in the group).

Either way, it makes me nuts when it's not properly contracted to y'all. It's a shortening of you all; why would it be split any other way??

Y'all, and yes it means more than one person. All y'all is an entire group as was mentioned in previous posts.

As an aside, when we first moved to Florida we still said youse - the NJ version of y'all. It was never youse guys. It was either you guys or youse. I get equally annoyed at youse guys and y'all used incorrectly. :D

Grammatically speaking:

"y'all" = the contraction of "you all"

"ya'll" = (presumably) a contraction of "you will" (with "ya" meaning "you", but written "ya" to indicate an accent)

In the context of this book: whenever "ya'll" appears, could it be replaced by "you will"? Then "ya'll" (as wrong as it looks) is be correct. OR, does the sentence make grammatical sense when you substitute "you all"? If so, then the author should have used "y'all".

And -- I'm with you, correct or not, extended use of dialect in the writing makes me put the book down and back away. Warmest regards, Lori D.

:leaving:

Edited by Lori D.

Interesting. In my neck of the woods, you is one person, y'all is more than one person, and all y'all is mostly used when emphasizing that an entire group is being talked about.

Y'all are welcome to stay for supper (anyone in the group, any mixture of people).

Aunt Lucy will be here, so all y'all should stay for supper (everyone in the group).

Either way, it makes me nuts when it's not properly contracted to y'all. It's a shortening of you all; why would it be split any other way??

This is what I always thought as well. Except that I say all of y'all.

I learned that y'all was when speaking to more than one person. My grandparents were from Alabama, and both had heavy Southern accents. All Y'all, if I remember correctly, was used for a group of people kind of spread out in a room. Or when referring to those you were speaking to and others not present. Like telling Jim and marie that they should come for a visit with all their children. Does that make sense?

Danielle

Edited by USDGAL

Y'all is never, ever used as a singular. Although I sporadically encounter people who aren't from the south who firmly believe it is.

Y'all is sometimes used to refer to a group when speaking to just one person. For example, I might call my SIL and say "Y'all come over for supper tomorrow night." But of course the meaning there is her entire family. Not just her. I think maybe that's where the confusion comes in.

I am from the South and I have never heard "y'all" used to address one person.

:iagree: I was born and raised in Georgia and have lived in Georgia all but one of my almost-52 years, and I have NEVER heard y'all used to address one person EXCEPT on television when people who don't know any better are attempting to sound "Southern". Ugh, ugh, ugh! <shudder>

I wonder if the British cringe when Americans try to sound British the way we Southerners do when people try to sound Southern. Hmmm...might be a good spin-off topic...

Edited by ereks mom

I am from the South and I have never heard "y'all" used to address one person. Or maybe I just haven't noticed because I am so used to hearing incorrect grammar. :confused:

Same here, except for the person enthusiastically trying to teach me about its usages.

Maybe it's a Mark Twain thing. Singular y'all is reserved for addressing kings, editors, and people with tapeworm?

No, no, no. Y'all (this is the correct spelling, not "ya'll") is ALWAYS plural. It means "you ALL", so there's no way it could be singular.

First, the writer of that novel must not be from the south. Y'all is plural. I would only use it with a single person in the room if I was referring to that person being part of a group (as in, "Is that what y'all do at your church?).

That being said, my great aunt (from West Tennessee) would write it both ways in her letters to me. 'Y'all' is plural for you all. 'Ya'll' was the contraction for 'you all will' as in 'Ya'll be here this Friday or next?"

:iagree: I grew up in the deep South - specifically South Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama, and I agree with both of these. Especially about the incorrect contraction of the word. Drives me nuts!

:iagree: I was born and raised in Georgia and have lived in Georgia all but one of my almost-52 years, and I have NEVER heard y'all used to address one person EXCEPT on television when people who don't know any better are attempting to sound "Southern". Ugh, ugh, ugh! <shudder>

I wonder if the British cringe when Americans try to sound British the way we Southerners do when people try to sound Southern. Hmmm...might be a good spin-off topic...

My grandmother saw Oklahoma! in England. She thought it was hysterical. We are from Oklahoma.

I hate it when a bad southern accent is used in media. ARGH! It is one of my biggest irritators when watching anything. I also hate it when the dumbest idiot in the group is nearly always portrayed with a slow southern accent. We may talk slow but we are not dumb clucks!

I hate it when a bad southern accent is used in media. ARGH! It is one of my biggest irritators when watching anything. I also hate it when the dumbest idiot in the group is nearly always portrayed with a slow southern accent. We may talk slow but we are not dumb clucks!

We just think about what we say before we say it. Helps keep our feet out of our mouths. Which is a good thing since we are often barefoot!:lol::D:lol:

So, is Here Comes Honey Boo Boo a "bad Southern accent"?

I was just wondering because it was subtitled, and I couldn't figure out why it needed to be, since even I could understand it.

Note: I wasn't watching trash on Youtube. I was conducting research into Aspects of Contemporary American Culture. ;)

ETA - I reckon y'all is a useful addition to the language too. Why should we miss out when so many other languages have their ihr, vous, etc pronoun.

Edited by Hotdrink

No, no, no. Y'all (this is the correct spelling, not "ya'll") is ALWAYS plural. It means "you ALL", so there's no way it could be singular.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I have also never heard anyone use ya'll as a contraction for you will, which was mentioned by a PP. Southerners say you'll like everyone else. Other languages have a distinct second person plural (Latin, Spanish, etc.). I don't know why this is so hard to understand even if one didn't grow up hearing this.

:iagree: I grew upon Texas, and this is the way it is here too. Transplants get it wrong for a bit, but they assimilate nicely over time. :)

First, the writer of that novel must not be from the south. Y'all is plural. I would only use it with a single person in the room if I was referring to that person being part of a group (as in, "Is that what y'all do at your church?).

That being said, my great aunt (from West Tennessee) would write it both ways in her letters to me. 'Y'all' is plural for you all. 'Ya'll' was the contraction for 'you all will' as in 'Ya'll be here this Friday or next?"

That's y'all'll :lol:

I think I actually say that sometimes. :blushing:

Well, and then there's y'alls, as in "I'll be y'alls server tonight," said by the sweet waitress at the restaurant. :D

I'm not going to get worked up over whether y'all is singular or plural. As long as I hear it in general conversation, I'm good to go. :D

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I have also never heard anyone use ya'll as a contraction for you will, which was mentioned by a PP. Southerners say you'll like everyone else. Other languages have a distinct second person plural (Latin, Spanish, etc.). I don't know why this is so hard to understand even if one didn't grow up hearing this.

:iagree:The proper contraction for you will is you'll. Sometimes it comes out y'ull...

That's y'all'll :lol:

I think I actually say that sometimes. :blushing:

I use it too...

The worst is Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins. Sometimes it's a relief when they just don't bother: Kevin Costner in Robin Hood, for example.

Meryl Streep always gets it perfect. Renee Zellweger is very good too.

In casual conversation: it doesn't worry me so long as it's affectionate.

Laura

Or---- could I be wrong and now "y'all" is acceptable as singular??????

In Kentucky, y'all can indeed be singular. In fact, I have observed that the standard plural form of y'all is all y'all, as in, "We'd like to see all y'all over to our place for the cookout."

Also, the possessive form is your all's, as in "I heard your all's house caught fire yesterday." :001_huh:

:lol:

Edited by Susan in KY

Well, and then there's y'alls, as in "I'll be y'alls server tonight," said by the sweet waitress at the restaurant. :D

I'm not going to get worked up over whether y'all is singular or plural. As long as I hear it in general conversation, I'm good to go. :D

But y'alls server should be y'all's as it shows possession. She is their server.

The worst is Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins. Sometimes it's a relief when they just don't bother: Kevin Costner in Robin Hood, for example.

Laura

:lol::lol::lol:

Laura

I always worry about this when I'm talking with British friends because, try as I might, I can't keep my accent from "drifting" in that direction and I'm sure it sounds terribly phony.

ETA - I reckon y'all is a useful addition to the language too. Why should we miss out when so many other languages have their ihr, vous, etc pronoun.

Ah, but but the second person plural is exactly what "you" used to be--back when we had "thou" as a second person singular pronoun. If y'all were universally adopted, maybe it would morph the same way--and then it could be used when addressing one person, and we could all get over stressing about bad grammar:D

Laura

His accent wasn't great but IMO no one could have been a better Bert. I still laugh at bits of his performance after the 50,000,000th viewing. :lol:

In Kentucky, y'all can indeed be singular. In fact, I have observed that the standard plural form of y'all is all y'all, as in, "We'd like to see all y'all over to our place for the cookout."

Also, the possessive form is your all's, as in "I heard your all's house caught fire yesterday." :001_huh:

:lol:

Is Kentucky Southern? If they don't know how to properly use y'all that clinches it as a no. Probably just some Midwesterners trying to pretend they are in fact a part of the South.