Menu

The Seven Laws of Teaching...

tuzor

First off I was typing and lost the entire conversation so this is an attempt to recapture what I wanted to say.

For those of you that have read the book I am wondering how do you self teach so that you can be the teacher described in the book. I am fearful and excited reading this book. My oldest is in the second grade and I admit that there have been times where my attitude was that of oh he is so young. I don't really need to prepare in advance for this or that. There are some things that don't require deeper study for me at his level however there several subjects that require me to really dig deep so that I can find the analogies and connections to his world in order to really transfer knowlege.

My question is how are you self teaching? Are you reading a chapter at a time prior to presenting information or are you spending intense time with the content during your down time/summer breaks to really absorb the informaiton for yourself so that you are prepared to transfer.

This little book is really opening my eyes. I don't want to disservice my children by lack of passion or knowlege.

I honestly have never read it. Your post inspired me to look it up and I see that Amazon has it available on Kindle for .99 here. I'm guessing you would recommend it then??? Or do you think this is one of those books that work better in paperback form so we can dog ear the pages and flip around easier than the Kindle?

I guess I'll read it -- hopefully it will inject me with an added dose of inspiration.

In the chapter on the Law of the Teacher it talks about four different degrees of knowing, (1) to know a fact faintly so as to recognize it when heard, (2) know the fact so as to be able to recall it for ourselves or describe it generally to another, (3) know the fact so as to be able to readily explain, prove and illustrate it, and (4) know the fact so that we vividly see it in its deeper significance and wider relations. It says, "It is this last form of knowledge which must be read into the law of the true teacher."

It seems to me that going a chapter ahead can only get you to (3) which may be all that I need or even want for a particular subject so in those I am fine with working just head. In future subjects though, especially those in high school, I will really need (4) and the only way to have a hope of getting there is by starting now to really dig deep and absorb it so I've started doing that with those subjects most important to me.

Also, even for certain subjects I'm teaching now, I can't really get to (4) without going much further ahead myself so that I understand the overall picture and the ends of these baby steps we're working on now. Just understanding the next step very well won't accomplish that. Even a little self education has helped me see teaching opportunities in the moment and to better discern what to stress and what not to stress in the present.

So, I guess my answer is - it depends on the subject. For the subjects I'm focused on, I'm doing a lot of reading of stuff my child won't come near for years. I'm having to really work hard to redeem my time to make opportunity for this (and that is a work in progress in itself).

In the chapter on the Law of the Teacher it talks about four different degrees of knowing, (1) to know a fact faintly so as to recognize it when heard, (2) know the fact so as to be able to recall it for ourselves or describe it generally to another, (3) know the fact so as to be able to readily explain, prove and illustrate it, and (4) know the fact so that we vividly see it in its deeper significance and wider relations. It says, "It is this last form of knowledge which must be read into the law of the true teacher."

It seems to me that going a chapter ahead can only get you to (3) which may be all that I need or even want for a particular subject so in those I am fine with working just head. In future subjects though, especially those in high school, I will really need (4) and the only way to have a hope of getting there is by starting now to really dig deep and absorb it so I've started doing that with those subjects most important to me.

Also, even for certain subjects I'm teaching now, I can't really get to (4) without going much further ahead myself so that I understand the overall picture and the ends of these baby steps we're working on now. Just understanding the next step very well won't accomplish that. Even a little self education has helped me see teaching opportunities in the moment and to better discern what to stress and what not to stress in the present.

So, I guess my answer is - it depends on the subject. For the subjects I'm focused on, I'm doing a lot of reading of stuff my child won't come near for years. I'm having to really work hard to redeem my time to make opportunity for this (and that is a work in progress in itself).

Wow, that puts things in perspective for me thanks. Start teaching myself now for the information that I plan to transfer in the future to my boys. (check) Which means I have a lot of work to do. I need to get started, I am heading to the library now.

I got the book on Kindle after the thread last week but I haven't started it yet. What you summarized above is very logical and sensible. It is a great explanation and quite lovely in concept. It lays out a perfect path of goals, but is perhaps most suitable for a single-subject, upper-level teacher or professor. I don't know that it is reasonable for a homeschooler to expect to get to #4 understanding in every subject at every grade level. In fact, I think it's virtually impossible.

I am glad I read this first because now I have the benefit of going in with the limitations inherent to my situation fresh in my mind. In order to keep me from getting overwhelmed or feeling inadequate to the task before me, I need to make allowances for the probability that this book wasn't written for my exact situation. I wonder who the original audience of the book was. I have a very hard time believing it was written to the person who teaches all grades, K-12, in succession. I mean, I could get to #4 understanding for all K-4 subjects fairly easily. I could get to #4 understanding for all middle grade subjects--with concerted effort, excellent planning, careful time management (family balance and all that), and pure dedication, but I could do it. Attaining #4 understanding for all high school subjects? :svengo: I don't see it. You're setting yourself up for failure to even try, in my humble (and admittedly ignorant) opinion. I don't know many people well-rounded and just plain brilliant enough to be at #4 understanding in physics, biology, American history, mathematics, English literature, grammar, world history, American literature, philosophy, government, economics, chemistry, foreign language... :willy_nilly: Oh, someone just shoot me now! :lol:

So, to the OP, I would say let your excitement keep you motivated but let pragmatism replace your fearfulness. Do not be afraid; be purposeful and realistic. Strive to do the best you can, knowing you can't do it all. As my eldest is approaching logic stage next year, I've been giving more thought to what I teach very well, what I teach reasonably well and could self-teach to bolster my current abilities, and what I teach merely adequately and might wish to outsource.

We cannot be #4 in everything. Sometimes we just have to settle for being #1. LOL! :lol:

(Say it with me! I'm #1! I'm #1! I'm #1 :tongue_smilie::lol::tongue_smilie::lol:)

let your excitement keep you motivated but let pragmatism replace your fearfulness. Do not be afraid; be purposeful and realistic. Strive to do the best you can, knowing you can't do it all. As my eldest is approaching logic stage next year, I've been giving more thought to what I teach very well, what I teach reasonably well and could self-teach to bolster my current abilities, and what I teach merely adequately and might wish to outsource.

We cannot be #4 in everything. Sometimes we just have to settle for being #1. LOL! :lol:

(Say it with me! I'm #1! I'm #1! I'm #1 :tongue_smilie::lol::tongue_smilie::lol:)

Thank you for this.

So, to the OP, I would say let your excitement keep you motivated but let pragmatism replace your fearfulness. Do not be afraid; be purposeful and realistic. Strive to do the best you can, knowing you can't do it all. As my eldest is approaching logic stage next year, I've been giving more thought to what I teach very well, what I teach reasonably well and could self-teach to bolster my current abilities, and what I teach merely adequately and might wish to outsource.

:hurray: Love this!