Menu

Elections and fear

I need to vent and my husband thinks I'm just being paranoid.

The elections for Quebec are on Tuesday to determine who will run the province. The frontrunner is a woman who is rabidly anti-anglophone and has already said that she will immediately force everyone to do all their business in French, speak in French in public, push out non-native Quebecois, and demand another referendum to separate Quebec from Canada. I speak French fluently, but I have an anglophone accent and it has caused trouble for me before.

Yesterday, I saw a customer in the restaurant I was in threatened with violence by another customer (a stranger to her) for sitting speaking English with her friend. The restaurant manager stood there, did nothing and watched with a smile. (Yes I did report it to head office).

I have heard similar stories from others of gas station attendants refusing to serve English customers and telling them to get out of the "country", sales associates already refusing to serve customers in English and banks refusing Anglophones loans because they expect them to be pushed out soon anyway.

I fear violence for my children if this woman wins the election. We are planning to move provinces next year anyway, but if this woman wins the election I don't know if we'll even be able to sell the house or if we'll have to just walk away....and then how would we ever even be able to rent elsewhere?

During the last referendum (vote to separate) in the nineties, the anti-anglo violence was so bad in my neighbourhood that I had to carry Raid to defend myself in case of attack, and warn my son never to speak English in public...and that was a respectable neighbourhood near downtown Montreal.

In short, I'm scared and there's nothing I can do about it, other than making sure I have enough gas money to get us out of here just in case. Thanks for letting me vent.

I need to vent and my husband thinks I'm just being paranoid.

The elections for Quebec are on Tuesday to determine who will run the province. The frontrunner is a woman who is rabidly anti-anglophone and has already said that she will immediately force everyone to do all their business in French, speak in French in public, push out non-native Quebecois, and demand another referendum to separate Quebec from Canada. I speak French fluently, but I have an anglophone accent and it has caused trouble for me before.

Yesterday, I saw a customer in the restaurant I was in threatened with violence by another customer (a stranger to her) for sitting speaking English with her friend. The restaurant manager stood there, did nothing and watched with a smile. (Yes I did report it to head office).

I have heard similar stories from others of gas station attendants refusing to serve English customers and telling them to get out of the "country", sales associates already refusing to serve customers in English and banks refusing Anglophones loans because they expect them to be pushed out soon anyway.

I fear violence for my children if this woman wins the election. We are planning to move provinces next year anyway, but if this woman wins the election I don't know if we'll even be able to sell the house or if we'll have to just walk away....and then how would we ever even be able to rent elsewhere?

During the last referendum (vote to separate) in the nineties, the anti-anglo violence was so bad in my neighbourhood that I had to carry Raid to defend myself in case of attack, and warn my son never to speak English in public...and that was a respectable neighbourhood near downtown Montreal.

In short, I'm scared and there's nothing I can do about it, other than making sure I have enough gas money to get us out of here just in case. Thanks for letting me vent.

Wow. I had no idea anything like this went on in Quebec. I would be scared, too, and preparing for contingencies (gas in the car, cash access, emergency kit packed and ready to go--like people do in hurricane country.) I will pray for the situation. Please keep us updated.

Wow! I have French-Canadian relatives in Montreal, and I remember the succession attempts in the 90's, but I never realized the violence and prejudice attached to this movement. My mom is down from Maine today and I read her your post. she said one of her aunts is a Quebecois, and during the whole thing in the 90's she and her kids got into it something fierce. If Quebec separated, they were leaving because they identified themselves as Canadian, while she was determined to stay. I remember the Canadians visiting while all this was happening and there were some pretty heavy debates going on.

I'm sorry you're living through this again. It must be frightening to face the prejudice. I had no idea English-speakers were treated that way -- probably because I was young last time this happened, and my relatives are French so whether or not they agreed or disagreed with the politics, they wouldn't face the prejudice you do. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Guest submarines

:grouphug: Are you in a rural area? I have anglophone friends in Montreal and Quebec City, and they've never witnessed anything like that. One of them also told me last week that for the first time ever Quebec doesn't care about separating anymore. But I guess one's experiences would be vastly different depending on the area.

Last time I was 5 minutes from downtown Montreal. This time I'm about 45 minutes away, in the suburbs near a rural area, but the stories from people I know are coming from all over the place.

I think that it's bringing out the worst in the nuttier people, but each of us who experiences it would assume it's an isolated incident until we hear from the other. I mean, who doesn't encounter a nut once in a while, right?

It's a real shame, too. I have been here for almost 22 years now and I have loved it here for the most part. Except around these elections and votes I have had very few problems.

Yeah, things can get pretty dicey in Quebec at times.

There was an article in the paper just a few wks ago, where a government official was refused service at the subway station and mocked b/c he spoke English.

My mother's ex dh was French Canadian. His mother, (who was American, btw) was rabidly against Anglophones...which made life interesting the few times I visited, b/c I don't speak French! She even threw a hissy b/c I was dating someone that was English speaking...wth?

when I visited, there were loads of ppl that *could* speak English, but refused to. I *needed* to learn French, and that was all there was to it, as far as they were concerned. I called it the 'Stump Syndrome', b/c that's exactly how I felt...like a tree stump that ppl ignored and just talked around.

And forget about attempting to speak French. I wasn't confident in it, I tried it, and you'd think I'd clubbed a basket of puppies. If I couldn't speak it perfectly, I'd better sit still and shut up. :glare:

I live in Ontario. Honestly, if Quebec attempts to separate again, I'm ready to let them. But, if you leave, you leave EVERYTHING behind. Come up with your own money, don't use Canadian dollars. Come up with your own government and don't expect any income from the rest of Canada. Navigate your own trade agreements and import and export agreements, and thank you for increasing my income by 50%. Because if Quebec separates they should be made to keep their milk and my dairy farm is going to be doing quite nicely filling in that gap, thank you.

All that being said, I don't think they should separate, we are CANADIANS not different nationalities if we are not united together then we are even weaker then we appear to the rest of the world.

I'm a former Ontarian myself, AmyOnTheFarm, and I agree wholeheartedly. They want to separate? Then it all separates.

However, my main concern at the moment is for my family's safety and removal of our basic rights, not to mention arriving back in Ontario and having to live in an unwinterized cottage if we had to walk away from an unsaleable house.

I would advise speaking only French in public. Work on your French. That is to avoid any aggression towards you and your children.

And...make a plan. Are you planning on moving because of the situation? Then get your house in order and start figuring things out.

Save money in a safe place in your house. Open a bank account elsewhere. Declutter now, and sell everything you don't need. Be ready.

I am so sorry things are like that--I had no idea.

---

What about tourists? Are they treating them badly as well? Tourists aren't going to speak good French either.

I would advise speaking only French in public. Work on your French. That is to avoid any aggression towards you and your children.

And...make a plan. Are you planning on moving because of the situation? Then get your house in order and start figuring things out.

Save money in a safe place in your house. Open a bank account elsewhere. Declutter now, and sell everything you don't need. Be ready.

---

What about tourists? Are they treating them badly as well? Tourists aren't going to speak good French either.

We don't have enough people to run things over here! We would be more than happy to welcome someone new around here no matter what their home language is or if they have an accent or not. Saskatchewan is doing really well right now too.

Everyone we know that travels to Montreal finds that as long as people know they are from the US they are willing to speak English and put up with bad French. Good customer service brings in money. ;)

When my extended family travels through Quebec they always make sure that the people near them know they speak Danish. Then they are happy to serve them, or help them when they speak English.

When I go to Quebec it's near the Ontario border. Every interaction I have had has been fine. My dh has numerous french friends since he grew up in Quebec.

Reading your post made me remember what it was like living as an anglo child in Montreal in 1977, when I was seven. I grew up in Ontario with a Quebecois mom, and though I understand some french I wasn't anywhere near fluent enough to get by with it. Moving to Montreal was a huge culture shock. Even when I tried speaking french, many people were blatantly rude. I was beaten up by francophone children on a near-daily basis. I remember one particular incident when an adult came over to intervene, then decided not to bother when my assailants told him I was anglo. My mom wanted to put me into an english school so I could make some friends, but the law at that time mandated that if either parent had been educated in french that their children had to be as well.

OP, I think you're right to be concerned for your children. I still have many relatives in Quebec and love the area, but I would be very reluctant to raise my kids there unless they were in fluent in accent-free french.

Quebec's threat to seperate is like a teen running away from home...but w/Daddy's credit card in his pocket, expecting full use of it, and never seeing a bill. :glare:

They also need to take their share of the debt too.

:iagree:

Thanks for asking BlueRidge. Unfortunately, the nutbar won. We plan to be out of here as soon as the house sells, if we can sell it now.

:grouphug:

Ah, but Quebec is a *distinct* society.

So they can discriminate and be dipsticks, yanno. *eyeroll*

:iagree:

I also had no idea. I assume the Americans who say they want to move to Canada also have no idea.

Well, this is mostly just an issue for Quebec.

I have plenty of Canadian friends who live their whole lives and never go to Quebec and don't speak a word of French. Just like there are plenty of Americans who never visit Illinois in their lives. If you move to the US and live in New Hampshire, you might not feel particularly effected by what happens in Chicago.

That said, this makes me so sad. I grew up in Plattsburgh, and just adore Montreal. I have a lot of personal history with Montreal, and I think it is one of the world's best cities.

I have plenty of Canadian friends who live their whole lives and never go to Quebec and don't speak a word of French. Just like there are plenty of Americans who never visit Illinois in their lives. If you move to the US and live in New Hampshire, you might not feel particularly effected by what happens in Chicago.

That said, this makes me so sad. I grew up in Plattsburgh, and just adore Montreal. I have a lot of personal history with Montreal, and I think it is one of the world's best cities.

Nope, not just Quebec's issue. It affects the whole country.

Fortunately they have a minority government so their ability to fully impact things like currency valuation, etc are limited........for now.

You can bet the rest of the country and the Feds especially, will be keeping a very close eye on Quebec.

OP - come to BC; it's lovely and homeschooling friendly, pretty much, here!

I've only been in Quebec once as a teenager, coming up on a school trip from NY where I grew up. The sales people were totally rude to us, even though we were spending money in their stores. I'd never experienced anything like it before.

I agree with the others - if you want to separate, separate, but then you'd better be totally, 100% separate.

Nope, not just Quebec's issue. It affects the whole country.

Fortunately they have a minority government so their ability to fully impact things like currency valuation, etc are limited........for now.

You can bet the rest of the country and the Feds especially, will be keeping a very close eye on Quebec.

Yeah, I get that it does effect the whole country in many ways. But, it doesn't change many admirable things about the True North, Strong and Free.

That is what I was taking about.

Wolf and I have been discussing Quebec seperating. Honestly, we don't see the downside, as far as the rest of Canada goes.

I mean...

Ends equality payments. More $ for the rest of Canada.

No more being held hostage, and Quebec getting speshul snowflake treatment in government.

Take their share of the debt.

Take what is actually their land (I think that leaves them w/about 1/3 of the land they have now...Plains of Abraham? That's about it)

So, other than tradition, what would Canada actually LOSE?

It isn't clear to me that Quebec wants to revist those issues. It sounds like this is a minority group within the province. It didn't win a majority government.

it's just the usual sword rattling that happens over and over and over again, kwim?

i'm honestly sick of it. Stay, go, but quit threatening. Seems like every time Quebec has an election, there's talk of separation.

The dignified and stylish minority with its superior food and artistic sensibilities, plus vastly superior romantic style. And smoking. Don't forget the smoking. What was that phrase, "merrymakers and sensualists"?

Wolf and I have been discussing Quebec seperating. Honestly, we don't see the downside, as far as the rest of Canada goes.

I mean...

Ends equality payments. More $ for the rest of Canada.

No more being held hostage, and Quebec getting speshul snowflake treatment in government.

Take their share of the debt.

Take what is actually their land (I think that leaves them w/about 1/3 of the land they have now...Plains of Abraham? That's about it)

:iagree: That what I've been saying for years.

---

It used to be that tourism was not a problem. There was patience for those coming to spend cash in their country. However, my alma mater just announced that they will no longer be taking the French students to Quebec due to the increased hatred. During their last trip, one of the students had a store owner throw something heavy at her head because of her accent - she's American, she isn't going to speak French without an accent, duh....if you come here, I'm pretty sure your English has an accent and we won't attempt to behead you for it!!!!! - and another student was cussed out (in French of course) by a restaurant employee. When the French professor - a former citizen of Quebec and one whose French is PRISTINE - tried to complain about their treatement, the manager told him to take his, unrepeatable string of profanities American Arse back where it belonged before something worse happened to him or his students.

So, when a university announces that the French majors can't make a two week trip to Montreal and Quebec City anymore due to safety concerns, then I think Quebec has a problem on its hands.

OP, I am soooooooooooooooo sorry that this is happening to you. I agree with the poster that said you should get a bank account opened in another province ASAP so you'll have access to money if you have to flee.

Faith

Me too!!

My grandmother grew up in Montreal. She was an anglophone. A catholic one. Apparently that was doubly bad!

I have always enjoyed trips to Montreal and I hope they can move past this stuff. Besides what breaking ties with Canada would cost them, anti-English sentiment is very bad for tourism, which is a big business up there.

I will say as a child I was always amused by the Montreal crowd who came to Plattsburgh to shop - and insisted on being waited on in French - then went home and insisted that up there, even street signs in English were not allowed. (Most street signs in Plattsburgh are bilingual due to the heavy Quebec influence in the area).

Good gracious! I had no clue it was this bad. OP I hope your family stays under the radar and stays safe. Take precautionary measures just in case. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Keep us updated.

Just like an unruly child, Quebec sounds like they need a good spanking from the rest of Canada to get them back in line. :tongue_smilie: