Menu

elemental science?

faiths13

would love to hear how others like this science. i was thinking about using it for my 11&13 yr olds this year. also, i was trying to decide if i get it which one to start with. my ds's have done a little life science and a little earth science, but mostly just alot of text reading with a few experiments. so i was thinking of just starting with life science because they prob didnt retain alot, but then i wasnt sure if i should just move on to maybe chemistry. thoughts?

would love to hear how others like this science. i was thinking about using it for my 11&13 yr olds this year. also, i was trying to decide if i get it which one to start with. my ds's have done a little life science and a little earth science, but mostly just alot of text reading with a few experiments. so i was thinking of just starting with life science because they prob didnt retain alot, but then i wasnt sure if i should just move on to maybe chemistry. thoughts?

We have only used the grammar levels but they were great. It is an easy science to get done.

We're doing Earth/Space and Physics grammar this year. It's super affordable, and easy to do. Last year we got bogged down in RSO because it was harder to gather what I needed to get stuff done. Another blogger and I were discussing how the readings from the Usborne Science Encyclopedia are pretty dry. My kiddo loves reading encyclopedias, so he doesn't mind as much. Either way, I have checked out books from the library every week that have to do with what we're studying to make it more interesting.

I really like it so far. I was reading through WTM, and was going to piece together our science this year. ES follows pretty much all of the WTM book suggestions, and is planned out for you. Can't beat that :) I haven't of course done the course you plan on doing. Maybe someone who has done a logic stage year can chime in.

We've used all the grammar levels and logic Bio. We're doing Earth Science logic this year and Earth Science grammar. If you want to do science WTM way this is the way to go! ES is simple and straight forward. My kids like it and it's the first science to get done in our house! We don't always do all the experiments, but they are easy ones to gather supplies for. I highly recommend it! Paige is really good about answering questions too. There's a Yahoo group for support as well as her website.

I'm using the Physics grammar stage right now and I've been pleased thus far. The kids read the assigned pages, write or narrate summaries, define terms, and then we do a demonstration. The materials are easy to gather; I keep a science bin for anything that might otherwise be recycled or thrown away. It's not so time consuming that I can't bring in additional videos or books, but when I'm just not feeling the science love, I know something tangible gets done.

This weekend, I reminded my daughter about an airflow demonstration we did while explaining how an airplane flies. I could see the light bulb go off in her head.

ETA: As far as which science to do, why not ask your kids? They're old enough to give you their input.

DS11 did grammar level Physics last year and it was a great success. We had lots of fun and I'm confident he got a very good grounding in Physics at this level.

We've also done bits and pieces of Biology and Astronomy and really enjoyed them.